Options

Novice Corner - Curves (More)

DiffDiff Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
edited April 4, 2008 in Finishing School
Most of the CS3 work books have limited discussion when it comes to curves (Deke McClelland "One-on-one" & Chris Orwig - Video Trainging Book "...For Photographers"). Plus, most of the images in & around the discussion of curves, doesn't transfer very well to my images.

I've read through lots of posts here (Going back to '06) regarding "curves." Is there a progressive (Going from basic "Pop Tutorial" and then more) tutorial here in this forum where everything is pulled together?

Or, is there a good book (or other source) reference someone would recommend? Ok, I'm aware of the discussion regarding "The Classic Guide to Color Corrections." I'm thinking this is more advanced than where I'm at, which "novice"

Thanks!
~ Diff ~

Comments

• Options
    BinaryFxBinaryFx Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2008
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2008
    WOW...

Thanks Stephen!

Oh btw - I did stumble across POP turtorial part 2 & 3.
    ~ Diff ~

• Options
    OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2008
    Hands down I've found that the best resource (for me, at least) for really understanding the hows and whys of Photoshop (including curves) has been Bruce Fraser's Real World series - currently Real World Photoshop CS3 and Real World Camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop CS3. Technical yet incredibly easy to read, they teach you how Photoshop "thinks" so you can learn to work through things on your own or have a better understanding of what you're doing when you're following a tutorial. There's no creative stuff in these books though! And no "plug-in-these-numbers" recipes either.

I first bought them when I upgraded to CS and decided to get serious about this software I had been spending so much money on. When I upgraded to CS3 and Raw 4.x I bought the updated versions of the books because I knew they'd get me up to speed quickly. They just make it all "click" for me. After quickly devouring both of them, I continue to re-read chapters because the learning is incremental, and I keep them next to my computer for handy reference. These two books are my PS bible.

Unfortunately these books have taught me that more I learn about Photoshop, the more I still need to learn. :D It's never ending.

Now that Bruce is no longer with us I only hope his co-writers can continue the tradition with future releases of PS.

And you're right, Margulis' books are best left for later. Highly technical, not easy to read and definitely not for the novice. A wealth of information and they will give you a whole new perspective. They are not for the beginner, but definitely worth working your way up to.
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2008
    >> Real World Photoshop CS3

Thanks for mentioning this book. I actually have the RAW version.
    ~ Diff ~

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited April 3, 2008
    Bruce Fraser and Jeff Schewe's Real World Camera RAW with PSCS 3 is worth its weight in gold.

Read it, and learn it, and use it!!thumb.gif

Katrin Eismann and Sean Duggan's "The Creative Digital Darkroom" is an excellent volume also. Straight forward, and useful stuff.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2008
    Real World - I've enjoyed reading the book, even a second time. Right now, I must get grounded with PS CS3 with my exiting JPEG images, a lot of them posted here. Then, I'll take on shooting RAW with my Nikon D-70.

"The Creative Digital Darkroom" - Looked on Amazon & this looks like a very good book. Any of their other stuff gooed?

First, my need is post some pictures there and get some freedback.
    ~ Diff ~