Options

good BACKPACK for OUTDOOR SPORTS & WILDLIFE shooter

BLUEThunderBLUEThunder Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
edited June 2, 2008 in Accessories
Folks, I am looking for a GOOD backpack/camera bag that is suitable for outdoor sports (ie. rock climbing, bouldering, hare scrambles, hunting, wildlife photog, snowboarding, mountain biking, etc.).

I am very active in the woods and like to take pics while out there. I used to be into photography YEARS ago and at that time I kind of "made do" for a woods pack by padding an old day pack I had. I hung off of cliffs and all kinds of things with that pack.

Anyway, in todays world there appears to be all kinds of options out there. Mountainsmith, Lowepro, etc....

What do some of you all recommend? Something that will protect the camera and equipment and remain functional for years to come.

I have just gotten back into photography with a Rebel XTi and am expanding my collection again and looking for a good sturdy pack that can handle ME, my camera, and a little extra stuff....ie. water, snax, and the 14 outdoor essentials. :barb

Comments

• Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2008
    I use this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830997093

But it may not be all that great for real outdoor hiking. But I am going to use it for my hiking trip in the Yosemite in June.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    dmmattixdmmattix Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2008
    I have the Tamrac Adventure 6 and really like it but I may be getting the new Adventure 9 as it can haul more stuff (like my 60 year old body needs more stuff to carry). The Adventure 6 can hold one body with a lens attached (as long as it not a real long lense) and the pack can hold 2-3 other lens depending upon the size and what else you want to carry. It holds a 15 Laptop computer and has a small section for other stuff. It is pretty comfortable. I mean it is a backpack not an Internal Frame Pack.ne_nau.gif

Links to both on B&H are below.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/408546-REG/Tamrac_554603_5546_Adventure_6_Backpack.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/465652-REG/Tamrac_554981_5549_Adventure_9_Backpack.html

Mike Mattix
    Tulsa, OK

"There are always three sides to every story. Yours, mine, and the truth" - Unknown
  • Options
    OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2008
    Dirt, dust, wind and sand storms, sliding down rocks, getting wet, bouncing around in the jeep, more sliding down rocks...all just a regular day for me, I'm really tough on my gear. rolleyes1.gif

For serious outdoor activities I'm really partial to my Lowepro Trekker AWII series bag(s). Biggest reason is that it has a real fully adjustable backpack harness system abd contoured and padded straps that makes it incredibly comfortable even packed heavy with gear. Build quality is awesome and this bag can take a beating (like when I fall scrambling up some rocks rolleyes1.gif), the entire bag/zippers are water resistant and it also comes with an integrated weather cover. Separate daypack that attaches to the front with plenty of room for your 14 essentials and snacks (actually I see that Lowepro is now selling the daypack separately for $45! Crazy, they were included when I bought my bags not that long ago). The only bag I have that makes carrying a tripod comfortable. Sliplock system for add-on components. The only thing that would make this bag 100% perfect for me would be if they would add a way for me to use my hydration bladder with it because I spend a lot of time in the desert and I like the weight distribution of a bladder better than hauling several bottles of water. Actually now that I think about, I could use the daypack to hold my bladder...hmmm, gonna have to give that a try. But like I said, these bags really can take a beating and are by far the most comfortable backpacks I've had (even more so than my regular Kelty pack). They are incredibly pricey, but the build quality and comfort is worth it.

These bags come in several sizes, from the Mini Trekker (which I find is really just too small if you have a large telephoto lens and want to carry anything else) up to the Super Trekker. Really depends on how much gear you want to carry and what your body frame is like. When I"m shooting outdoors/nature I carry three lenses - a wide angle zoom, a telephoto zoom, and a macro lens, plus a portable hard drive, a 1.4 TC, filters, remote release, lens cleaning stuff, batteries, usually a flash...I'm at 16 lbs. (that L glass is heavy) plus another 6.5 lb pounds for my tripod (light legs, heavy head). I don't carry a laptop - I'm out there to get away from that.

