Options

Dodgers vs Red sox at Memorial Coliseum

bon9bon9 Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
edited April 2, 2008 in Sports
These are not really action shots, so I am not sure they belong here.
This game set the world record for the largest crowd for a baseball game.

273472600_sF8Yn-XL.jpg

273471901_hqS6o-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    They Are Cool Shots
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave
  • Options
    bobcoolbobcool Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2008
    Is it me, or does that field look awfully short at left field? Maybe it's the wide angle lens distortion? If not, that's a hitter's park for sure!
  • Options
    bon9bon9 Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited April 2, 2008
    there was no left field. :)
    bobcool wrote:
    Is it me, or does that field look awfully short at left field? Maybe it's the wide angle lens distortion? If not, that's a hitter's park for sure!

It's only 200 feet to the left field fence although there was 60 foot screen.
    Basically, there was no place for left fielder, so dodgers looked like they have 5 infielders with 2 outfielders. Red sox left fielder was right at the wall in left center. A quote from an article... Boston catcher Jason Varitek took one look at the configuration and said, "Final score, Dodgers 85, Red Sox 81."

The game itself was pretty ridiculous, but people seemed to have a great time. I think what really counts was the whole event and the countless people in the stadium.... and the horrendous traffic. :)
  • Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2008
    Really like that first shot. The flare off the light bursts is a bit distracting - not sure if that's easily correctable - or more to the point, preventable.

Still, a great illustration of getting a good shot given your location. Too many people try and fail to capture action from poor seats. Wide shots like this have much more impact.

Very well done! And thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    Bassett1976Bassett1976 Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited April 2, 2008
    bon9 wrote:
    It's only 200 feet to the left field fence although there was 60 foot screen.
    Basically, there was no place for left fielder, so dodgers looked like they have 5 infielders with 2 outfielders. Red sox left fielder was right at the wall in left center.

This is called the Rio Hondo Defense. A local school in Arcadia, CA (Rio Hondo) has a field with no right field and a large net. They bring one of their outfielders into play behind second base and acts as a fifth infielder. The other two outfielders cover the rest of the outfield. It's an interesting configuration that works really well when you are use to it.

I wanted to see more shots off the net in left though.
    bassett1976.smugmug.com
    www.fitmet.com