Options

Golden Gate Selective Color

firedancing4lifefiredancing4life Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
edited May 2, 2008 in Landscapes
OK...I know a lot of you think this is played out.

But I'm planning on printing this on my wall behind my sofa....3 panels....30x20 stretched canvas.

My question for everyone is.....do you think that I should double up the edge areas from panel to panel...or should I have the edge portion on one panel lines up with the folded back section on the next panel.

Get what I am saying?

2344165957_de1758061f_b.jpg

271040521_VXV6Q-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2008
    OK...I know a lot of you think this is played out.

But I'm planning on printing this on my wall behind my sofa....3 panels....30x20 stretched canvas.

My question for everyone is.....do you think that I should double up the edge areas from panel to panel...or should I have the edge portion on one panel lines up with the folded back section on the next panel.

Get what I am saying?
    Sorry, but I don't get what your saying, but I can't get past the size of your TV!!!! Is it big enough???? How big is it?

For this appliction, I think the selective color works and for the most part, I don't like selective color. Wonderful idea!clap.gif And this is a perfect photo a three panel wall hanging. It's going to look amazing! And you post the another photo once it's all done and hanging? I would love to see it!
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 27, 2008
    I think it's gonna get lost on that bright red wall... I'd maybe make my blacks a bit blacker, give it a really dramatic curve. Just me though.

As for your folding question, are you doing the canvas stretching yourself? and who's doing the printing? I ask because I did a canvas from Smug, and they have extra space built-in for the folds. So once you work through those technical details, I vote hands down for having the image complete if all panes were pushed together. So from my take, that would be your first option.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2008
    Not to take away from SmugMug for printing, but I work for a museum and we have large prints done all the time. A comercial printing concern can do a wide inkjet print to many different materials that could have this all in one piece and mounted on farious substrates like Sintra (a PVC, vinyl) sheet.

Otherwise, yes printing with each part wider than your division point so they overlap to make the folds match is the way to go. thumb.gif

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    zweiblumenzweiblumen Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2008
    I have to say, given your decor in there, I think a Fotoflöt would work REALLY well for you. A horizontal joby kind of like what Llywellyn did here.

Just my 2 cents.

EDIT: I should also mention, that like April, I'm not a fan of selective color, but I think it really works here. Nice Shot! It'll look great over your couch.
    Travis
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2008
    aktse wrote:
    Sorry, but I don't get what your saying, but I can't get past the size of your TV!!!! Is it big enough???? How big is it?

For this appliction, I think the selective color works and for the most part, I don't like selective color. Wonderful idea!clap.gif And this is a perfect photo a three panel wall hanging. It's going to look amazing! And you post the another photo once it's all done and hanging? I would love to see it!

52" :ivar
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2008
    LRmvcDonR wrote:
    Otherwise, yes printing with each part wider than your division point so they overlap to make the folds match is the way to go. thumb.gif

That is what I am thinking.... actual face of the canvas matches...the part folded over can be the same on adjacent panels....

I'd use smugmug stretched canvas...and...I think the aspect ratio is more to my liking...as fotoflot was a bit narrow if I remember correctly. I have high ceilings...so I want to take advantage.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

-Kevin
  • Options
    zweiblumenzweiblumen Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2008
    That is what I am thinking.... actual face of the canvas matches...the part folded over can be the same on adjacent panels....

I'd use smugmug stretched canvas...and...I think the aspect ratio is more to my liking...as fotoflot was a bit narrow if I remember correctly. I have high ceilings...so I want to take advantage.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

-Kevin

Kevin, In the "for what it's worth" category, You could do 3 30x20's on the fotoflöt if you wanted. I'm just partial to how clean the look is and I think it would go well in a room like that. (No, I don't work for them, and I'm really not a salesman. Just really happy with their work.)
    Travis
  • Options
    dadwtwinsdadwtwins Registered Users Posts: 804 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2008
    zweiblumen wrote:
    Kevin, In the "for what it's worth" category, You could do 3 30x20's on the fotoflöt if you wanted. I'm just partial to how clean the look is and I think it would go well in a room like that. (No, I don't work for them, and I'm really not a salesman. Just really happy with their work.)
    I think the fotoflöt idea would really work with the room setup and that way too small of a TVeek7.gif.

Awesome decor by the way. I like the colors and your pic for the photo that should be displayedthumb.gif
    My Homepage :thumb-->http://dthorp.smugmug.com
    My Photo Blog -->http://dthorpphoto.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2008
    OK...so I blocked out the area that would be the "wrap around" area on a canvas. The adjacent panels would have commom wrap areas. If the canvas were spaced and inch apart on my walls...it would be as if the wrapped areas were "missing". Do you think this would be good? Or should I make it so that the edge of the canvas lines up and the panels were butted up against each other and the wrapped edges were barely seen?ne_nau.gif

I'm 2 seconds from placing my order...but I'm wondering what you all think.

