Options

First good picture (IMO) from a beginner

JthmeffyJthmeffy Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
edited March 26, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
Hi. I just purchased my first: Camera, digital camera, dSLR.. I kinda didnt go the way a lot of people I know do (a film camera as a kid, then a point and shoot, then maybe a dSLR)...I'm 22 btw. I've had my 40D for just under a week, and I've cranked out about 1200 photos (playing with the camera, learning what different settings do what, etc). This morning, after seeing some snow get dumped on us, I decided to shoot my dog (Saint Bernard)..

Anyway, I know it isnt much, but I think its not terrible considering I dont know diddly, and I've never had more than a disposable (a couple times and that's it) camera in my hands.

reworkedandcroppedcopykg4.png

I also took a couple pics of my bike..

img1010reworkedcp0.png

img1017reworkedle1.png

I spent a little time reworking them in photoshop CS3..
Any suggestions? Be aware I know next to nothing and a lot of the manual was lost on me (I understood it, but have no examples to apply the concepts to - mostly, I figure, because the manual was written for someone that has a clue at what they are doing).

I have the Canon EF28 - 135 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM lense.

:):)

Mods, if this needs to be moved, go ahead.. sorry :dunno
Current Equipment: Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon EF 28 - 135 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM / Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM / Canon EF 50mm f1.4 USM
Coming Soon: Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM / Canon Speedlite 430EX II / Good Tripod (Hopefully a Manfrotto with a ballhead)

Comments

• Options
    edited March 23, 2008
    74 views and not one that looks like shit comment? I dont know if I should take that as a compliment or not.. lol
    Current Equipment: Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon EF 28 - 135 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM / Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM / Canon EF 50mm f1.4 USM
    Coming Soon: Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM / Canon Speedlite 430EX II / Good Tripod (Hopefully a Manfrotto with a ballhead)
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2008
    Also, my wife likes to crochet... :)

img0873reworkedcz9.png
  • Options
    Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2008
    They are so crap most of us wouldnt want to touch them with a stick! rolleyes1.gif

Just Kiddin'
    beer.gif

They are nice shots! i especially like the last one of the first post. thumb.gif
    There are a lot of 'lurkers' on this forum so don't be sad when noone has posted yet after 70+ views.

On the photos, i think the snow adds to the photo, makes the bike and dog contrast and gives it atmosphere. on the other hand they (first two) are a bit centered and alone IMO. Composition and angles (photographic intent in general) are something you might want to look into when you have the basics of your camera (exposure etc) under control. thumb.gif

good luck and keep posting!

you'll love it when you look back at older posts :D
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2008
    Jthmeffy wrote:
    Hi. I just purchased my first: Camera, digital camera, dSLR.. I kinda didn't go the way a lot of people I know do (a film camera as a kid, then a point and shoot, then maybe a dSLR)...I'm 22 btw. I've had my 40D for just under a week, and I've cranked out about 1200 photos (playing with the camera, learning what different settings do what, etc). This morning, after seeing some snow get dumped on us, I decided to shoot my dog (Saint Bernard)..

Anyway, I know it isn't much, but I think its not terrible considering I don't know diddly, and I've never had more than a disposable (a couple times and that's it) camera in my hands.
    I also took a couple pics of my bike..

I spent a little time reworking them in photoshop CS3..
    Any suggestions? Be aware I know next to nothing and a lot of the manual was lost on me (I understood it, but have no examples to apply the concepts to - mostly, I figure, because the manual was written for someone that has a clue at what they are doing).

I have the Canon EF28 - 135 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM lens.

:):)

Mods, if this needs to be moved, go ahead.. sorry ne_nau.gif

Welcome to the forum, sorry it took me this long to reply.
    Work and Renovations keeping me busy at the moment.

1200 photos in one week ???? good heavens man you really are keen aren't you rolleyes1.gif that's more than I've taken in like 6 months :oogle

Bet your dog is just loving the snow.

Your bike looks real nice in the snow..... just a tip here, don't forget when your shooting in the snow you have to over expose by about 2 stops.

The snow tricks the camera you see, and your natural reaction is to attempt to tone it down.... give it a try I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the results.

Those are nice colours your wife is crocheting with,
    what is she making?

I like the first shot of your bike in the snow, hope you enjoy the forum,
    lots of hits on your images is a good thing, shows you that people are looking at them thumb.gif

Enjoy the Forum Jthmeffy, keep posting thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    saltydogsaltydog Registered Users Posts: 243 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2008
    I think for a beginner you did quite well here.

I like how you actually captured the falling snow with a fast exposure. And snow really is tricky, because the light meter in your camera sees so much brightness that it automatically stops down/underexposes and thus the snow usually comes out grey, a typical beginner's mistake you managed to avoid.

That said, there are a few exposure/contrast problems here. Details in the highlights and shadows are lost, meaning the snow is almost too bright and the shadows too dark. For instance in your dog's face or the motorcycle tires and center in the third shot (the detail is actually there but I have to view it from an angle to see it and I have a fairly bright monitor). But those things can be fixed and if you continue to crank out 1200 photos a week you'll learn fast :D.

I really do like the one of your wife's crocheting, nice colors, exposure and depth of field!

