Options

Photo Processing Computer Suggestions

CarnalSighCarnalSigh Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
edited March 23, 2008 in Digital Darkroom
I am planning to make a purchase of a computer system that will primarily be used for processing digital photos for my portrait business. I am wondering if there are any necessities I should focus on when picking the system. Haven't decided on mac or pc, or the size or type of monitor, tho I would like a panel/lcd type. My budget is $2500, but I'd like the most bang for my buck. Are there any companies with websites that sell systems specially designed for this use? What would YOU buy if you were in my position? Can I even get a really good set-up for what my budget allows? Thanks for any suggestions.
I use only Canon cameras and glass
www.portraitwhisperer.com

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited March 22, 2008
    I think I would seriously consider an iMac. It seems to be a very good value.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    I think I would seriously consider an iMac. It seems to be a very good value.
    thumb.gif
  • Options
    PoseidonPoseidon Registered Users Posts: 504 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2008
    I would think iMac as well. I have a MacPro, Macbook Pro, and even a Mac Mini that all work exceptionally well with PS. The iMac would be an ideal solution given your budget and need for a display.
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2008
    $2500? I hope part of the budget is to include very expensive software?

Serious, you can get an absolutely awesome-for-photo-editing PC and dual 20" widescreen monitors for about $1200 (or less). That leaves, what, $1300 for photoshop, monitor calibration tools, a nice scanner, printer, beer, and pizza.

If you go the Mac route there are lots of great people who can help you out and make suggestions. If you decide you want to go PC, let me know.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,885 moderator
    edited March 22, 2008
    While Apple make great computers, you should also consider service and support if this is to be your only processing computer and especially if you do any volume, or expect to.

Where I live, Apple repair is a considerable drive away. My son purchased a Dell workstation grade laptop, refurbished, but in splendid condition.

He had problems with the display about the same time he was shipping overseas (Marines). He shipped the laptop to me to sort out.

He had started the Dell support mechanism and they had wanted to drive to him for support on-base. Unfortunately, because of "his" schedule, he couldn't give them a time to meet to affect repairs.

Once I had his machine, and his service ticket number (the case number) I called Dell support and also sent them an e-mail. E-mail was responded to within a couple of hours and set up a repair appointment. The Dell support person was dispatched from middle Iowa, I live in northern IL, and he did come the day he said, but arrived late at night. He called me via cell phone to say that he was late, but he was driving in snow/sleet and ice. I told him he should not even try to finish his trip, not worry about me, and find a safe place to spend the night. (I had been watching the weather and "I" would not have driven at all that night.)

He called the next morning and came over early and was able to repair the machine by replacing the display. It did not take long at all. There was no charge for the repair.

I was extremely impressed with the Dell support mechanism and more impressed with the quality of people they employ.

Based on that experience, I have to recommend Dell workstation class computers if you want a Windows based PC. I would certainly purchase one except that I do my own service on my machines and I use desktop computers for photo and video work.

As for Windows/PC versus Mac, they both work for photo/image processing. I would concentrate on the service availability and software tool set to determine which platform and then purchase and set up a machine accordingly. I have no problem recommending Windows XP Pro or MCE or Mac OSX. Virus problems exist by and large for the Windows world, so that is also a consideration.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I would concentrate on the service availability and software tool set to determine which platform and then purchase and set up a machine accordingly.
    I choose the one that was stable...easy to use & didnt drive me crazy. I could not buy a product on the basis of ease of servicing myself.
  • Options
    CarnalSighCarnalSigh Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2008
    Thanks for the great input. If I went the route of a PC I'd most likely have one built to my specifications. To be honest, for budget reasons I think the PC would be a better deal. I can get a nice one built for under $1500, and get a really good monitor for around $500-$700. Whereas I've heard that macs are better for doing photography and video processing, but the prices are a little bit higher.

Service, while definitely something to consider, is not something that is a major factor in my decision making process. I've owned several computers over the years and not once have I had to get one serviced by the manufacturer. Therefore, the location of a service center is not really important to me. Perhaps I've just been lucky....I dunno.

Software is something I have to think about. I'm planning to upgrade from CS2 to CS3, and I believe it is Mac compatible, but I'm not sure about my digital photo professional software for my Canon. It probably would work, but I don't know for sure. I know nothing about calibration tools, but I know I need to invest in a good one. Is this stuff mainly software, or is there some external equipment that is a part of it that it works in conjunction with?
    I use only Canon cameras and glass
    www.portraitwhisperer.com
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2008
    Pupator wrote:
    $2500? I hope part of the budget is to include very expensive software?

Serious, you can get an absolutely awesome-for-photo-editing PC and dual 20" widescreen monitors for about $1200 (or less). That leaves, what, $1300 for photoshop, monitor calibration tools, a nice scanner, printer, beer, and pizza.

If you go the Mac route there are lots of great people who can help you out and make suggestions. If you decide you want to go PC, let me know.

