Options

Los Angeles in 10 Days (21 images)

queequegqueequeg Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
edited April 4, 2008 in Journeys
At the end of March, I headed out to Southern California to visit my boyfriend over my spring break. I had a dreadful cold for a few days before (and during) my trip, and wound up looking like a certain red-nosed reindeer for a few days into the trip, but despite that managed to have a wonderful time. Dan (my boyfriend) planned out a lot of the itinerary, and I didn't really know what we were going to go do until we went to go do it.

First up was a trip to Descanso Gardens in La Canada Flintridge. This time was much different than my previous experiences with Descanso, in that SoCal had experienced a lot of rain before my arrival and plants were actually in bloom!

268449265_KNEAj-M.jpg
Cherry trees in blossom! Needless to say I was very excited. (Dan took this picture... I think hanging around me so long has given him a bit of the photography bug).

268462722_o5Gmi-M-1.jpg
He's also a bit of a ham for the camera.

268442550_zcymV-M-1.jpg
268443113_9pq5A-M.jpg
Tulips in bloom, just in time for Easter!

Up next was a trip to the California Science Center over in Exposition Park. It's a neat little place -- free admission, you just have to pay for parking -- with a lot of interactive exhibits. Great for kids.

269188925_4vKsX-M.jpg
Dan at the other end of one of the exhibits on sound.

269195650_mQMT8-M.jpg
The Air and Space Exhibits are in a different building and are worth the walk (through the Rose Garden, which was unfortunately not in bloom yet). There are also a lot of interactive exhibits here.

Next was the Los Angeles Zoo. I LOVE this place. I was a member at the couples level when I lived in SoCal, and I can tell you, if you're a zoo person, you definitely get your money's worth.

270186214_epRCu-M-1.jpg

270207336_5ANMx-M-2.jpg
New to me -- Gorillas! (They were still building the habitat when I left SoCal.)

270276494_RtPX7-M.jpg
The bears were actually out and active (a rare sight -- usually they're sleeping in some corner of their habitat).

Another notable place to visit is the Huntington Gardens, in Pasadena. The grounds are HUGE, and they have a variety of gardens in different styles. My personal favorite is the Japanese Garden. In addition to the botanical beauty, there's usually an interesting bit of wildlife to see.

270811302_GCYAq-M.jpg
A little green heron after catching his lunch.

270815243_NSNDB-M.jpg

270823256_2zuLw-M-1.jpg
Lizards were also plenty abundant.

Knott's Berry Farm is a good alternative to Disneyland.

271044686_CYWHg-M.jpg
Those roller coasters are killer.

Also in Exposition Park is the LA County Musuem of Natural History, which, contrary to its name, has a lot more exhibits than just histories of th natural world.

271388136_jA5rM-M-1.jpg
Dan and the bear.

We spent a golden afternoon at Griffith Observatory, newly renovated.

271404856_x6qnc-M.jpg

271422293_PaM2V-M.jpg

271677966_eU6TT-M.jpg
Guess we should've gotten dinner before heading up the park.

And of course, a trip to LA wouldn't be complete without a trip to Santa Monica and Venice Beach. We managed to spend an entire afternoon wandering between the two, soaking in the local culture and meeting its various inhabitants.

271577938_ESwbY-M.jpg
Friendly neighborhood Willet. He hung around us for an hour, just watching.

271603838_jugak-M-1.jpg
This guy walks on broken glass for the tourists. He has an amazing patter down, and encourages audience participation by bringing some people into his sidewalk space, dressing them up, and making them do pointless things.

271622711_PknVj-M.jpg

271624681_54W4U-M.jpg

Thanks for looking/reading -- I know this was very image heavy (debated splitting it in two). I wound up more enthusiastic to share than I thought I'd be. For the images and places I left out: http://queequeg.smugmug.com/Vacation/483120

Comments

• Options
    dadwtwinsdadwtwins Registered Users Posts: 804 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2008
    I am sorry to say that I do not see any pics headscratch.gif
    My Homepage :thumb-->http://dthorp.smugmug.com
    My Photo Blog -->http://dthorpphoto.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2008
    All the pictures, except #15, are not showing up on this post, so I look at them on your page. Nice pics but your camera has major dust bunnies. Time to clean the sensor.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    queequegqueequeg Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited April 2, 2008
    yukio wrote:
    All the pictures, except #15, are not showing up on this post, so I look at them on your page. Nice pics but your camera has major dust bunnies. Time to clean the sensor.

Cuong

Strange that 15 showed up when none of the others did (it was in the same gallery as some of the others). Anyway, they should all be fixed now.

Time to clean my monitor, too. I had to look closely to tell what was dust on the screen and what was dust on the picture. Spring cleaning, here I come!
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2008
    My neck of the woods. Looks like a fun visit.
  • Options
    ryant35ryant35 Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited April 3, 2008
    I've got pictures of the Venice glass walker pic #19 from a couple of years ago. That guy is a riot. Uddaay!
  • Options
    mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2008
    Some thoughts..

I couldn't bear #14

#13 could use some livening up

Your subject on #8 looks like he was just monkeying around.

...Cool & fun series, thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited April 4, 2008
    It looks like you had a great time in LA-LA Land.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?