Options

*found!!!* help me find this lens

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited March 19, 2005 in Flea Market
zeiss distagon 21mm f/2.8 no dealers have them in stock. i'm looking to buy one (or a hundred, if you come across a container-ful). please ask your friends, your friends' mom, grandpa, etc. if you have in your town, or know of a dealer that handles used zeiss glass, i'd be obliged if you made a phone call :bow

i will compensate you for your trouble if you can help me locate this gem.

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    morrisphotography2003morrisphotography2003 Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2005
    hey andy pricegrabber.com has it but it will cost ya 1647.90 sorry, that is all I could come up with so farne_nau.gif but I will keep looking.
    andy wrote:
    zeiss distagon 21mm f/2.8 no dealers have them in stock. i'm looking to buy one (or a hundred, if you come across a container-ful). please ask your friends, your friends' mom, grandpa, etc. if you have in your town, or know of a dealer that handles used zeiss glass, i'd be obliged if you made a phone call bowdown.gif

i will compensate you for your trouble if you can help me locate this gem.

thanks in advance.
  • Options
    BridgeCityBridgeCity Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2005
    I saw that one too.. but if you go to the site they say 4-6 weeks till in stock
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2005
    hey andy pricegrabber.com has it but it will cost ya 1647.90 sorry, that is all I could come up with so farne_nau.gif but I will keep looking.

oh please :D

don't tease me! i've seen pricegrabber, a zillion times. no retailers here in the u.s. have them.

thanks for trying though!
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2005
    BridgeCity wrote:
    I saw that one too.. but if you go to the site they say 4-6 weeks till in stock

dewds

i was born at night, but it wasn't last night lol3.gif

i've checked all the usual sources. i've googled till i'm goggle-eyed. i've got mates in europe, asia, and oz looking for this for me ... but .. the more the merrier so your help is appreciated. deal.gif
  • Options
    Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2005
    You know your friends mwink.gif
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2005
    michiel de brieder comes through!
    michiel has found, this "un-findable" lens for me, at a little dutch camera shop :D

bowdown.gif
    bowdown.gif
    bowdown.gif

thank you michiel!

and, since it's *all about the food*, i'm sending you some extra euros so that you can enjoy a nice meal out on me (we expect photos!).

thanks michiel, you rawk!
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2005
    andy wrote:
    and, since it's *all about the food*, i'm sending you some extra euros so that you can enjoy a nice meal out on me (we expect photos!).

thanks michiel, you rawk!
    ylsuper.gif There's this little restaurant going for an extra star and... :lol who knows mwink.gif I'll make sure to take pitchas!
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2005
    ylsuper.gif There's this little restaurant going for an extra star and... :lol who knows mwink.gif I'll make sure to take pitchas!

funding complete, m8

btw - anyone else, i'll buy more of these if you can find 'em :D
  • Options
    larklark Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2005
    Andy,
    could you tell us about this lens?

also, I have a DsMK2 and a 20D for backup(same as you I think)...do you find yourself using the 20D less and less in favor of the MK2? Mine seems to be spending a lot of sitting time lately...just wondering if others are finding the same thing.

Den
    den.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2005
    lark wrote:
    Andy,
    could you tell us about this lens?

also, I have a DsMK2 and a 20D for backup(same as you I think)...do you find yourself using the 20D less and less in favor of the MK2? Mine seems to be spending a lot of sitting time lately...just wondering if others are finding the same thing.

Den

after humungus-sized lens research for wa options on canon ff bodies, the universal conclusion is that the zeiss distagon 21mm f/2.8 is the bees knees. nothing approaches it's level of sharpness when tripodded, stopped down to say f/8, f/11, and shooting landscape (can you say yosemite?)... there's some thoughts and findings of mine in this zeiss distagon thread as well as some 100% crops. you focus manually. and you need to buy an adapter to mount the lens on the canon mount. adapter is about 120 bucks.

the zeiss glass is hard to find, rumors about no more production have sent prices thru the roof. a 1/2 dozen recently sold at auction on fm for well over 2000usd. i'm now the proud owner of an distagon 18mm f/4 and thanks to michiel here, the distagon 21mm f/2.8 (really really really reall hard to find!).

your second question -- i do not have a 20d for backup, only the 1Ds Mark II...
  • Options
    larklark Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2005
    thanks and congratulations on getting the 2.8!

So,.....did you get any leads on more anywhere else? how about the 18mm/f4?............for Yosemite.

Den
    den.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2005
    lark wrote:
    thanks and congratulations on getting the 2.8!

So,.....did you get any leads on more anywhere else? how about the 18mm/f4?............for Yosemite.

Den

i have the 18 f/4 and i'm sure i'll be parting with it now i've found the 21 ... interested?
  • Options
    Charlie GastCharlie Gast Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited March 17, 2005
    Me too me too!
    You know your friends mwink.gif
    :D

Hi Michiel,

I too am seeking the 21mm 2.8 Distagon. I work for Philips. I have a colleague going to Eindhoven next week. Any help you might provide to get me connected to one of these lenses so he can bring it back would be greatly appreciated!

Best regards,

Charlie
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2005
    :D

Hi Michiel,

I too am seeking the 21mm 2.8 Distagon. I work for Philips. I have a colleague going to Eindhoven next week. Any help you might provide to get me connected to one of these lenses so he can bring it back would be greatly appreciated!

Best regards,

Charlie
    Hey Charlie

I had loads of luck finding the one for Andy (although it took me just 15 minutes :D) I have tracked 2 others, but the price is pretty steep. E-mail or PM me, then I can give you price, location etc!
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2005
    If anyone's interested there's one up for auction HERE
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2005
    gubbs wrote:
    If anyone's interested there's one up for auction HERE

there's a feeding frenzy for this glass...
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2005
    Yo, Andy
    Why did you sell your Zeiss 21 and 18 just a day after looking for a 21? The dates of the posts are so close its hard to tell which happened first.
    Did you already have a 21 and think it a bad copy, or did you finally get the sought after glass and find it not as good as billed to be?

Just curious

Charlie1drink.gif
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2005
    Why did you sell your Zeiss 21 and 18 just a day after looking for a 21? The dates of the posts are so close its hard to tell which happened first.
    Did you already have a 21 and think it a bad copy, or did you finally get the sought after glass and find it not as good as billed to be?

Just curious

Charlie1drink.gif

the glass is stellar.

i was searching for the ultimate wa lenses for my canon 1Ds Mark II. and then after finding them, i ended up changing from the full frame camera back to a 20d.

thanks
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2005
    andy wrote:
    the glass is stellar.

i was searching for the ultimate wa lenses for my canon 1Ds Mark II. and then after finding them, i ended up changing from the full frame camera back to a 20d.

thanks
    So then after the research you decided all the fuss (and expen$e) the FF was not really worth it?
    I sometimes wonder myself.
    But I must carry on!!!!
    Oh my
    eek7.gif

Charlie
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2005
    So then after the research you decided all the fuss (and expen$e) the FF was not really worth it?
    I sometimes wonder myself.
    But I must carry on!!!!
    Oh my
    eek7.gif

Charlie

oh it's really worth it! the 1Ds Mark II is an outstanding piece of gear. i'm really glad i used it for three months. for my particular style of shooting, though, the 20d is better suited. if i did, say, 1/3 studio, 1/3 'podded landscape work, and 1/3 situational & street work, i'd have kept it. but, i do maybe 2/3s situational and street work, and 1/3 landscape. and a bit of studio but not much.

thanks.