Hope this isn't inappropriate, but depending on how large of a bag you're looking for - I have a Pro Trekker AWII that I've only used twice and realized it was just too big for me (I'm 5'5" with a small frame and the bag was just a little too long for me). I loved the bag so much that I bought it in one of the smaller sizes, the Nature Trekker AWII which doesn't hold nearly as much gear but is a better fit for my frame. The Pro Trekker is a serious bag that holds a lot of gear (although I have taken it as carry-on twice without a problem), so it's bigger than most people want. But if you're interested, it's in mint pristine condition, all the paperwork, all the attachments (including the daypack and quick-release Trekker tripod mount). If you're interested pm me and I'll make you an incredible, jawdropping deal. :D

My best recommendation is if you have a local shop that has a good selection of bags (almost impossible to find, especially of the better bags), take your gear and try bags on fully loaded to see how comfortable they are, just like getting fitted for a regular backpack. When you're spending all day hiking/climbing/scrambling with that much weight on your back, comfort is priority #1.
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2008
    Well I have a Lowepro Computrekker, and while a good bag, its a crappy hiker. For one thing, it is too short, and I am 5' 6". Get a longer pack so it fits like a 'real pack". The one mentioned above will do, but there are others: Orion AW is a nice pack/camera bag, Rover AW is bigger, and the new Flipside 300 is really cool, but I have never tried it.

To be honest, when I am doing hiking, with some photography, vs photography with a bit of hiking, I grab an Osprey 24, as it is a hell of a lot more comfortable as a pack, and I can wear it all day. I simply put my camera in, often rapped in a shirt, and my lenses in their lens cases. Not a secure for the camera gear, but much better on my back. I often find I have the camera around my neck anyway.

Btw, I have found that the Op/Tech Reporter stap is good for hiking, but I use it differntly than designed. Rather than attaching another camera to the upper D rings, I use these D rings to attach the camera to similar D rings on my pack shoulder straps, that way the camera is ready to bring up for a shot, and it isnt hanging off my neck, which gets tiring.
  • Options
    LifeandLensLifeandLens Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited March 31, 2008
    Crumpler and Lowepro
    I recently saw a Crumpler Whickey and Cox camera bag and fell in love with it until I saw the price tag ($220). Crazy! I do not generally like the quality of the Tamron bags as I find their padding to be thin and materials feel cheaper. Lowepro makes good stuff but most screams "camera in here, steal me!" And most Lowepro bags have permanently attached hip belts that don't fit me well as there is not enough length between the hip belt and the shoulder pads (the hip belt falls at my stomach, not hips). I recently saw the Lowepro Flipside 300 and was very impressed. Mine is on order. Check it out.
    Tom Schauer
    Life and Lens Photography
    www.lifeandlens.com
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2008
    i have my gear into 2 types of Lowe pro bags...I won 2 LowePro 75AW that I use for most of non internationa l travels ( car and Motorcycle) and a Pro Trekker AW......the pro trekker was the largest carry on bag of any of the mfg'ers.....it carried a ton of equipment to Czech Republic and around hiking the country....with 2 camera kits...1 -35mm and 1 2 1/4 and 4 lenses plus flash (sunpak 622 + 2 quantum batteries) I still had room for a couple of pair of socks and changes of shorts and t-shirts......food was mostly scavenge or forage daily routine except for light weight snaks...also attached was my Bogen tripod and ball head.......

Haven't decided yet but may decide to replace with the DryZone 200 (it floats without tripod attached and is water Proof...of course it floats:D)

I have had such great luck with my LowePro bags I can't see trading to another brand....the Pro trekker has a fully adjustable harness system for your backing comfort............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2008
    I would not recommend the LowePro CompuTrecker AW,
    without a laptop or a replacement plate it is very uncomfortable
    on your back. If you want to carry only a "small" amount of gear
    (1 body with grip, 16-35/2.8, 24-70/2.8, 70-200/2.8, 1 Extender,
    Flash, Tripod with head, chargers, 1.5L bottle) I can recommend
    the new LowePro Flipside 300 AW. It's by far my most favorite
    bag for one day trips. It is also quite inexpensive btw.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    I have been using the Lowepro trekker AW for almost 4 years. It accompanies me more than 100 trips from business trips round the world to 22 days in Alaska, 16 days in Tibet and recently 10 days in Shangri-la.
    I usually use it to carry almost all my gears including the 5D and 300D body, the 24-105, 70-200 F2.8 IS, Sigma 18-200, 2xTC, 550EX and one more flash, Epson 2000 HD, a Dell laptop. Occassionally, I add the 100 macro as well. With the SLIK Pro 340 tripod, it weights about 15 kg.
    The day pack outside is good for a windbreaker and some accessories.
    There are 2 loops on each side which can mount the lens and water bottle.
    I like the waist belt and chest belt which help to secure the bag nicely.

the built raincoat saved my gears many times. It is really rain proof (proven).
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
  • Options
    BLUEThunderBLUEThunder Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    WOW, thanks for all of the good info! I am still looking at bags. Your info is helpful.

I am leaning toward just carrying my gear in my Osprey backpack like one of you said. I already have an awesome Osprey pack that I use in the mountains and generally I only carry one or two lenses when setting out to do specific photography in the woods.