So at $250 for a 20" monitor (note, a 6 bpp LCD monitor which isn't color accurate), you have $1K for a machine. Is this a BYO? Sounds like fun ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2008
    CatOne wrote:
    So at $250 for a 20" monitor (note, a 6 bpp LCD monitor which isn't color accurate), you have $1K for a machine. Is this a BYO? Sounds like fun ne_nau.gif

I said "dual" 20" monitors. So that's $750 for the machine, actually. I buy computers all the time for various small business owners, myself, and some associates who ask for help. For 99% of people, spending more than $750 on a desktop is totally unnecessary.
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2008
    I have both Windows and Mac machines. I work on a Windows machine but do personal photo stuff on a Mac at home. Both are good, but for the same processing speed and cost, the Mac Book Pro is faster than the same Lenovo set up running Windows XP.

The advantage of Windows though is that there are more options for hardware, software, and video monitors.

I think the ultimate question is what else do you want to do with the computer? Also if you go Mac you can always go Boot Camp and do both Win and Mac.thumb.gif
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2008
    Pupator wrote:
    I said "dual" 20" monitors. So that's $750 for the machine, actually. I buy computers all the time for various small business owners, myself, and some associates who ask for help. For 99% of people, spending more than $750 on a desktop is totally unnecessary.

Right. 2x$250 = $500 so you have $1K for the computer. I can see 20" monitors out there for $250 right now, but they're crap (they're TN 6 BPP panels).

Also, true, "for most people" spending more than $750 on a desktop is unnecessary... but if you're doing photography and chucking around 12 megapixel RAW files... it's probably not.
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2008
    CatOne wrote:
    Right. 2x$250 = $500 so you have $1K for the computer.
    Okay, except I didn't say $1500, I said $1200.
    I can see 20" monitors out there for $250 right now, but they're crap (they're TN 6 BPP panels).
    Monitor quality needed will vary from person to person, so I generally try to leave monitor prices out of it. My two monitors (color calibrated) serve me quite well, but you'd probably hate them! rolleyes1.gif
    Also, true, "for most people" spending more than $750 on a desktop is unnecessary... but if you're doing photography and chucking around 12 megapixel RAW files... it's probably not.

Core 2 Duo E6700 processors (or even Quad 6700 if you wanted)
    4GB Ram
    SATA Drives, DVD burners, memory card readers

What else do you need? I'm "chucking around 12 MP RAW files" just fine on a similar setup and it screams. I'm really not sure who needs these more expensive computers. Now if it's about wants, well that's a different story. After all, a Toyota Corolla gets you from A to B, but a Maserati looks better doing it!
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2008
    Pupator wrote:
    Okay, except I didn't say $1500, I said $1200.

Monitor quality needed will vary from person to person, so I generally try to leave monitor prices out of it. My two monitors (color calibrated) serve me quite well, but you'd probably hate them! rolleyes1.gif

Core 2 Duo E6700 processors (or even Quad 6700 if you wanted)
    4GB Ram
    SATA Drives, DVD burners, memory card readers

What else do you need? I'm "chucking around 12 MP RAW files" just fine on a similar setup and it screams. I'm really not sure who needs these more expensive computers. Now if it's about wants, well that's a different story. After all, a Toyota Corolla gets you from A to B, but a Maserati looks better doing it!

How about an OS? That adds $100 at least ;-)
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2008
    CatOne wrote:
    How about an OS? That adds $100 at least ;-)

Sorry, should have added that it comes with Vista Home Premium.

For example:

XPS 420
    (System Identifier: FCRRB1V3)

XPS 420 Mini-Tower: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6850 (4MB L2 Cache,3.0GHz,1333 FSB)
    Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium

System Price : $789.00

Memory
    4 GB DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz (4 DIMMs)
    Hard Disk Drive
    320 GB SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
    Video
    128MB ATI Radeon HD 2400 PRO
    Modem
    56K DataFax Modem

Media Bay
    16X DVD +/- RW w/dbl layer write capability

Network Interface Card
    Dell Internal PCI 802.11g Wireless NIC, FH
    Hardware Upgrade
    19 in 1 Media Reader with Bluetooth
    USB Keyboard
    USB 2 Button Mouse

Or, if you can sacrifice just a bit on the processor:

Inspiron 530s
    (System Identifier: Z2B5748Y)

Inspiron Desktop 530s Slim Tower: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E4500 (2MB L2 Cache,2.20GHz,800 FSB)
    Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium

System Price : $389.00

Memory
    3 GB DDR2 NON-ECC SDRAM 667MHz (4 DIMMs)
    Hard Disk Drive
    320 GB SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
    Modem
    56K DataFax Modem
    Media Bay
    16X DVD +/- RW w/dbl layer write capability
    Network Interface Card
    Dell Internal PCI Wireless NIC, HH
    Hardware Upgrade
    19 in 1 Media Reader with Bluetooth
    USB Keyboard
    USB 2 Button Mouse