Options

Product Photos: Feedback?

TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
edited April 5, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
I've recently taken up smoking a pipe. Acquiring such a habit necessarily leads to the purchase of several pipes. My brother is also a collector and I want to photograph his collection next weekend.

I purchased a Photoflex Lite Igloo. I have two speedlights (580EXII and 430EX) and two softboxes. I shoot the speedlights on full power and meter with a flashmeter. I'm shooting with a 40D and a Canon 100mm macro lens.

Here are a few of the results:

Peterson's #03, St. Patrick's Day 2008

274113973_vhCh6-L.jpg

274114428_b9nxm-XL.jpg

274113262_BzxiL-L.jpg

Stanwell Majestic 179

274116515_7JBhD-L.jpg

274116221_2Wnxy-L.jpg

274115744_u6ZM5-L.jpg

For a first effort, I'm very pleased with these results. I experimented with moving the flashes around, behind, above, but the best results seemed to be direct from the sides or slightly out front. The focal length of my lens has me shooting outside the enclosure, and sometimes I get reflections from the lights. I can't quite make out what's happening on the surface here:

274113075_JM6jb-L.jpg

Thanks for looking. Any comments or criticism would be welcome.
"Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site

Comments

• Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2008
    I'm not a product photography expert (or any kind of photography expert for that matter), but I think I've read somewhere that it's generally not a good idea for the photographer to appear in the product shots. Examples of this appera in 1, 2, 3, and maybe in #7.

All that aside, I think these are very good and I would be way satisfied with the results. They are well lit without being over-lit, focus seems to be quite good, though I'm thinking the DOF is a little too shallow in a couple of them.