Options

Wedding, March 1 (C&C invited)

Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
edited March 21, 2008 in Weddings
I had the pleasure of photographing the wedding of this older (but young at heart) couple. She called me sometime last September and, like many brides, didn't really know what she was looking for. I suggested she look around at the web-sites of some local photographers and find one who's style she liked.

:soapbox I'm not playing "hard to get". I just don't like the idea that a client may experience "buyer's remorse" by signing with me before they know all the options. This way, I know the client has had time to consider and that she/they really want me to be their photography. </soapbox>

Anyway, she calls back toward the end of January, we have the initial consultation toward the end of January and actually book the event a couple of days later. The wedding is/was March 1, 2008.

What made this a particularly interesting experience for me was the fact that I had an opportunity to shoot with Karrie (Karrie McD) as my second shooter. It's been great getting to know her over the last couple of months - we are members of a couple of local photography clubs. It was fun to finally shoot a gig with her.

1. I just find this one interesting on a number of different levels.
266078137_f5oqB-L.jpg

2. I think he has one of the best smiles!
266075732_73L6p-L.jpg

3. And, of course, the first kiss
266076146_aXkee-L.jpg

4. I love getting a shot or two of the kids - they are sometimes (usually?) the greater life of the party.
266325133_9FDkz-L.jpg

5. Pretty obvious what she's doing here - the same thing all brides do.
266326329_xydum-L.jpg

6. Like I said, Karrie was second shooter on this gig. This is one of her's that I really liked. The lady is singing for the new couple at the reception, but don't ask me what she was singing - I was busy pressing the shutter :D.
266326580_GN6dN-L.jpg

7. Same thing, from the another angle - but one of mine.
266326600_EZz38-L.jpg

8. Did I say I love kids - this is another of one Karrie's
266324187_LMA3Q-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,928 moderator
    edited March 17, 2008
    Nice set, Scott. The kids are terrific. I'll admit to being entirely intimidated at the thought of commenting on your wedding work, but I have to say that #5 doesn't really work for me. The gesture is good, but too much of the bride's face is blocked. The expression in #2 is excellent.

Take it all with a kilo of salt...I just do streets candids.

Cheers,
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    AS usual Scott your lighting and exposures are top notch. Nice stuff!!!thumb.gif

I agree with the previous poster about #5. Also it seems that the young man's face in #4 is a tad soft. It looks as if his sleeve is in sharper focus. But that could just be my eyes....I have been staring at PC monitors too much lately!!!

Great job.....

Thanks for sharing!!
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    My favorites are 3 and 7! Only thing that bothers me in #5 is the lady in blue is blocking the light and put the brides hand in a shadow. When I look at #7 I wonder why there was such a huge dropoff.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2008
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    Nice set, Scott. The kids are terrific. I'll admit to being entirely intimidated at the thought of commenting on your wedding work, but I have to say that #5 doesn't really work for me. The gesture is good, but too much of the bride's face is blocked. The expression in #2 is excellent.

Take it all with a kilo of salt...I just do streets candids.

Cheers,
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    AS usual Scott your lighting and exposures are top notch. Nice stuff!!!thumb.gif

I agree with the previous poster about #5. Also it seems that the young man's face in #4 is a tad soft. It looks as if his sleeve is in sharper focus. But that could just be my eyes....I have been staring at PC monitors too much lately!!!

Great job.....

Thanks for sharing!!
    evoryware wrote:
    My favorites are 3 and 7! Only thing that bothers me in #5 is the lady in blue is blocking the light and put the brides hand in a shadow. When I look at #7 I wonder why there was such a huge dropoff.

Thanks all for the comments.

RE: #4 - I didn't notice it before, buy you are absolutely correct about the focus having grabbed the sleeve and not the face. It's a tad soft, but I think it'll be acceptable to the clients.

RE: #5 - Correct on all counts. I shoot what happens, I wouldn't stage anything if I could get away with it. In this case, it was get the shot while I could 'cause it wasn't going to happen again.

evoryware - with respect to the "dropoff" in #7, a little more detail would help me a lot. I see a little light dropoff left to right (from the bride to the groom) which is to be expected as the primary light is off to the left in this shot (about 15 - 20' away). Is that what you are referring to? Thanks
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2008
    A little late to this, but I really like #3! The framing, colors and moment are all wonderful as if you had staged them, but the cool thing is that you did not! This is a benefit of having a 2nd shooter at the ceremony, the ability to move around and get different perspectives.

Speaking of, I really love 6 (awesome job, Karrie!). The exposure and DOF are perfect. It is tough to obtain flattering photos of folks when they're talking or singing, and you did a wonderful job.

I also like the different perspective of the same scene. Great job you two splitting up the "takes" on the events. It's harder than it looks, to figure out who is going to be where, when.

Looking forward to seeing more from you guys! thumb.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    ladytxladytx Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2008
    Beautiful job on all counts Scott.clap.gif
    LadyTX
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    I also like the different perspective of the same scene. Great job you two splitting up the "takes" on the events. It's harder than it looks, to figure out who is going to be where, when.
    Thanks for looking and for posting your comments. Not my best job to date, but it is what it is...

This is more a case of just looking around and making sure you're not in the other's shot background. Usually, I try to be 90 degrees from the other photog, and that's what I coached Karrie to try to do - seems to work well.