I msy just get a new camera bag that will house everything and then carry only what's necessary when hanging off a cliff somewhere.
  • Options
    kangamanguskangamangus Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=87268

See my post!

I use this bag on my dirtbike, snowboard, hiking and as a carry on.
    Very well rounded. I love it!
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    WOW, thanks for all of the good info! I am still looking at bags. Your info is helpful.

I am leaning toward just carrying my gear in my Osprey backpack like one of you said. I already have an awesome Osprey pack that I use in the mountains and generally I only carry one or two lenses when setting out to do specific photography in the woods.

I msy just get a new camera bag that will house everything and then carry only what's necessary when hanging off a cliff somewhere.

I use 2 LowePro 75AW's to carry 1 body in each with lens attached (1 has a 24-70 and other a 70-210 both f2.8....in either I could carry 1 flash tons of memory cards and upto 10 extra batteries (np400 size) bothe this vertical bags are put on a military Pistol belt with the pistol belt suspenders ( I use a "H" style suspenders to keep the nbags in place for riding my MC)....this might be an option also and could be work along with your Osprey while hiking keeping everything in reach.........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    gdcall14gdcall14 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited May 28, 2008
    Tamrac Adventure 10 backpack
    I am selling my New Tamrac Adventure 10 Backpack. It is too big for me. Let me know if you are interested in it. It has gotten good reviews. I just need something a little smaller. $160. email me at gdcall@charter.net
    Carol
  • Options
    lightyearlightyear Registered Users Posts: 185 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2008
    another backpack opinion
    I iniitially had the LowePro Trekker AW mentioned by another. It holds more equipment than I would use, and has enough extra space for lots. It is BIG and HEAVy when loaded, and on tight corners tends to throw me off balance. Fortunately, I had a friend going to Alaska who needed a BIG bag and sold it to him. I then went to a nearby camera store (now closed along with lots of other camera stores) and tried on every photo backpack (LowePro, Tamrac, others) in the place and eventually bought the LowePro MiniTrekker. It is not that mini.It holds my main camera,backup body, lenses and lots of other junk, There is a well-placed tripod holder, and other pockets for water,lunch, etc. This bag has wrked well for me in the Sierra Nevada, canoeing, bouldering in Moab, Utah, etc. The key to selection is to find one that fits your body and will hold what you need. If the bag is too heavy or bulky you won't use it. I also tried Moose Peterson's bag (Moose himself is a very big man)and found it TOO BIG, but if you are as big as he is, you might like it.
    Stan
  • Options
    PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2008
    just to share some experience.

It is better to unmount the lens from the body before packing in the backpack. Firstly, it is smaller and easier to pack. Secondly, it is to avoid the excessive force to the mounting bracket either on the camera or lens during the transport.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
  • Options
    perblperbl Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited June 1, 2008
    Just to give some inputs.

In my opinion, Lowepros and similar packs are great for transporting equipment, and they excel at that. What they do not do very well, is to fullfill the other requirements required on a backpack designed for skiing or other outdoor activities. In my opinion, there are very few camera backpacks out there that fulfills the requirement of both being able to carry your camera equipment, as well as functioning as a skiing backpack, with good harnesses for attaching skis and other equipment, feel good on your back while hiking up a mountain etc, have room for shovels and avalanche equipment etc.

I narrowed my options down to two packs, the Dakine Sequence: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgTp0DhWqHs and the relatively new developed F-Stop packs ( http://www.fstopgear.com ). K2 as well as Burton also produces packs that are quite similar to the Dakine, but I did not have access to a dealer that sold them. I opted for the F-stop Tilopa, partly of the feedback the packs got on the forum at tetongravity.com, where they seemed to be favored by people who had tried the Dakine as well.

My order was placed before the weekend, so with luck I should receive the pack in a week or so, I can post my impression of it here when I get it.

The other option as I see it, is to use a conventional pack such as an Osprey etc, and stuff your equipment in other bags for protection. If you are going to use loose Toploaders etc in them, you probably need a bag with a little size, such as the Arc'teryx Borea, since the loose bags tend to take up quite a bit of space.
  • Options
    TdcomptonTdcompton Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2008
    I carry the Lowepro CompuDaypack and I have never experienced the discomfort that an earlier poster talked about... ne_nau.gif I've had it for two years and even after being put through the ringer it has held up well. At the Rolex Kentucky Three-Day Event I carried it for an entire day without any discomfort and I like that you have spaces for everyday items that you will want to have with you for an all day trek such as your keys, food, ect.

I used it as my primary bag until I bought more and more equipment, obviously I still go back to it when I know exactly what I will need and don't need everything else that I keep in my larger bag.