Options

API request: Category management

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
This issue has been brought up several times already, but the need is getting stronger by the day, so I ask again:

Don, Chris, can we PLEASE have some category management API?

I'm not even asking for a full spectrum (create, delete, rename, move) at this point, simply having createCategory and createSubCategory would make our life SOOOO much better..

Thank you very much in advance!
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Options
    edited March 12, 2005
    Am I the only one who needs this?
    Just curious.. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2005
    I need it too, so you can integrate it into SE! mwink.gif
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2005
    I guess it's only you and me then..
    I need it too, so you can integrate it into SE! mwink.gif
    since neither SM-ppl, nor fellow 3d party guys, nor anybody else seem to care..:cry
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    since neither SM-ppl, nor fellow 3d party guys, nor anybody else seem to care..:cry
    I guys our fellow SM-people are a busy like always and I guess especially at the weekend they have other plans/ways to spent their nights when there's no emergency at SM-HQ. rolleyes1.gif
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2005
    Wish it were true
    I guys our fellow SM-people are a busy like always and I guess especially at the weekend they have other plans/ways to spent their nights when there's no emergency at SM-HQ. rolleyes1.gif
    And on Monday this thread becomes as popular as the color management one, where all SM guys spent quite some time (during the same weekend) :D
    Not that I'm bitter :):

How's weather in .de domain?

Nik
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    And on Monday this thread becomes as popular as the color management one, where all SM guys spent quite some time (during the same weekend) :D
    Not that I'm bitter :):

How's weather in .de domain?

Nik
    I followed this thread too and I guess that was one of the emergencies that happen during the weekend...I mean the one complaining was about to leave the SM-house as far as I understood it and that's never a good thing for a company.

Concerning the weather...cloudy, cloudy and did I mention cloudy? Ok, Thursday was just great and we had some sunrays today, too(which melted the snow from the night) , but it just isn't right...especially to take photos. umph.gif

How's the weather in your place at this time? (is there something like winter)
    I just fooled around a littlebit with my new toy and google maps:
    17482438-L.jpg
    Do you recognize something? :D (bigger cities have a better resolution and color)
    Nice golf course you have there.
    (done with NASA World Wind, Whois and google map)
    By the way you have a typo in your domain registration...Westalke

Disclaimer: Just a little fun. Hope I didn't cross any borders! If it bothers you I'll take it down.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2005
    Weather, maps, etc.
    How's the weather in your place at this time? (is there something like winter)
    Winter here is your regular rainy summer:-)
    I just fooled around a littlebit with my new toy and google maps
    Do you recognize something? :D (bigger cities have a better resolution and color)
    Nice golf course you have there.
    (done with NASA World Wind, Whois and google map)
    Good job! Actually, the rect building (its' nothern part is visible on the bottom rhp, the only one under "X" formed by the roads) is the office building I work at during the day:-). My office windows are facing NNE, the "\" road, almost at the east corder, in front of the tree. Score!

I recently tried globe explorer and I could see a nice image of my house: pool, backyard, driveway, neighbors cars - all clearly visible..
    By the way you have a typo in your domain registration...Westalke
    Thanks, I'll see to it..
    Disclaimer: Just a little fun. Hope I didn't cross any borders! If it bothers you I'll take it down.
    Absolutely not a problem, man! Appreciate your time (and concerns:-)!

Sebastian[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2005
    Good thing about World Wind is that it's free...so no watermarks like in globe explorer. And there are a lot of additional data sources you can display. Funny thing to play around with.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2005
    Downloading...
    Good thing about World Wind is that it's free...so no watermarks like in globe explorer. And there are a lot of additional data sources you can display. Funny thing to play around with.
    It's one hefty download, probably biggest I ever did at home. Hope it'll worth it:-). If what they say is true, with my new 3.5GHz machine and nice video card it should be a blast:-)
    Thanks for the advice!thumb.gif
    Cheers!1drink.gif
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    It's one hefty download, probably biggest I ever did at home. Hope it'll worth it:-). If what they say is true, with my new 3.5GHz machine and nice video card it should be a blast:-)
    Thanks for the advice!thumb.gif
    Cheers!1drink.gif
    180MB hefty download? Never downloaded a linux distribution (did it for my father, just 3GB) for someone or something like that? rolleyes1.gif
    So you're not such a downloader, but you must have uploaded a whole lot of GB worth of pictures! Especially if you've got such a big connection to offer your mass upload service.

The program is worth the download in my oppinion, the servers are just slow from time to time over here in Germany. You'll have a lot of fun on your huge screen I guess and it'll also like the rest of your setup.

