Options

How to actually make a logo?

MichaelKirkMichaelKirk Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
edited March 26, 2008 in Finishing School
So I've decided I need to design and make a logo for myself, how do I actually go about doing this. I'm pretty new to CS3 - can it be done on CS3?

Sorry for the basic into question, but I just have no idea where to start.
I am looking for something pretty simple...along the lines of this.

Comments

• Options
    i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2008
    That logo looks quite busy and the internal swooshes and name don't really stand out to me ne_nau.gif However, they could be made in CS3. I think I would take the pen and use bezier curves to cut out what you wanted for the swish things.

Truth be known, when I finally decide on a design I'm probably going to do a 'flat' in CS3 and then a 3D version in blender or lightwave or if I'm super bored swift3d.

(If you have the whole CS3 package it may be best to do a vector graphic in Illustrator then drag into PS for touch up so it scales well)

ne_nau.gif
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • Options
    MichaelKirkMichaelKirk Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2008
    Thanks for the start
    The "Logo" portion is only blue and green - the white is a watermark.
    I am using it only as an example of the simlicity of what I may be looking to design on my own.

Michael

That logo looks quite busy and the internal swooshes and name don't really stand out to me ne_nau.gif However, they could be made in CS3. I think I would take the pen and use bezier curves to cut out what you wanted for the swish things.

Truth be known, when I finally decide on a design I'm probably going to do a 'flat' in CS3 and then a 3D version in blender or lightwave or if I'm super bored swift3d.

(If you have the whole CS3 package it may be best to do a vector graphic in Illustrator then drag into PS for touch up so it scales well)

ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    ~Jan~~Jan~ Registered Users Posts: 966 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2008
    I think most pro logo designers use software other than Photoshop. That being said, I designed mine awhile ago using Elements 5.0. It's nothing fancy, but it worked. I saved it as a PNG for future edits and then as a JPG to add to my things.
  • Options
    HirschHirsch Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited March 25, 2008
    I would absolutely make a logo in a vector based program. Much more flexebility. Easy to size & change colors for all potential uses; business cards, letterheads, shirts, etc. As always though, IMHO. :D
  • Options
    HiSPLHiSPL Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2008
    Start by limiting yourself to the text tool in PS. By only using text you can really get to the nitty gritty of what you want to accomplish. After you build your text-only logo to the point that you like it, you can then step back and decide if you want embellishments like those "swooshes".

The text tool is very powerful and lets you do so much to plain text that the possibilities are endless.

A good logo is simple, strong, readable, and eye catching. Just keep these in mind when designing yours.

BTW, heres mine. Made only with the text tool!

220306043_xgxSd-L-1.jpg

And here's my wife's. Also made with only the text tool.

156534990_AdcFN-L.jpg
  • Options
    OspreyOsprey Registered Users Posts: 162 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2008
    Easy way to a cool logo
    I have tried different approaches, the one that works best is to go to

http://www.thelogocreator.com/

You can download a trial copy and should be able to come up with a logo with this. If necessary you can buy more templates but I have never had to. I made my wacko logo with this program.

Roger:ivar
  • Options
    Slinky0390Slinky0390 Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2008
    If you're going for simple, less is more. Look at what I have as a header on my smugmug, it's simple, to the point, and gets the job done. slinky0390.smugmug.com You could always design something in Photoshop, but when you open yourself up to that many tools, your logo could become pretty convoluted. Try using some text, and change colors and the font a bit. HiSPL has a great example
    Canon eos 30d; EF 17-40 f/4.0L; EF 24-85mm f/3.5; EF 50mm f/1.4; EF 70-200mm f/4.0L; Unicorns of various horn lenghts
    http://slinky0390.smugmug.com