Options

LightRomm help needed

GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
edited March 26, 2008 in Finishing School
I need to know where I change the settings in LR to dump my imported photos to my external drive.

My main C drive is getting full and I wanna MOVE the directories if possible without loosing what I've imported.

TIA
Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/

Comments

• Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2008
    Actually somewhat simple. Create the root FOlder on the External HD you want to dump your image folder tree in. Put any old single image in it.

Import that image! Now it shows in the Folder List in LR. Just drag and Drop your Folders of images to that one in Lightroom. YOur good to go!

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2008
    Ok now what about future imports?
    How do I get them to all go to my external as a default?
    Is there a setting or parameter in LR I can or need to change?

Example:

Right now my import default is C:\mypictures\subdirectory
    My future import default I want to be F:\mypictures\subdirectory

At this point I have copied my entire C:\mypictures and sub directories to F:\mypictures as you indicated.

Had I have known this before I installed LR that it was gonna hog my main drive I probably coulda done this at that time.
    Really hope I don't hafta re install LR to accomplish this.

Forgive my ignorance if I'm missing something here! headscratch.gif

• Options
    edited March 26, 2008
    How are you importing. By reference (you put them there yourself, then import) or by copy for the CF card? If the latter you just specify the location in the import dialog. It should be sticky. (I do the first way.)

Don
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2008
    LRmvcDonR wrote:
    How are you importing. By reference (you put them there yourself, then import) or by copy for the CF card? If the latter you just specify the location in the import dialog. It should be sticky. (I do the first way.)

Don

I 90% of the time import from CF card then LR must send the import to my main drive automatically.
    I only get a dialog to ask where to import from....never seen one on where to send it.

• Options
    edited March 26, 2008
    In the Import Dialog when you choose 'Copy photos to new location and imort' there is a line directly under that dropdown with a location and a <Choose...> button next to it. See attachment. An Explorer Window should come up and you can choose you location root Directory.

Don
  • Options
    dmmattixdmmattix Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2008
    Another approach
    Another approach is to copy the files to the external, rename the root folder of the C drive folder, and launch Lightroom. It should tell you that it cannot find the original C drive folder and allow you to browse to the External and then make the corrections to the catalog. Once it is complete and you are satisfied you can then delete the original renamed folder on the C drive. And for future imports just as Don says, you change the location on the first import and it remains because it is sticky.

At least it worked for me.

Mike Mattix
    Tulsa, OK

"There are always three sides to every story. Yours, mine, and the truth" - Unknown
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2008
    Thanx a HEAP Guys!
    I believe I have it now. clap.gif

Hours of importing but I know have 31GB free on the 80GB main drive and only had 963mb free before.
    Couldn't even defrag with that lil left.

Thanx again Guys your the best.
    Gotta love this place!! thumb.gif