Options

Camera advice req'd.

Steve PickfordSteve Pickford Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
edited March 21, 2005 in Cameras
After a bit of advice:

Whilst over estimating my snowboarding abilities & falling over backwards, I squashed my Canon A60 PowerShot, pushing the retractable lens right back in to the body by a couple of mm. The lens no longer moves but the image screen works. It's probably uneconomic to repair?

I need to replace it & am thinking about going for the A70 or A75 as they take the A60's CF cards & rechargeable AA batteries - I have plenty of both. I don't really need anything more sophisticated as I tend to view my photos only via a PC. I also share them using Smugmug (www.possu.smugmug.com) & frequent the AdvRider site regularly.

I don't think I need more than 3mp? The A60 had 3x Optical Zoom, same as the A70/75, I remember sometimes thinking that a bigger zoom would be better - any thoughts on this?

All other comments appreciated? Any other cameras in the same price range that take CF/AA that you can recommend? I'm not in to sticky out screens or flashlights, just a basic camera.

Yes, I do have a camera lens shaped bruise on my back. :rofl

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2005
    From looking at your travel stuff a while back in ADV i find it hard to believe that you are not a DSLR user.

For pocket stuff i dont think you can go past the canon A series....which ever of them suits your budget. 3/4 MP is fine for computer viewing & the odd print.
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    From looking at your travel stuff a while back in ADV i find it hard to believe that you are not a DSLR user.

For pocket stuff i dont think you can go past the canon A series....which ever of them suits your budget. 3/4 MP is fine for computer viewing & the odd print.
    Took me a minutes to work out what DSLR stood for. rolleyes1.gif

Is that a compliment? If so, then thanks. thumb.gif

I like the A series, easy to use for camera Luddite such as my myself. Looking on Amazon.co.uk, there seems to be little difference in price between the A70 & A75? I assume that the 75 is an update of or higher spec than the 70?

Any thoughts on what level of optical zoom I should be looking at?
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2005
    Steve, here's a review of the A75 that discusses how it's different to the A70.

WRT zoom, 3x is pretty standard for that size camera. You can spend more and get more zoom if it's a big deal.

FWIW, the A-series cameras are a pretty sweet number.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Steve, here's a review of the A75 that discusses how it's different to the A70.

WRT zoom, 3x is pretty standard for that size camera. You can spend more and get more zoom if it's a big deal.

FWIW, the A-series cameras are a pretty sweet number.
    Thanks for the link.thumb.gif I think I'll be going for the A75, the linked also linked me to UK prices that bettered Amazon UK by over 20% (£111.62 v £141.70).

Owe you drink should we meet, thanks again.:):
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2005
    Thanks for the link.thumb.gif I think I'll be going for the A75, the linked also linked me to UK prices that bettered Amazon UK by over 20% (£111.62 v £141.70).

Owe you drink should we meet, thanks again.:):
    Excellent! I'll buy the second round. beer.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2005
    You might also consider the a510. It dosn't take the CF card, it takes the SD though. I just got one. It came down to the a75 and the a510. Since the a510 replaced the a75 and it's the same price with more features I went with the a510. The a510 has 4x versues 3x in the a75 and the a510 only requires two AA instead of 4 AA with the same amount of pictures possible because of new power saving techniques. Just my .02

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2005
    Trouble makers. Both of you. :toni
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2005
    Eric&Susan wrote:
    You might also consider the a510. It dosn't take the CF card, it takes the SD though. I just got one. It came down to the a75 and the a510. Since the a510 replaced the a75 and it's the same price with more features I went with the a510. The a510 has 4x versues 3x in the a75 and the a510 only requires two AA instead of 4 AA with the same amount of pictures possible because of new power saving techniques. Just my .02

Eric
    I was aware of the A510 but had discounted because of the CF/SD issue........

But thanks to WXWAX's link, I can get an A510 for £130 inc tax compared to an A75 at £111. They're also offering a great deal on 256mb & 512mb SD cards at £17.24 & 26.81 respectively. I prefer 2 x 256 rather than 1 x 512 card but I could sell my CF's, buy 2 x 256 SD's & probably have a few £££ in my pocket.

It's looking like I'll be getting the A510.

Eric: thanks for the A510 tip.

WXWAX: thanks for the link to a cracking deal, looks like I owe you both a drinkfriday.gif

Amazing how prices have dropped in a year. I paid £130 for the A60 online 12 months ago, normal local retail was £180eek7.gif at the time. An EOS should be £50 in a years time at this rate.....rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2005
    Eric&Susan wrote:

Eric
    My brother has the A75, it's great. But I just made the same decision as all you folks and picked up an A510 for my wife. I haven't used it much yet, but it's a pretty nice unit.

Amazon has a Viking 512 SD card for $40-something, and there's a $15 rebate on it so it ends up being $28 or so with free shipping. Not a bad deal.
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2005
    Just ordered the A510 & a couple of 256mb cards online from ebuyer. Should arrive in a couple of days, will post pics ASAP.