Shady Sanctuary

jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited April 15, 2008 in Landscapes

Comments

• Options
    dmmattixdmmattix Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2008
    Jeff,

Really nice. Where is that? I assume somewhere around Baton Rouge. Along the River Road maybe? I never got that far up River Road when we lived in Luling all those years.

Again nice job and neat remembrances.

Mike Mattix
    Tulsa, OK

"There are always three sides to every story. Yours, mine, and the truth" - Unknown
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2008
    dmmattix wrote:
    Jeff,

Really nice. Where is that? I assume somewhere around Baton Rouge. Along the River Road maybe? I never got that far up River Road when we lived in Luling all those years.

Again nice job and neat remembrances.

It is....Grace Episcaple Church in St. Francisville, LA. About 40 minutes north of Baton Rouge. Not far off HWY 61.
  • Options
    NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2008
    Nice image. You had a lot to work with there. Lots of different angles, colors, lighting, and SPANISH MOSS !. I'm envious. Still a black and white world up here.
    Dan

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
    I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...
  • Options
    dmmattixdmmattix Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2008
    Nice image. You had a lot to work with there. Lots of different angles, colors, lighting, and SPANISH MOSS !. I'm envious. Still a black and white world up here.

When I lived down there one of the guys at work had a saying. "We have two seasons, Summer and February". You began mowing your yard in early March and generally could quit around Thanksgiving...

Mike Mattix
    Tulsa, OK

"There are always three sides to every story. Yours, mine, and the truth" - Unknown
  • Options
    summerzsummerz Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2008
    Very pretty.thumb.gif I'm jealous, they have flowers and stuff and we still have................snow.mwink.gif
  • Options
    coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2008
    Wow, fantastic trees! The composition is very nice as well, lots of interesting elements (trees, building, flowering shrubs, gravestones, leaves, moss...).
  • Options
    eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2008
    This is an absolutely beautiful photo, Jeff! Beautiful! iloveyou.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2008
    Thanks for all of the comments. THe two seasons...summer and February is about right. WE typically have no Fall. Everything stays green until first freeze. Then of course everything turns ugly brown overnight. The big drawback right now is pollen everywhere. I have mowed at least 3 times since new years.

As for the photo...

I snapped this off while waiting for a portrait client to change clothes. It is a beautiful church and grounds. I took two frames, but liked this one with less foreground best. I am thinking of reworking it in the future and possibly using the RAW file to create my first HDR attempt.
  • Options
    gnoojgnooj Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited April 5, 2008
    Very nice. I recognized the church immediately when I opened this thread. We lived in Baton Rouge 15 years ago. St. Francisville was one of our get-away places. Used to get a muffaletto at Magnolia Cafe. Thanks for sharing. Lots of good memories, good friends, and good food down there.
  • Options
    CajunKimCajunKim Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited April 5, 2008
    This is a really beautiful photo. Hard to believe that I could get to this place in only about 2 and 1/2 hours. I just love places like these.

Kim
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2008
    Absolutely lovely. I think this scene captures everything I think of when I think deep south. The moss, the church, the ancient trees... Even though I hate humidity and heat this makes me want to visit and experience it myself. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2008
    GregM21 wrote:
    Very nice. I recognized the church immediately when I opened this thread. We lived in Baton Rouge 15 years ago. St. Francisville was one of our get-away places. Used to get a muffaletto at Magnolia Cafe. Thanks for sharing. Lots of good memories, good friends, and good food down there.

My wife and I used to go to St Francisville frequently to browse the shops and grab lunch. My sister in law lives just out of town near the Audobon House.

It wasn't until last year that I discovered this church. The azaleas along the street touch the live oak limbs, so the church itself is not visible from the street, and only appears after entering the walkthrough gate. It is a very very peaceful garden.
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2008
    CajunKim wrote:
    This is a really beautiful photo. Hard to believe that I could get to this place in only about 2 and 1/2 hours. I just love places like these.

Kim

If you are interested in going there I can promise you that this one photo is just a taste of what is nearby. You should overnight at one of the B&B's and make a weekend of it. There is an abundance of Plantation homes both privately and publicly owned, and all have beautiful gardens. Don't miss "The Myrtles", "Rosedown Plantation", and be sure to shop at "The Shanty", and " Grandmother's Buttons".

Where are you from?

72545143.IhXXe6k1.jpg
    72680160.5WRWiRdo.jpg
    72545166.WXqzmQjD.IMG_2147copy.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Absolutely lovely. I think this scene captures everything I think of when I think deep south. The moss, the church, the ancient trees... Even though I hate humidity and heat this makes me want to visit and experience it myself. thumb.gif

Thanks

FYI.....it isn't hot and humid all year. We have a window of super pleasant weather about this time each year. Just in time for all the spring bloomers, but before the dreaded sticky heat sets in. Come on down!!!:D
  • Options
    javierplumeyjavierplumey Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    Very nice! That's a perfect composition to balance out all of the colors, textures, and angles going on there.