Trying to Decide on a New Camera - XTi or 30D?

dawssvtdawssvt Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
edited April 3, 2008 in Cameras
My Digital Rebel died on me a few weeks ago and I am going to replace it here in a few days. I am trying hard to decide between the XTi and 30D. The 30D is only about $125 more with the lens that I want to get. I am looking at getting a Canon 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS lens to go along with either body.

I am not a very experienced photographer by any means, but I am trying to learn more as I go along. The camera will be used for just common stuff such as family events and pictures of my Ford Mustang.

Suggestions?

Website
My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
5DMII | 24-105mm f/4L | 45mm TS/E | 135mm f/2.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 50mm f/1.4
| 580EX II & 430EX

Comments

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    I am happy with 400D aka XTi and its 1st SLR

but here are things that annoyed me

Auto focus points are too faded sometimes i cannot even see which one blinks to confirm focus.

Sometimes it feels too small especially when big guns are around :D

If you can afford 30D go for it thumb.gif

You never know when you will become serious shooter.
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Wingin'ItWingin'It Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    The XTi takes perfectly good pictures, and if you liked your old Rebel, you would like the new one. However, if you have a chance to get a 30D, don't hesitate to take it. The Rebel series feels too small in my hands. The 30D is a better fit and is built solid.
    I would suggest looking at a wider zoom lens for general picture taking. Since it is a crop sensor, the 28-135mm isn't that wide. I use the 17-85mm lens and love it, but there is some distortion at the wide end.

Have fun shopping!
    I was perfectly fine with my camera until I found this place. :evil :dunno
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,076 moderator
    edited April 1, 2008
    Dawssvt, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

I don't recommend EBay for camera purchases if this is to be your only camera. You just don't know the history of the camera and EBay has limited protection other than you will get "something", working well or not.

I would much rather steer you towards the Flea Market here or at Fred Miranda (FM) or one of the used cameras at KEH, B&H or Adorama.

The folks here and at FM tend to be much more honest about the condition of the equipment. If you buy from a long-time member you also have a real contact in case something should happen.

Used equipment from one of the established sellers of used equipment usually comes with an actual warranty of some sort, and return/exchange privileges you don't get from a private sale.

Do you still have lenses from your previous camera?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited April 1, 2008
    why not ebay ziggy!
    You say dont buy on ebay however 3 of the 4 you recommend sell on ebay, how ironic! Not being a, you know what. just your comment seems biased. I have purchased 98 percent of my gear off ebay and have Zero problems. if you do your research first then you know what your looking for and can steer clear of the fakes. just my 2 cents ziggy!!
    ziggy53 wrote:

I don't recommend EBay for camera purchases if this is to be your only camera. You just don't know the history of the camera and EBay has limited protection other than you will get "something", working well or not.

I would much rather steer you towards the Flea Market here or at Fred Miranda (FM) or one of the used cameras at KEH, B&H or Adorama.

The folks here and at FM tend to be much more honest about the condition of the equipment. If you buy from a long-time member you also have a real contact in case something should happen.

Used equipment from one of the established sellers of used equipment usually comes with an actual warranty of some sort, and return/exchange privileges you don't get from a private sale.

• claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    ebay is definitely a more hazardous route to take with all the scammers & crooks using it--photo gear is a highly targeted area for them. Most all of us recommend looking at the used gear forum here & at FM (the two most active & trustworthy ones), as well as checking KEH (biggest used gear dealer on the net) and the used departments at B&H and Adorama first. They are considered much safer places to shop.

That said, there are good sellers on ebay, but as you say you really have to do your homework on them. ziggy is just offering his usually knowledgeable, friendly advice. Take it or ignore it as you will.
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    Sold my XT on ebay and got burned. Customer paid by paypal then after they received the cam, requested a refund from Paypal saying someone fraudulently used their account. Paypal refunded the money and started sending me notices saying that I owed them! Meanwhile this fool has my camera. Even with all the transaction conversation, fedex information, insurance, receipts, etc...
    Ebay, Paypal and Squaretrade are all in the same so...
    I will never use Ebay or Paypal again. There is no protection. Take Ebay and shove it. How's that for bias?
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    That is a brand new camera from someone with a good reputation on EBAY, right?

I don't see the problem.
  • dawssvtdawssvt Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    I am happy with 400D aka XTi and its 1st SLR

but here are things that annoyed me

Auto focus points are too faded sometimes i cannot even see which one blinks to confirm focus.

Sometimes it feels too small especially when big guns are around :D

If you can afford 30D go for it thumb.gif

You never know when you will become serious shooter.

Yea, I figured I wouldn't really know until I got into photography more. I think I will probably go with the 30D just to try something different. My dad has an XTi, so I am pretty familiar with how they feel.
    Wingin'It wrote:
    The XTi takes perfectly good pictures, and if you liked your old Rebel, you would like the new one. However, if you have a chance to get a 30D, don't hesitate to take it. The Rebel series feels too small in my hands. The 30D is a better fit and is built solid.
    I would suggest looking at a wider zoom lens for general picture taking. Since it is a crop sensor, the 28-135mm isn't that wide. I use the 17-85mm lens and love it, but there is some distortion at the wide end.

Have fun shopping!

My dad (joshhuntnm) has an XTi with a 28-200 lens and I have shot with it some. I don't mind not having the wider zoom and I'm willing to give that up for a longer range. I have also read review after review about how the 28-135 lens is sharper than the 17-85, but you probably know more about it than me.
    ziggy53 wrote:

Well, I am not going to be buying a used camera if I get the XTi or the 30D. It's actually a company who is selling the 30D/XTi on eBay that I mentioned above. It's not a private seller and they seem to have great customer service when it comes to returns.

