Options

Wildflower hills in Central California

JohnDCJohnDC Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
edited April 1, 2008 in Landscapes
All of these were taken around 20 March 2008 in eastern San Luis Obispo County, California.

94639557.jpg

94639558.jpg

94792411.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Glenn NKGlenn NK Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2008
    Good grief, I can hardly believe there were that many flowers in bloom at once. Stunning.

Those are striking; I like the composition of the second one. And it looks so inviting - begging one to take a leisurely drive and stop often to absorb the beauty.
    "There is nothing that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man’s lawful prey". John Ruskin 1819 - 1900
  • Options
    djspinner2kdjspinner2k Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2008
    Really cool pictures. If I took a picture of michigan right now it would be dead with snow still on the ground.

#3 reminds me of a background from windows XP.
    EVGENY:D
    www.petrovphotography.com
    http://petrovphotography.smugmug.com

Canon 30D
    Canon 24-70mm F2.8L
    Canon 70-200mm F2.8L
    Canon 430EX Flash
  • Options
    VrungelVrungel Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2008
    yes, this year is great for spring flowers.
    Great photos!
  • Options
    shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2008
    JohnDC wrote:
    All of these were taken around 20 March 2008 in eastern San Luis Obispo County, California.

Beautiful shots.... where exactly did you shoot these? What freeway etc? I have to go there to check this out... Amazing... Thanks for sharing...

N
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2008
    I like the layered composition of no. 2 the best, adds depth.
    I was there this weekend and the conditions were tough with sparse poppies and cold windy condition.

Good shots.
  • Options
    JonMikalJonMikal Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2008
    nature's beauty abounds in these images!
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2008
    shniks wrote:
    Beautiful shots.... where exactly did you shoot these? What freeway etc? I have to go there to check this out... Amazing... Thanks for sharing...

N

Thanks. These were taken on side roads between Hwy 46 and Hwy 58. The roads were Bitterwater Rd and Bitterwater Valley Rd. But be careful: these open grazing cattle areas--not fenced in--with cows in the road around every corner. Don't try freeway driving there.
  • Options
    NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    Wow eek7.gif Every time I've driven through California those hills are just brown... golden brown, but brown none the less ne_nau.gif Great images. Thanks for sharing.
    Dan

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
    I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2008
    Tee Why wrote:
    I like the layered composition of no. 2 the best, adds depth.
    I was there this weekend and the conditions were tough with sparse poppies and cold windy condition.

Good shots.

Thanks, Tee Why. More rain is predicted for the area, which may produce another set of blooms. Somewhere around '96 - '98 it rained and snowed until the end of May, and the mixture of flowers in the hills was incredible on Memorial Day. So, you may have more chances over the next few months.
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2008
    Glenn NK wrote:
    Good grief, I can hardly believe there were that many flowers in bloom at once. Stunning.

Those are striking; I like the composition of the second one. And it looks so inviting - begging one to take a leisurely drive and stop often to absorb the beauty.

Thanks, Glenn. That's exactly what I did. I took a few days off during the week and had the place to myself. So, I leisurely drove and stopped to take photos whenever I felt like it.
    John
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2008
    Wow eek7.gif Every time I've driven through California those hills are just brown... golden brown, but brown none the less ne_nau.gif Great images. Thanks for sharing.

You're welcome, Arctic. Some of the best flower displays I've seen were up your way, in the Aleutians in June. Including orchids in the wild. But I was working and didn't get much time to take photos.

The drought in California broke this year. Everything near the coast is green--so green that I decided not to photograph one neon green valley because everyone would think I faked the color in PhotoShop....
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    Wow! I feel a road trip coming on!!! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    Beautiful! Looks like magical velvet. :D