Keep on shooting!
    Jana
    all that we see or seem
    is but a dream within a dream
    - Edgar Allan Poe

http://www.saltydogphotography.com
    http://saltydogphotography.blogspot.com
  • Options
    i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2008
    I think you did a dang good job. I went out to shoot snow and it was kickin' my butt trying to get a good 'falling' picture.

There could be some nitpicky things such as composition (maybe wiki rule of thirds for help) or exposure (everyone and their brother screws up snow the first 5-7 outings), but you're doing great. Keep shooting and posting and you'll get better by default.

Keep up the great work, and remember... overexpose that snow!
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=85560&highlight=roxanne
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2008
    Thank you very much for the kind replies. I will make sure I work on everything that you said.. :)

When I took the snow pictures, they looked grey as all can be. I had to PS them a bunch.. I agree that I may have went a little overboard with the contrast and darkness.. but it kinda adds an effect too when losing a bit of the detail.. lol, not that it is a good thing tho.

Trust me, the Saint LOVES the snow.

My wife is crocheting a baby blanket for a couple (close friends of ours) that just had their first baby.

I'm still trying to learn how to set my apeture and shutter speeds consciously.. I really dont understand what they do much (the manual sux), or how I to do different things - like take a landscape pic where everything is focused (for the most part), or a portrait where everything but the subject is out of focus, etc... I plan on buying a book on the 40D that amazon has when I get my next check.. any good online guides anyone here knows of for complete beginners?

Thanks again, and I'll keep shooting!
  • Options
    oldhippiechickoldhippiechick Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited March 23, 2008
    I think you did a great job -- especially for just starting out. I don't even show my dog my first photos. I won't make any technical comments because they've been covered by better experts than myself but I will say that shooting white fur on a dog and especially in the snow is very difficult and the fact that the fur and the snow didn't merge is a great start. Great looking dog BTW.

Also, I love, love, love the crochet photos. The colors are awesome. Keep it up. When I started I was all gung ho and then I let life get in my way and I feel like I am constantly having to learn all over again. I've started doing the Photo A Day project -- you might want to check that out. I also started a photography group in my home -- you might want to consider trying to find one or start your own through Meetup.com. Just keep taking photos everyday, of everything. Don't worry if they're good or not -- even the very best photographers will tell you that out of 100 photos they take they may get one "good" one. Take your camera with you EVERYWHERE. Someone once told me that the difference between a good photographer and a bad photographer was ... having his camera with him.!!!:ivar

Keep up the good work you will fall in love with the process.
    ... the love you take is equal to the love you make -- P. McCartney
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2008
    Just took a shot of one of my mother-in-law's recent pups (she's a Saint Bernard breeder - she just got this pup back because the family decided they couldnt cope with a new dog at the moment)

img1592reworkedsmall2vl0.jpg
  • Options
    theinlawjosietheinlawjosie Registered Users Posts: 162 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2008
    I really like your pics! I'm in a smiliar situation as you, I have had my 40D for about two weeks now and I am pretty much learning on the fly. I did have a film SLR and most recently a Sony H5, but the DSLR is like a whole new monster. eek7.gif

I don't know what book you are ordering from Amazon, but if I might suggest Canon EOS 40D Guite To Digital SLR Photography by David Busch. It has helped me a lot, it's like a manual only he breaks down what each setting does and what different situations call for, although I'm sure you aren't having trouble figuring it out if you have taken that many shots!!!! I think I am only at 900 or so. :D

Thanks for sharing! clap.gif
    Shane

"Set the Gear Shift for the High Gear of Your Soul"
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2008
    Actually, I am planning on ordering that exact book! Good to know its a good buy! I'm up to 1600+ pics.

thanks for the compliments :)
  • Options
    theinlawjosietheinlawjosie Registered Users Posts: 162 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2008
    Jthmeffy wrote:
    Actually, I am planning on ordering that exact book! Good to know its a good buy! I'm up to 1600+ pics.

thanks for the compliments :)

I figured there was a good chance that was the book you were ordering, but wanted to mention it just in case. It is a great buy, I read a lot of good reviews before I bought it. I really do like the pics....about the contrast, like I said....I am fairly new at all this as well but I always seem to like real high contrast images. I don't know why, but I do. Keep on posting!! clap.gif
    Shane

"Set the Gear Shift for the High Gear of Your Soul"
  • Options
    ccpickreccpickre Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2008
    The first photo may be a little high on the contrast, because the snow looked over exposed, but the darks looked underexposed, which seems odd to me.

Other than that they're good photos for your first outting.
    Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
  • Options
    SaltForkSaltFork Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited March 26, 2008
    Nice photos for your first week!

If you want to get better, you'll do very well reading everything you can get your hands on.

And if I may be so bold.....

I started a blog a few months ago in which I share photo tips in the form of basic lessons for the DSLR beginner. The feedback I've gotten has been pretty good so far. But more importantly.... it's free!

Check it out at the link below. BTW I also shoot a 40D! Love it!
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2008
    SaltFork wrote:
    Nice photos for your first week!

If you want to get better, you'll do very well reading everything you can get your hands on.

And if I may be so bold.....

I started a blog a few months ago in which I share photo tips in the form of basic lessons for the DSLR beginner. The feedback I've gotten has been pretty good so far. But more importantly.... it's free!

Check it out at the link below. BTW I also shoot a 40D! Love it!

thanks, I'll check it out!