Be sure to check out my [url="worldwind://goto/world=Earth&lat=51.86670&lon=12.65000"]hometown[/url] and [url="worldwind://goto/world=Earth&lat=51.36789&lon=12.34902&alt=3846"]Leipzig[/url], where I study at the moment. (try one of the Landsat-map-layers for best view)
    On your place I used the "USGS Digital Ortho" and "USGS Urban Area Ortho" works best in selected huge cities e.g. LA.

Have fun! :D
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2005
    I said: *home* :-)
    180MB hefty download? Never downloaded a linux distribution (did it for my father, just 3GB) for someone or something like that?
    At home I only have 1.5 down/300 up cable. And, as I confessed before, I'm such an MS zealot, I mostly download windows patches...:D
    So you're not such a downloader, but you must have uploaded a whole lot of GB worth of pictures! Especially if you've got such a big connection to offer your mass upload service.
    Yes, uploading (esp. pictures) is otra cosa aparte..:-) But I have other arrangements for those, *much* faster (probably 20-30 times faster:-)...

Thanks for the links!thumb.gif
    Cheers!1drink.gif
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    At home I only have 1.5 down/300 up cable. And, as I confessed before, I'm such an MS zealot, I mostly download windows patches...:D
    My DSL has 1000 down, but I'm stuck with 128 up! :cry
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2005
    That was the reason
    My DSL has 1000 down, but I'm stuck with 128 up! :cry
    ... why I switched to cable (my dsl was about same as yours, or worse, since I was at the very end of the "last mile"). Download speed was ok as it was, but upload is now 3 times faster:-). Also far less drops..

For locals (DavidTO, jwear, et al): I was with Verizon DSL, now switched to Adelphia Cable, even though I'm not using their TV service (I'm with Dish Network HDTV), otherwise it'd be even a better deal:-)

HTH

Cheers!1drink.gif
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2005
    NASA World Wind
    Man it rocks! Thank you!thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    Man it rocks! Thank you!thumb.gif
    Glad you like it. It's a really nice toy to look at the world with a different perspective. thumb.gif

We actually managed through our posting meelee from yesterday that nobody else felt the need to answear...:uhoh
    10hours ago I put the picture of your golf-course on smugmug and there were 13hits so far. Maybe you should change the thread title to something more thrilling. ne_nau.gif
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2005
    I got some help
    Glad you like it. It's a really nice toy to look at the world with a different perspective. thumb.gif

We actually managed through our posting meelee from yesterday that nobody else felt the need to answear...:uhoh
    10hours ago I put the picture of your golf-course on smugmug and there were 13hits so far. Maybe you should change the thread title to something more thrilling. ne_nau.gif
    .. from one of the fellow 3d party guys :-)
    It's definitely a hack, but it should get me going:-)
    I'll wrap it, so in case SoMebody decides to create an API I'll simple replace my routine body with a cleaner one, but it definitely better than nothing:-)

WW - I like to set it to a sharp angle and "fly"... :-)
    My nVidia video card does a good job with rendering, and widescreen display makes it perfect:-). I was able to visit my home town in Russia, places in Europe and US where I have been - very nice:-)

Cheers!1drink.gif
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    It's definitely a hack, but it should get me going:-)
    I'll wrap it, so in case SoMebody decides to create an API I'll simple replace my routine body with a cleaner one, but it definitely better than nothing:-)
    Great, thanks to the fellow who gave you the hack. I'm looking forward to it.
    Nikolai wrote:
    WW - I like to set it to a sharp angle and "fly"... :-)
    My nVidia video card does a good job with rendering, and widescreen display makes it perfect:-). I was able to visit my home town in Russia, places in Europe and US where I have been - very nice:-)
    Yeah, that's very nice. Too bad the available map-data isn't that detailed like in the US. Hope they'll release some additional data in the near future.
    As far as I know you can even write scripts for it and therefore let the program be the captain of your plane. :D

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 15, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    ne_nau.gif

hehe mwink.gif
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2005
    devbobo wrote:
    ne_nau.gif

hehe mwink.gif
    I knew it. mwink.gif Thanks!
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    K.VanK.Van Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited March 18, 2005
    This would be a great addition to SE
    Nikolai wrote:
    This issue has been brought up several times already, but the need is getting stronger by the day, so I ask again:

Don, Chris, can we PLEASE have some category management API?

I'm not even asking for a full spectrum (create, delete, rename, move) at this point, simply having createCategory and createSubCategory would make our life SOOOO much better..

Thank you very much in advance!
    Yes please! This would definitely help speed up my workflow since I would only have to use one interface.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2005
    Since it was a PM
    devbobo wrote:
    ne_nau.gif

hehe mwink.gif
    I was concerned about "privacy" issue, hence my relactuncy to disclose the source.:-) Yet as far as the "source" hisself does not seem to have this issue - yes, it was "Da Smugmug Hacker" thumb.gif
    Thanks again, man!
    Cheers!1drink.gif