Comments

• Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2008
    Posting a Pic on Dgrin

So we can see it!

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    RWilliamsonRWilliamson Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited March 26, 2008
    tryin it again!!Laughing.gif
    I took this picture with our schools state championship ring. It will be used on the cover of our program this year. Everyone loved the idea of the flaming ball, so I tried it.269778826_MzRaE-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2008
    Baseball Program cover..need something?
    269778826_MzRaE-M.jpgBefore I send this in to the printers, is there anything else I could do to this picture?
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2008
    Not sure about the hand ib B&W, myself. If you stay with that it could use a bit more tonal range. Kinda blah..

Just one mans opinion.

Don
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2008
    I agree -I know you want to emphasize the ring, so maybe desaturate the hand a touch instead of making it b&w?

I'd also change the "2008" a touch. It seems like you intend for it to look like it's on the ball? If that's the case I would at least tilt it to the angle of the seams on the ball - if you want to get fancy use transform effects to make it look like it is on the ball surface. And if you REALLY are good, you could make it look like it was branded into the ball! Now that would be sweet -goes along with the "fire" theme too! :D

Having said all that, it's pretty darn good as is. thumb.gif
  • Options
    shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2008
    I like the concept. Everyone loves a baseball on fire. I would like to see the subject fill the space though. Make it an "in your face" kind of a photo.
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2008
    As to to 2008 on the ball. PSCS Warp is your friend. Make it wrap on the ball a bit. Ought to be a tute or to around if you need it.

Don
  • Options
    i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2008
    I do agree with previous posts for improvements, but it's looking dang good so far!thumb.gif
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2008
    I think I posted in the other thread... but you may want to consider angling and/or warping the '2008' to fit between the seems like it would if it was actually printed on the ball.

It's hard to tell on such a small proof, but heat creates distortion - it may add to the effect around where the flame meets ball.

Otherwise great work! :D
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2008
    way way cool....
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2008
    how about this instead?269581647_dR5pt-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2008
    would this be better to use?269581647_dR5pt-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2008
    imo. i do not like the ring layered into it....

just the ring on the hand spoke volumes....

i really like the new text placement
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2008
    also, like the new flame & the way the hand holds the BB....

if i were to do it i would make the grip on the BB as real as poss...
    inotherwords a splitfinger fastball :D
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2008
    Seems too busy, now, to me. I like the way the first was headed.

Did you try Warp on 2008? and since you had the hand isolated already doing a partial desat instead of B&W should have been easy. Give us a look.

Don
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2008
    OK, time to move this to Techniques or Finishing School.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    timk519timk519 Registered Users Posts: 831 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2008
    Icebear wrote:
    OK, time to move this to Techniques or Finishing School.
    +1
    • Save $5 off your first year's SmugMug image hosting with coupon code hccesQbqNBJbc
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2008
    I really don't like the big ring in #2 - WAY too cluttered (think if a high speed printer is a fraction of mm offset). I also am not fond of the hand in color, it now takes the focus instead of the ball (when I look at it anyway). I do like the 2nd edition flame better...

Here's my 2c on what you should go with (if you still have time)

take out the big rind in version2
    make hand & ball B&W (if the ball was brand new ultrawhite it would work)

I think it's continually getting better, but the color hand and the giant ring put it over the top for me.

Great work! I hope to get the chance to do something like this in the near future.:D

~Herbert Keppler
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2008
    agree. hand in b&w is far better
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2008
    I've merged your Whipping Post and FInishing School threads, since this isn't really Whipping Post material (the discussion, not the photograph).

Any questions, don't hesitate to ask! thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2008
    ok...I have tried to fix the 2008 on the ball and am having no luck. Here is the pic without the 2008 on it. Any takers on trying this out?271612812_rYh42-M.jpg