Options

Need input

SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
edited March 20, 2005 in Holy Macro
I have been playing around this afternoon and worked on this concept. Please let me know if you think this concept has any future, or if I should just go down to the prints are us store and buy something. :D

Thanks,

Sam

Comments

• Options
    edited March 19, 2005
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2005
    Nup...sam it doesn't do it for me at all mate.
  • Options
    nzmacronzmacro Registered Users Posts: 200 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2005
    I like the flower shots but not the background Sam to be honest. A plain dark background would suit these better with the white edges showing up well. Nothing too distracting in the background though.

All the best Sam, try a plain dark background, real or software.

Danny.
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2005
    Thanks for the honest input. I'll shelf this concept. Nothing ventured nothing gained. :):

Sam
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,203 moderator
    edited March 19, 2005
    Sam wrote:
    Thanks for the honest input. I'll shelf this concept. Nothing ventured nothing gained. :):

Sam
    I'd suggest that there's lots gained, IMO. Focus and DOF on the flower itself are quite good. Yes, I'll agree with the others that the background, well, stinks. The placement of the flowers within the frames are very good. Start there, change the background to something that does not compete, and make sure it's blurred a lot more (with a longer lens and/or a wider aperture and more light, etc.) and preferably a darker background- to emphasize the lightness and delicacy of the flower.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2005
    Sam wrote:

Sam
    I certainly wouldn't shelf it Sam. Shots of this particular Lily always go down well and there are so many possibilities with them. They are hard to get the right angle on though, mainly due to the size and length of them. I love dark backgrounds while others don't, all just a matter of taste. Be stubborn mate and keep on trying IMHO. thumb.gif Post them up.

Danny.
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2005
    No way Sam, maybe file em and deal with them later. I posted here a while back, kinda same idea:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=6805

Now they didn't go over so big here, but I still like it ! headscratch.gifthumb.gif
    Rambling here, sorry. Point is these are nice, sharp well exposed.
    I say work withem thumb.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2005
    well, i applaud your initiative and creativity here. i think what's missing is a better matching of the flower to the background. to me, it's looking a bit "off", there are some ps tricks that i'm not good at, that design guys use all the time, that would help here.

nice going sam, keep trying.
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2005
    andy wrote:
    well, i applaud your initiative and creativity here. i think what's missing is a better matching of the flower to the background. to me, it's looking a bit "off", there are some ps tricks that i'm not good at, that design guys use all the time, that would help here.

nice going sam, keep trying.
    Oh don't worry, I'll keep trying. But I do need some honest input from time to time. After awhile you kinda go blind looking at your own stuff.
    Here is an original of the lilly.
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2005
    Here is another I played with today. This is a redo shot of a dandelion I did last week. This time I used a bigger lens so the crop is much less which will alow me to print it larger then the previous 5X7. A few people at work wanted a print. Also had a shot of the neighbor's cat, and just wanted to work with the cat on black.

This is just an exercise to learn a little.
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2005
    VERY, very nicely done Sam on both accounts. Impressive work IMO. thumb.gif

Danny.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2005
    Sam wrote:
    Oh don't worry, I'll keep trying. But I do need some honest input from time to time. After awhile you kinda go blind looking at your own stuff.
    Here is an original of the lilly.
    MAte i like the org with the black background....i dont like stuff being put into photos....but thats me.
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    MAte i like the org with the black background....i dont like stuff being put into photos....but thats me.
    Just keep telling it like you see it. I expect nothing less.

Thanks again,

Sam