Options

Snookered

pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
edited March 27, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
Here's a few shots from the billiards club I play at. The original idea came from an assignment of Nikolai's, "One."

And us sunday players hit a lot of ones too.

270552086_NgXAx-L-2.jpg

270553461_asKre-L.jpg

If you're wondering what all the bouncing is about, it was caused by a 'kick'. It's a bad contact between the balls. Kicks are bad mmkay.

Shooting a break:
270554287_eJJX5-L.jpg

270553274_SJWFT-L.jpg

Thanks to Panu for shooting a good bunch of reds for this set.

Comments and critiques most welcome! :thumb
Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/

Comments

• Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2008
    Boy, this brings back memories. I helped put myself through college and graduate school by shooting snooker for a " friendly " wager or two. I particularly like the third shot for it's perspective.
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2008
    That first shot is a real win. Done on a burst?
    Gotta love it clap.gif!

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2008
    Boy, this brings back memories. I helped put myself through college and graduate school by shooting snooker for a " friendly " wager or two. I particularly like the third shot for it's perspective.

Thanks! I was only a few inches above the cushion there.
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    edited March 26, 2008
    LRmvcDonR wrote:
    That first shot is a real win. Done on a burst?
    Gotta love it clap.gif!

Don

Nope, just 30-40 attempts at it rolleyes1.gif
    I was using studio strobes that don't allow continous drive.

Thanks!
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    BPerronBPerron Registered Users Posts: 464 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2008
    I like the 1st one alot...

I like to play pool, but I am confused on the wierd color balls with no stripes and no numbers and that pool table in the last photo seems huge...what am I missing?ne_nau.gif
    Brandon Perron Photography
    www.brandonperron.com
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2008
    BPerron wrote:
    I like the 1st one alot...

I like to play pool, but I am confused on the wierd color balls with no stripes and no numbers and that pool table in the last photo seems huge...what am I missing?ne_nau.gif

Snooker is a different kind of pool game. The table itself is larger than a standard pool table. And, as you have seen, the balls are different as well....though the colored balls ( but not the red ones ) do have numbers. The pockets are much smaller than regulation pool. It takes a lot of skill to play snooker well. There is not much room for " slop " shots in this game.
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    BPerronBPerron Registered Users Posts: 464 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2008
    Snooker is a different kind of pool game. The table itself is larger than a standard pool table. And, as you have seen, the balls are different as well....though the colored balls do have numbers. The pockets are much smaller than regulation pool. It takes a lot of skill to play snooker well. There is not much room for " slop " shots in this game.

Cool...thanks for the info...I have never heard of it before...the title to the post makes way more sense now too Laughing.gif, wings.gif
    Brandon Perron Photography
    www.brandonperron.com
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2008
    BPerron wrote:
    Snooker rocks. I need to get out my McDermott.... I also love straight pool. Been way too long since I've played.

As per the shots, I think the lighting needs to be evened out more. Or do something in post to get more constrast and pop.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2008
    Snooker is a different kind of pool game. The table itself is larger than a standard pool table. And, as you have seen, the balls are different as well....though the colored balls ( but not the red ones ) do have numbers. The pockets are much smaller than regulation pool. It takes a lot of skill to play snooker well. There is not much room for " slop " shots in this game.

Actually, there are no numbers on any of the balls. The colours are worth different amounts of points, but they're not marked beyond the color itself.

Snooker has several differences to pool, all of which make it more challenging. The table is bigger (12x6 feet, pool tables are 9x4.5 or smaller), the balls are smaller, the pockets are smaller and cut round which makes them eject the ball very easily.

So, basically, you have hit a ball which carries no markings to aim with, a long way away, dead on into a small pocket which is bent on ejecting your shot.

Challenging.

