Options

stock photography: question, advize needed

photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
edited April 5, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
274712199_yezhv-X3.jpg

274712939_U3Xjm-X3.jpg

Are two images that I took with the Nikon D300. I took them inside a stable, without flash, with ambient light. Cranked the Iso up to 6400 and got the mood I wanted. The question is if I can post those in a stock library.
Istock tells me that noise is out of the question, and boy, these pics are very noisy. To expect at such high ASA...
I prefer not to flash when animals involved, and a tripod in a stable does not seem like a good idea, as the animals move around, so I need to be able to move quickly too.
Does it mean that grainy pics (fast film) are not allowed in stock photography either?
Does it mean that I will never be able to sell my grainy pics, even though I want them like that?

On another level, is there anyone here who shot farm animals in stables?
How do you tackle it? Am I wrong not to want to flash the animals?

Any insight welcome...

Comments

• Options
    edited April 5, 2008
    I know we are not suppose to bump, but I am really waiting on some experiences from other stock photography shooters. I am sure there must be some on Dgrin...
    Anyone recognize my question?

Thanks
  • Options
    johnojohno Registered Users Posts: 617 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2008
    I'll take a stab at this...

Most Stock companies don't accept high noise images since they believe the end product may be used in magazines or other advertisements that, if enlarged, would give poor image quality, thus, not a very good ad or end product. Stock companies also upsize images with software to get larger resolution for end users...

that said, if they try to upsize a grainy image, the final product will look like crap.

one way I have gotten around this is by key wording "film grain" in the notes to the stock company...

Example is this pic:
    273746850_9rjQX-M.jpg

I added grainy old film to my key wording and told them this was intentional. It was accepted.

Don't know if that helps any. Again, I have seen things accepted on Stock companies that I thought would never stand a chance, and others denied, that looked perfect.

All you can do is try to let them know that is what the picture is... old film farm pictures with grain.

peace.
    johno~
    If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 1D Mark II / Canon 50D / Canon 30D / Canon G9
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS / Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L

blog
    johno's gallery
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2008
    johno wrote:
    I'll take a stab at this...

OHHHH, Thanks Johno, I love you...

I would never have thought of that... Very clever indeed. I bow in silence for your witt and will apply the same method.

Adding that it is only my stable pics that are that grainy. I in the mean time applied some rad filters, and they do look different, so I am not even sure if I will post the unfiltered images. But hey, as you say, adding grain in the keyword is the max.

Thank you SO MUCH!!!!!

Added a filtered one...