Options

"The Note"

elfving73elfving73 Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
edited March 19, 2005 in Holy Macro
Lately I felt like tryin' something new, try another "photograpic alignment". I had this idea about composing pictures that at a first glance doesn't say much, but when lookin' a bit closer, for an intentive eye, it has a whole story to tell.
This was my first, flimsy try out. I want the viewer to look at the picture and do their own interpretation of it - what does it say to you? What is going on?
Feel free to do your own "investigation", and please, if you got the time, share it with me/us.

Matty

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2005
    elfving73 wrote:
    Lately I felt like tryin' something new, try another "photograpic alignment". I had this idea about composing pictures that at a first glance doesn't say much, but when lookin' a bit closer, for an intentive eye, it has a whole story to tell.
    This was my first, flimsy try out. I want the viewer to look at the picture and do their own interpretation of it - what does it say to you? What is going on?
    Feel free to do your own "investigation", and please, if you got the time, share it with me/us.

Matty

wave.gif welcome to dgrin, matty! i'm so glad you took my bait lol3.gif

seriously, we're all looking forward to your contribution here. i really dig how you are totally unafraid to try out new things.

guys, you must check out matty's gallery -- great stuff!
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2005
    Thank you, thank you, thaaank you! thumb.gif I feel honoured! I'll do my best to be a worthy and creative member of this new forum. :D

andy wrote:
    wave.gif welcome to dgrin, matty! i'm so glad you took my bait lol3.gif

seriously, we're all looking forward to your contribution here. i really dig how you are totally unafraid to try out new things.

guys, you must check out matty's gallery -- great stuff!
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2005
    elfving73 wrote:

Matty
    Hey Matty wave.gif

Great seeing you over here. It seems like most of the folks that I enjoyed over on STF are migrating over here. Excellent pic and I'm looking forward to seeing more of your pics. thumb.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2005
    Well, hey there Harry! clap.gif Thank you! How great, I've just "moved in" and I already feel "at home", among friends! mwink.gif

Harryb wrote:
    Hey Matty wave.gif

Great seeing you over here. It seems like most of the folks that I enjoyed over on STF are migrating over here. Excellent pic and I'm looking forward to seeing more of your pics. thumb.gif
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2005
    Hey Matty
    Welcome glad to see you here
    Good shot

Fred
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,203 moderator
    edited March 18, 2005
    Welcome to the other side
    Welcome to DGrin, Mattias! wave.gif

Nice composition there above. I have no idea what the note says, as the size of it makes the words too small. Could you translate it for us?

I notice there's a wedding ring, keys, a wristwatch, a cellphone, and a Star Trek communicator in the pic, so can I assume its a last note to a lover, or a resignation letter to Starfleet?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited March 18, 2005
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2005
    elfving73 wrote:

Matty
    I was able to enhance the photo and read some of the letter. At first I wasn't going to share the story, but then I thought maybe there is a lesson here for us.

This is a farewell letter, quite sad really. Apparenty the author was desponent after discovering he had purchased and sold every piece of Cannon gear currently avilable, and felt there was nothing left.

I couldn't make out the signature, but I know I speak for all of us when I say we wish him well.

Sam
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2005
    Sam wrote:
    I was able to enhance the photo and read some of the letter. At first I wasn't going to share the story, but then I thought maybe there is a lesson here for us.

This is a farewell letter, quite sad really. Apparenty the author was desponent after discovering he had purchased and sold every piece of Cannon gear currently avilable, and felt there was nothing left.

I couldn't make out the signature, but I know I speak for all of us when I say we wish him well.

Sam
    rolleyes1.gifrofl

Welcome aboard,nice to see you here.
    Keep on sharing.
  • Options
    MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2005
    Hey Matt!
    Always enjoy your work, especially your ambient light stuff. Another great shot, captures the *mood* very well.

Not sure of *the* story, but I can come up with at least one or two ideas of what's going on...

Sam-you crack me up! Despondent Canon ower! I can relate, I really can.
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2005
    Thank you, Fred! rolleyes1.gif

USAIR wrote:
    Welcome glad to see you here
    Good shot

Fred
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2005
    Hehe! That's the POINT, man! Not bein' able to read the letter. You're supposed to "read it" by "reading" the picture, if you catch my drift? ;o)

I don't wanna disappoint ya, but the "Star Trek Communicator" actually is nothing but my "wallet". But I give you FULL CREDITS (Three Thumbs) for your vivid imagination!!! thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif

Matty
    David_S85 wrote:
    Welcome to DGrin, Mattias! wave.gif

Nice composition there above. I have no idea what the note says, as the size of it makes the words too small. Could you translate it for us?

I notice there's a wedding ring, keys, a wristwatch, a cellphone, and a Star Trek communicator in the pic, so can I assume its a last note to a lover, or a resignation letter to Starfleet?
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2005
    Thank you very much, Mongrel! I'm movin' towards a "ambient light period" - I just recieved my new lens, a Canon EF 50 mm f1.8 II, perfect for this kind of shots.

The story IS how you interpret the picture. headscratch.gif

Matty

Mongrel wrote:
    Always enjoy your work, especially your ambient light stuff. Another great shot, captures the *mood* very well.

Not sure of *the* story, but I can come up with at least one or two ideas of what's going on...

Sam-you crack me up! Despondent Canon ower! I can relate, I really can.
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2005
    Thank you, Angelo! 1drink.gif
    Angelo wrote:
    Welcome Matty biggrinbounce2.gif

Beautiful galleries.
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2005
    Hahaha! Man, I'm really impressed you managed to actually READ the text, I really thought I did it enough out of focus. But I'm perhaps even more impressed, since the letter is written in Swedish! clap.gif

Matty

Sam wrote:

Sam
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2005
    Thank you very much, MHJS! rolleyes1.gif

MHJS wrote:
    rolleyes1.gifrofl

Welcome aboard,nice to see you here.
    Keep on sharing.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2005
    Welcome aboard...nice, dark shot.

One of my deepest regrets in my life is that my hand writting looks like a chicken has dropped some acid & then walked across an ink pad.
  • Options
    digital faeriedigital faerie Registered Users Posts: 667 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    One of my deepest regrets in my life is that my hand writting looks like a chicken has dropped some acid & then walked across an ink pad.
    :lol4 :lol :haha

*deep breaths deep breaths* oh god, that's funny as all hell.
  • Options
    nzmacronzmacro Registered Users Posts: 200 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2005
    This is clever. Its something I would love to try but don't really have the feel for it. Love the look of it and great work IMHO. I'm jealous :): in a nice way of course.

All the best and very well done for my eyes and thoughts.

Danny.