Options

rip off on ebay

SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
edited September 30, 2010 in Flea Market
I bought a "fisheye lens" on ebay. When it arrived at my house is was not a lens at all but a screw on adapter that went on the front of a lens and gave all the photos a green tint. This was not what I wanted so I contacted the seller and he agreed to refund my money. I sent it back to him and have not heard from him since. The lens arrived at his address on March 21st. I have sent several emails and phone calls but they go unanswered. It is a life learning lesson for me. I just wanted to warn everyone here not to buy from "
" [MOD Edited] on ebay.

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2008
    Did you pay with PayPal, secondly have you contacted EBAY with a complaint......Ebay is like any online retailer/reseller: BUYER BEWARE ....always ask pertinent ?'s prior to bidding......about exactly what the item is and also about return and refunds....but also letthe seller know you will contact EBAY and leave neg feed back ASAP........it may take a little effort but if you paid thru PayPal then file a complaint with them.....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    ...Art said some great stuff....
    That seller is actually promoting those things as being designed to fit certain filter sizes for other lenses. That is a key indication that those "things" are not camera-mounted. Plus, the resultant images he/she posts of using those things are c**p. I wouldn't have bought that just for that reason alone.
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2008
    Art, PayPal will only allow a dispute if it is within 45 days from the transaction date. This guy took 6 weeks to deliver the lens and I kept it about a week before deciding to return it and now it is past the 45 days...I am SOL.

RogersDA, I thought it was a lens...I guess I did not understand that it was a screw on piece of crap. You live and learn.rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2008
    Call paypal...tell them the circumstances....it cannot hurt...also contact EBAY and tell them the circumstances also......as of right now you may be out but with a little persistance it could pay off......also check him out on Resellar Rartings.....leave neg feed back......He has product back and needs to refund you....do not give up that is what the not so honest sellers are hoping for and how they stay in business...
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    IcebergsterIcebergster Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited April 12, 2008
    What did the lens look like? What was the sellers name/ store name?
    Canon XTi, Speedlite 580ex II, Speedlite 430ex, Canon EF-S 18-55mm, Canon EF 50mm 1.8mm, Canon 75-300mm, Sigma 10-20mm, (2) 4GB Extreme III

www.myspace.com/icebergster
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2008
    Make sure you review the bid very carefully before you dispute it w/ PayPal. Sometimes in our eagerness of finding the deal of the decade, we don't read the fine print. If it says anywhere on the bid that this "lens" was actually an adapter. The seller in question did nothing wrong and was merely providing you what they said they would.

Or I could be completely wrong and they could be total con artists. :D
  • Options
    jkcashinjkcashin Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited April 12, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Make sure you review the bid very carefully before you dispute it w/ PayPal. Sometimes in our eagerness of finding the deal of the decade, we don't read the fine print. If it says anywhere on the bid that this "lens" was actually an adapter. The seller in question did nothing wrong and was merely providing you what they said they would.

Or I could be completely wrong and they could be total con artists. :D
    Except that he still owes a promised refund.

Jamie
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2008
    jkcashin wrote:
    Except that he still owes a promised refund.

Jamie
    Good catch. I missed that part deal.gif:D
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2008
    The sellers ebay name [***MOD EDIT: Details removed***]. After several phone calls and emails, he still owes me the refund. I know he is alive because he did return two emails and one phone call. The email stated that he would refund my money. The phone call was after many phone calls that I made to him. He called me at 5:00 AM and hung up on me after I answered.
    After re-reading the ad on ebay, it does hint at the fact that it is a screw on adapter "lens". However he DID say sent it back for a refund. The lens was delivered to him on March 21st. As of today I have no refund. I guess I will chalk it up to my being stupid....NEVER AGAIN!
    My point of this post is to warn other photographers about this theif. It was only $61 with shipping but that is not the point here...Whew thanks for letting me rant about this jerk.

ICEBURGSTER: The lens looked like a screw on fish eye lens. It screwed on the front of the 18-55 kit lens on my D40X. There was a red tint to the front element and the photos had a green tint to them. To sum it up...junk
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 12, 2008
    What was the sellers name/ store name?
    This is not a place for disputes and calling anyone out, none of us are in a position to be a judge. Lets keep it to a useful discussion of better buying practices.

I've edited out the details in the above post.

thanks,
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    chuninchunin Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2008
    You don't have to be a genius to see that the lens is an adapter and a piece of junt. There is nothing hidden in the description. But if he said that he will refund he should.
  • Options
    lilrickylilricky Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited April 13, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    This is not a place for disputes and calling anyone out, none of us are in a position to be a judge. Lets keep it to a useful discussion of better buying practices.

