Options

D2H Settings

JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
edited March 18, 2005 in Cameras
Why do all my shots seem dull with the D2H, did I miss something in the settings? I am having to do color correction on my pics from it to make them look right.

Original
17750684-M.jpg

Auto color correction in smugmug, this is more like it really looked.
17745637-M-1.jpg

James.

Comments

• Options
    JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2005
    Did you upgrade the firmware?

What settings did you have it on?

Are you shooting in jpeg or NEF?
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2005
    I have not played with too much in way of settings. No, have not upgraded, I did not see where that cover anything like this. Shooting JPEG Large Fine.

James.
  • Options
    JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2005
    I mean, what did you have the camera set to? What was your shutter speed and all?

I upgraded mine. I heard it did some good changes and was worth upgrading.
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2005
    JohnR wrote:
    I mean, what did you have the camera set to? What was your shutter speed and all?

Date Taken:2005-03-18 21:14:43
    Date Digitized:2005-03-18 21:14:43
    Date Modified:2005-03-18 21:14:43
    Make:NIKON CORPORATION
    Model: NIKON D2H
    Size: 2464x1632
    Bytes: 1690470
    Aperture: f/8.5
    ISO: 200
    Focal Length: 120mm (180mm 35mm)
    Exposure Time: 0.0031s (10/3200)
    JPEG Quality:fine
    Exposure Program:Normal program
    Exposure Bias:0
    DigitalZoomRatio:1/1
    SensingMethod:One-chip color sensor
    ColorSpace:sRGB

James.
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2005
    JohnR wrote:

I read the info and it didn't sound related to exposure, just operational items.

James.
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2005
    I could be dead wrong here headscratch.gif, but looking at the two images it's looks like you metered a bright area (white on truck or building) and the camera turned it all to 18 % gray.

Again could be way off, don't even own that camera, but I've seen the same in my photos when I've metered only the bright (spot) and not adjusted, or allowed the camera to make an overall decision.

Hope that helps, if not you can ignore me :D
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2005
    bfjr wrote:
    I could be dead wrong here headscratch.gif, but looking at the two images it's looks like you metered a bright area (white on truck or building) and the camera turned it all to 18 % gray.

Again could be way off, don't even own that camera, but I've seen the same in my photos when I've metered only the bright (spot) and not adjusted, or allowed the camera to make an overall decision.

Hope that helps, if not you can ignore me :D
    I think you may not be that far off, except that I had it on the color matrix setting, I though that would adjust better than this, maybe I need to meter elsewhere.

James.
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2005
    I did not reframe after metering. I was working on the assumption that it could handle the large white areas when on color matrix. Is that anm incorrect assumption?

James.
  • Options
    david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2005
    James, I think your problem is that your image is under exposed. Look at this screenshot and see how far your histogram is shifted to the left.

17753095-L.jpg

Do you have any negative exposure compensation set? If not, you might want to add a positive exposure compensation.
    I'd play around with the exposure compensation setting until you like what you see.
    When you do the auto colour correction, it is looking for the lightest point and calling it white (or close to). This has the effect of stretching the histogram to the right to fill the range, giving the impression of a better exposed image.

Here's the same screenshot, but with your "corrected" image. See how much nicer the histogram looks. You need to aim to see this straight from the camera. There's a histogram display for the review on the camera LCD so you can see how you're doing as you shoot.
    17753706-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2005
    Thanks david, I may try that, I was on 0.

James.
  • Options
    david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2005
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    Thanks david, I may try that, I was on 0.

James.
    Also, I don't know what metering mode you are using, but I get best results with the matrix metering. You might know all about this already, but if not it's explained on page 84 (or 85?) in the manual. I use this in apature prority mode and usually get pretty good images straight from my camera - they just need a little fine tuning and I'm happy with them.

Edit: Duh - I just read your post where you already said you were using matrix metering.