Thanks!

273285794_ND4Nd-X2.jpg
  • Options
    dadwtwinsdadwtwins Registered Users Posts: 804 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    OK...so I blocked out the area that would be the "wrap around" area on a canvas. The adjacent panels would have commom wrap areas. If the canvas were spaced and inch apart on my walls...it would be as if the wrapped areas were "missing". Do you think this would be good? Or should I make it so that the edge of the canvas lines up and the panels were butted up against each other and the wrapped edges were barely seen?ne_nau.gif

I'm 2 seconds from placing my order...but I'm wondering what you all think.

Thanks!

273285794_ND4Nd-X2.jpg

Can you lower the whole photo down a bit to capture more of the first pier?? I do like the idea of having the missing parts rather than the precise cut edges. I think it alows our minds to fill the gaps and will make the viewer stare at your work a iittle more.thumb.gif

This will be grand photo on your wall, congrats
    My Homepage :thumb-->http://dthorp.smugmug.com
    My Photo Blog -->http://dthorpphoto.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2008
    Here is the finished product.

The smugmug lab, took into account what I tried to counter(if that makes sense). They made the prints line up exactly...which looks awesome. I talked to Steve at smugmug and he was extremely helpful. After the mother's day print rush, he said he would work with me to see if they can get the canvas spaced out an inch apart. Since this is such a unique...set up. Not so sure I want to do that now. All the panels together has grown on me. What do you think? Props to smugmug.

282326409_wSauB-XL.jpg

282327809_Y7cu5-XL.jpg

-Kevin
  • Options
    VycorVycor Registered Users Posts: 386 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2008
    That is gonna look AWESOME on that wall. The color of the bridge goes with your wall.

A simple photo, yet very elegant that will look great. I like that a lot

Btw, i see you did some mockups... i like the wide version of it. So it kinda is longer like the sofa
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2008
    Vycor wrote:
    That is gonna look AWESOME on that wall. The color of the bridge goes with your wall.

A simple photo, yet very elegant that will look great. I like that a lot

Btw, i see you did some mockups... i like the wide version of it. So it kinda is longer like the sofa

the pictures above are the final product! rolleyes1.gif i hope they don't look like mock ups...lol maybe i'm interpreting you wrong.
  • Options
    hejjafishhejjafish Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    It looks great.thumb.gif It's a perfect match for that wall.
  • Options
    Grumpy_oneGrumpy_one Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2008
    I want one!!!! How much and when can you deliver?
    Looks great. But really, I want one.
    5D3, 7D, 50 1.4, 580EX, EFS 70-200L 2.8 IS MkI, 1.4x TC, 24-70 MKII, 85 1.8,(that's it ...for now)
    http://www.happyvalleyphotography.com
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2008
    Did you use the 40D or XT to take those? I do wonder how it would look on a fotoflöt as the original pano but I think it looks great as is and I don't think that I would change it from the 3 panels together.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2008
    Very nice! Thanks for sharing.

Sam
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2008
    evoryware wrote:
    Did you use the 40D or XT to take those? I do wonder how it would look on a fotoflöt as the original pano but I think it looks great as is and I don't think that I would change it from the 3 panels together.

Thanks.

I took it using my XT....3 pictures stitched in a trial version of CS. I'm stretching the limit of that little guy. haha. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2008
    Awesome! Enjoy!
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    kworkkwork Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited April 29, 2008
    Looks awesome as-is, but I think I would like it even better with the gaps like you showed in you original mock-up
    Great idea. clap.gif
    My living room is the same cranberry/cream color scheme.
    Kevin

D50 ■ 17-55 f/2.8 ■ 50 f/1.8 ■ 80-200 f/2.8 AF-S ■ SB-800 ■ SB-600 ■ Hoya Filters ■ Manfrotto legs and head ■ Kata R-103 Rucksack

My SmugMug
    My Project 366 :ivar
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2008
    Wow! That is an amazing looking shot! Like you said, some may feel that shot is overused, but when you capture something that spectacular you just have to show it off!

Knowing you shot it with you XT gives me hope for things that I may be able to produce with my XTi as I get better! Nice job! clap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2008
    Solid shot and a great location on your wall thumb.gif
    Professional Ancient Smugmug Shutter Geek
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited May 1, 2008
    I like how the color of the wall plays off the print.

Ya done good!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2008
    very nice, very cool...

what bridge is that?:D :hide
    Aaron Nelson