I have bought countless things on eBay, so I am a pretty experienced buyer. I have bought several cars, stereo equipment, and waaaay too many parts for my Ford Mustang on eBay. I kinda know what to look for in an auction and what to avoid. I do have the kit lens from the Digital Rebel, but it is a little beat up, so that is why I was planning on getting a new lens for this new camera. Also, it's an excuse for me to get a lend much nicer than the kit lens :D
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    That is a brand new camera from someone with a good reputation on EBAY, right?

I don't see the problem.

Correct. I don't really see a difference in buying it on eBay in comparison to getting it from B&H or another company just due to the fact that I am buying it from a company that is based their on eBay. It's not just a private seller.

Anyways... Away from the eBay discussion - 30D or XTi? I am leaning towards the 30D right now.

Website
    My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
    5DMII | 24-105mm f/4L | 45mm TS/E | 135mm f/2.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 50mm f/1.4
    | 580EX II & 430EX

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,076 moderator
    edited April 1, 2008
    OK, I understand now. Buying a new camera from a respected dealer on EBay is different than what I thought was happening. As long as you are familiar with the firm and the process, go for it.

For the minimal price difference between the two cameras I would say the Canon 30D is considerably more responsive than the XTi/400D, has an improved shutter and more durable chassis. You also get a usable ISO 3200 when you need it.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    I have both and if I had to have just one body, I'd go for the 30D. Much nicer build, nicer viewfinder, 1/3 ISO, faster fps, longer lasting battery.

Unless you have very small hands, want a lightest body possible, or want the dust reduction system, I'd go for the 30D if you can swing it.

As for lenses, I'd skip the 28-135mm. It's not very wide for your only lens and optically, I didn't find it impressive when I had it. A Tamron 17-50 or a Sigma 17-70 is optically better and offers more speed and a more versatile range in my view.
  • jbswearjbswear Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2008
    I've never used the 30D, but I have used my XTi for a year and a half. My counter just tripped back to 0000...as in over 10k shots.

I have absolutely no complaints, but also have absolutely no other experience to compair it to.

Dust reduction system my arse. My only complaint is the faulty advertising. That dust reduction really doesn't work. You still have to occassionally wipe the sensor to clear it of dust.

But, from what I've heard here, if I were to drop/break/lose my XTi, I'd replace it with a 30D.
    Semper fi,
    Brad
    www.facebook.com/SwearingenTurnings -- Hand made pens by yours truly
  • rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2008
    Agree with Ziggy53
    I would grab the 30D over the Rebel if you can afford it.

I have an XT and a 30D and like the 30D much better. There isn't a great, if any, difference in image quality - it is just that the 30D is much more (IMO) pleasant to shoot with. Controls, viewfinder, LCD, burst speed, focusing ability and all of the above...

I bought my 30D as a refurb and got a good price. I have had it since June 07 with no problems. I had to sent both my 10D and 350D in for service within the first 90 days of getting each camera.

I have more confidence in Canon Service Centers Quality Control, than in Canon Assembly Line Quality Control.
  • JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2008
    There is a used 30D for sale at B&H for around $700. I got my first 30D used after I bought it from Doug (having dropped it approximately 3 feet to the concrete) and despite my rather rough treatment of it, it functions spot on. The controls, tough body, and general hardiness of it beat out the rebel and all it's iterations.

Also, the ladeez love it.
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • Glenn NKGlenn NK Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2008
    OP:

Have you checked the company here?

http://www.resellerratings.com/rlist-s1-n2.html
    "There is nothing that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man’s lawful prey". John Ruskin 1819 - 1900
    edited April 3, 2008
    I was just about to buy the 30D with the Canon 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS lens last night and I was checking over the listing one last time to make sure I didn't miss anything. Well, the seller was advertising the item as brand new, but there was fine print on the bottom of the listing that said it was refurbished. Needless to say, I was a little disappointed - I won't be buying from that seller ever because of how misleading it was.

I started looking around for a 30D body and they all around $800. With the lens that puts me right around $1,200 which was more than I was going to spend.

I went to Best Buy last night just to mess with the 40D and see how the 30D/40D body felt in comparison to the Rebel. I must say, I like the size of the body MUCH better. Not to mention the Digic III chip, 3" screen, and the live view. So, I just decided to go for the 40D - I just ordered it tonight :D

Website
    My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
    | 580EX II & 430EX

• joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2008
    This is my boy. . .

Can't decide between the xti and 30d. . . hmmm. . .. what to do. . . heck, let's buy the 40d!
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2008
    rolleyes1.gif It's only money, right? :D
  • rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2008
    Refurbished 30D $649 at Adorama
    http://www.adorama.com/ICA30DR.html?searchinfo=refurbished%2030D&item_no=3

A refurb 30D has a 90 day warranty and is also eligible for an extended Mack Warranty if you desire...

Throw in the excellent 17-50mm f/2.8 Tamron at $450.00 and your total comes out to $1,100. Use the extra $100 for a battery or two and for shipping costs as well as a decent after-market strap.
  • bikingbetsbikingbets Registered Users Posts: 160 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2008
    I'm wondering if there's enough room in your life for a Mustang AND a 40D...mwink.gif

Congrats on a great choice! thumb.gif

Betsy
    Canon 40D, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, 50mm f/1.4 USM, 85mm f/1.8 USM, 24-105mm f/4L IS, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM , 580EX ll
    edited April 3, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    This is my boy. . .

Can't decide between the xti and 30d. . . hmmm. . .. what to do. . . heck, let's buy the 40d!

wings.gifI guess I get my buying gene from my dad!

Website
    My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
    | 580EX II & 430EX