And world record fastest maximum break (made up of 15 reds, 15 blacks and then the six colours in order, 36 balls total, 147 points) stands at 5 minutes 20 seconds. I've taken that long to make 25 points...rolleyes1.gif
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2008
    these are great, though i want to duck or jump in front of the lens to save it from pending harm:D
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2008
    It was 40 years ago when I was a avid snooker player. I seem to remember that the colored balls had small numbers but I certainly could be wrong. I believe the black was 7, the pink 6, the blue 5 and so forth. I walked away from the game in 1966 after getting out of graduate school and have not been in a pool hall since.
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2008
    these are great, though i want to duck or jump in front of the lens to save it from pending harm

Thanks! This camera and lens have been through a lot with me, I wouldn't think of ruining it quite that easily! :D
    It was 40 years ago when I was a avid snooker player. I seem to remember that the colored balls had small numbers but I certainly could be wrong. I believe the black was 7, the pink 6, the blue 5 and so forth. I walked away from the game in 1966 after getting out of graduate school and have not been in a pool hall since.

Things may have changed in 40 years! :D

You're still right on the colours though, yellow's 2, green's 3, brown 4, blue 5...
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    IPClarkIPClark Registered Users Posts: 2,355 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2008
    Really nice shots.. Love the perspective of Shot 3.

With regards to Snooker. I see from the replies here that it's most definitely played very much less over in the US? ;)

Not to go off topic.

The most basic rules of snooker:

Break.
    Pot a red, Pot a colour, Pot a red, pot a colour and so on. The colours (not reds) are put back onto their respective spots until all of the reds have been potted.
    From then on, you put the remaining colours in the following order:
    Yellow, Green, Brown, Blue, Pink and then Black.

Most snooker players will attempt to pot a red, then the black, then a red, then the black and so on as the black is worth the most points in the game.

So, aside from that, I'm very much encouraged to take my camera down to my local pool hall (where we play on American size tables) and get some similar shots.

Thank you for posting those :)
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2008
    Pyry.....

This thing with the colored balls having numbers or not ( at the time I played ) bugged me so bad I called an old friend that I played a lot with back then. He said that the only numbers that were on those balls were ones I had in my head. CRAP. I've been depressed ever since that call....just something else I can't remember. My wife tried to make me feel better by saying that, at least, I remembered the colors and their values. Didn't make me feel a whole lot better.
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2008
    IPClark wrote:
    Really nice shots.. Love the perspective of Shot 3.

With regards to Snooker. I see from the replies here that it's most definitely played very much less over in the US? ;)
    Very much less I believe, it's still a mostly British thing. And the Chinese have picked it up in a big way. This season two of the ranking tournaments are the Shanghai Open and the China Open.
    IPClark wrote:
    So, aside from that, I'm very much encouraged to take my camera down to my local pool hall (where we play on American size tables) and get some similar shots.

Thank you for posting those :)
    Thank you and go for it! I'd love to see your take.
    just something else I can't remember.
    Come on, it's a detail from 40 years ago. You can't expect to remember everything anyway, that's what the rulebook is for. thumb.gif
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2008
    pyry wrote:
    Here's a few shots from the billiards club I play at. The original idea came from an assignment of Nikolai's, "One."

And us sunday players hit a lot of ones too.

If you're wondering what all the bouncing is about, it was caused by a 'kick'. It's a bad contact between the balls. Kicks are bad mmkay.

Shooting a break:

Thanks to Panu for shooting a good bunch of reds for this set.

Comments and critiques most welcome! thumb.gif

Hi there Pyry, I love the sound of the break, my uncle was an awesome player here in Australia, played at the BlackTown Workers Club in NSW.
    ..... he has long since retired.

I like to have a go, even though I suck at it :D
    Thanks for sharing thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2008
    Skippy wrote:
    Hi there Pyry, I love the sound of the break, my uncle was an awesome player here in Australia, played at the BlackTown Workers Club in NSW.
    ..... he has long since retired.

I like to have a go, even though I suck at it :D
    Thanks for sharing thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    These piccies seem to get a lot of old memories going, I like that. :D

And about sucking at the game - lots of one point breaks then - like me rolleyes1.gif
    Creativity's hard.