Options

Norman Lighting Kits

blackwaterstudioblackwaterstudio Registered Users Posts: 779 Major grins
edited March 19, 2005 in Accessories
I'm looking at picking up a Norman KC1000-2 light kit.

It comes with;
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    [*]2
    [/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]C1000 Norman Allure Constant Light Lamphead[/font]
    [*]2
    [/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]C1000 Norman Allure Constant Light Lamphead[/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

[*]2
    [/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]LS224-1 10' Air Cushioned Light Stand[/font]
    [*]2
    [/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]WB45 White Satin Umbrella[/font]
    [*]2
    [/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]QL350 350 Watt Quartz Lamp[/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2[/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]QL650 650 Watt Quartz Lamp[/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

[*]1
    [/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Light Weight Travel Case[/font]

http://www.photo-control.com/norman/kc1000-2.htm

Anyone have any experience with these? Looking for something to start out with and its fairly inexpensive.

Comments

• Options
      ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
      edited March 18, 2005
      I'm looking at picking up a Norman KC1000-2 light kit.

It comes with;

• [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
      • 2[/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]C1000 Norman Allure Constant Light Lamphead[/font]
      • 2[/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]C1000 Norman Allure Constant Light Lamphead[/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
      • 2[/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]LS224-1 10' Air Cushioned Light Stand[/font]
      • 2[/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]WB45 White Satin Umbrella[/font]
      • 2[/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]QL350 350 Watt Quartz Lamp[/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2[/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]QL650 650 Watt Quartz Lamp[/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
      • 1[/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Light Weight Travel Case[/font]
      http://www.photo-control.com/norman/kc1000-2.htm

Anyone have any experience with these? Looking for something to start out with and its fairly inexpensive.
      I'm on the lookout as well so no real experience.

There are a few companies beside Norman that offer kits. Alien Bees and
      Photoflex are two that come to mind.

If you look through Shutterbug (local library), you'll find some of the
      components reviewed.

Good luck!

Ian
      Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    • Options
      wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
      edited March 18, 2005
      I've used Norman lights before but only their studio flash units. Their gear seems to be pretty well made - certainly not the high end stuff but well made and quite dependable.

Other than cost, why are you choosing a constant light system instead of flash units? Quartz lights get hot fast for people and static subjects. Just wondering, not criticizing.
      john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
      Edward Steichen

• Options
      edited March 18, 2005
      I've used Norman lights before but only their studio flash units. Their gear seems to be pretty well made - certainly not the high end stuff but well made and quite dependable.

Other than cost, why are you choosing a constant light system instead of flash units? Quartz lights get hot fast for people and static subjects. Just wondering, not criticizing.
      That was going to be my next question :) Constant light or Strobes. Alienbee's has a two light package for about the same price.
    • Options
      wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
      edited March 19, 2005
      That was going to be my next question :) Constant light or Strobes. Alienbee's has a two light package for about the same price.
      I like flash units.

I know that with the "digital renaissance" that we are in, constant light sources seem to be on the comeback trail to a certain degree. And I can see some value in them, ie. you see exactly what you're going to get with no secondary modeling lights & your shot is pretty simple to meter. And the [font=Geneva, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]daylight balanced flourescents would be interesting to use for portraits (large soft light source).[/font]

But, if you're shooting anything that moves, flashes stop subject movement blurriness (mostly). Studio flash units of any type kick out lots more light. More light means more flexibility to me. No heat when using the flash units except for a little coming off the modeling light. It's usually easier to get light modifiers (grids, barn doors, gels, etc) for flash units. [font=Geneva, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Strobes are also essential when balancing with a daylight light source if your shot includes a window, etc.

A year ago when I started shooting again (used to have a small studio a couple of decades ago in a different state), I bought a Novatron studio flash kit on eBay for about $300. (w/400ws powerpack). Here's a shot using the Novatron kit:

17031429-M.jpg

Not perfect but the customer was happy.

It works okay but it's not too bright and the recycle times are slow. I'm also looking at the Alien Bees stuff. Paul Buff makes them and he's had a great reputation for a bunch of years. You might also want to check out his White Lightning line of strobes, http://www.white-lightning.com/. One slight recommendation though - if you get the two light "Digi Bee" kit, spend a $100 more and upgrade the two flashes to the B800 version. In the long run you'll be happier with the added light and flexibility you get.

If I had deep pockets, I might go for Profoto, Bowens, or Elinchrom studio stobes . . . and drive to my next gig in a Range Rover! But the Alien Bees or White Lightning gear fits my current needs and will probably be my next purchase.

Two links:
      Alien Bees test review

One more

My thoughts . . .
      thumb.gif
      [/font]
      john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
      Edward Steichen

• Options
      edited March 19, 2005
      Thanks for the detailed reply, I belive I'll look into the Alienbee's kit and do the upgrade to B800's.

On a side note, you mentioned Elinchrom, I'm looking at 8 of their strobes for the hockey rink I shoot at. Since I'm their team photographer I'm pushing for them to grab the 8 head kit.