I've edited out the details in the above post.

thanks,

I'm just curious, what's the point of this thread?
    Nice, my 1st post in 3 years.
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2008
    lilricky wrote:
    I'm just curious, what's the point of this thread?
    Nice, my 1st post in 3 years.
    A healthy thing called venting..
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2008
    Since I was the one that started the thread, I am the person that should answer the question about the point of the thread. My intention was to warn people that doing business with [***MOD EDIT***] MAY be a bad idea. He promised me a refund. I sent the lens back to him and he received it March 21st. I have yet to get my refund.

DoctorIt, I feel like I am in a position to be a judge in this case, however, since you "run" this area I will not post anything more about this issue.
  • Options
    James SJames S Registered Users Posts: 439 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2008
    I think his issue was posting the guys name. I looked last night and it states 7 days for a refund. So I don't see why you are entitled a refund. Only becasue you sent it back. I wouldn't be surprised if you got the product back. But because he is doing you a favor I see no reason why he would rush to refund your money or why you should expect him to.
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2008
    Thats a big 10-4 ole buddy, will throw caution on those bo bo lenses!!
    Canon XTi, Speedlite 580ex II, Speedlite 430ex, Canon EF-S 18-55mm, Canon EF 50mm 1.8mm, Canon 75-300mm, Sigma 10-20mm, (2) 4GB Extreme III

• Options
    edited April 13, 2008
    captain78 wrote:
    Since I was the one that started the thread, I am the person that should answer the question about the point of the thread.
    pardon me Mon Capitán rolleyes1.gif

I doubt if he gets the money back either. The provider did everything he was supposed to. I'm sure if you make it your mission to get your money back you probably will. But I don't think the time spent trying to get money back when you messed up in the first place and didn't read the fine print is worth it.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 13, 2008
    captain78 wrote:
    Since I was the one that started the thread, I am the person that should answer the question about the point of the thread. My intention was to warn people that doing business with [MOD EDIT] MAY be a bad idea. He promised me a refund. I sent the lens back to him and he received it March 21st. I have yet to get my refund.
    This is all fine and I sympathize with you for having a bad experience. However, its your word (which is currently agitated and far from objective) against someone else's, please see it from our perspective. I'm sure you can see how that will not fly around here. I'm sorry, edited once again.

DoctorIt, I feel like I am in a position to be a judge in this case, however, since you "run" this area I will not post anything more about this issue.
    As I tried to imply before, I'm not asking anyone to stop posting. On the contrary, one of the purposes of the forum is for people to help each other become better "flea marketers", share experiences, and learn from mistakes. I will reiterate, it is not a place for disputes.

thanks,
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited April 14, 2008
    Ok, then, without pointing any fingers then, what "brand" lens was it?

• Options
    jchinjchin Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    This is why I pay my eBay purchases through their PayPal system (nothing else) and USE a CREDIT CARD (American Express) on PayPal instead of the bank transfer.

If I have a problem, I file a complaint with American Express and not PayPal (this is if the seller does not respond).

BTW, my experience with American Express on these issues have been fantastic compared to my various VISA and MasterCard companies. Usually within a month, I see the credit from American Express (they usually just pull the money from PayPal). YMMV.
    Johnny J. Chin ~ J. Chin Photography
    FacebookFlickrSmugMug
    SmugMug referral coupon code: ix3uDyfBU6xXs
    (use this for a discount off your SmugMug subscription)
  • Options
    woohoowoohoo Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited July 12, 2010
    A just FYI!
    I made a purchase for an item through Amazon.com. I received a counterfeit item that was non-functional. I paid with a credit card.
    1) I contacted Amazon, and within a few weeks I was credited my loss by Amazon.
    2) I noticed this same item with multiple offerings on e-Bay by one seller, who was also the seller of the item on Amazon.
    3) I notified e-Bay to evaluate this fraudulent member, and for them to police their auction site.
    4) I notified the governmental regulatory agency that is responsible for this behavior and provided specifics of the Internet fraud I had experienced.
    5) The government policing agency did little if anything.
    6) e-Bay Administration failed to remove any of the listing, and this seller continued their fraudulent offerings on e-Bay for at minimum two addition months.
    7) Finally, about 90 days after being notified e-Bay censored this seller and rescinded their membership. nuff said.. LET THE BUYER BEWARE!!
    "Je pense donc je suis", 'cogitio ergo sum', (I think therefore I am) by Rene Descarte:dunno

A life of Illusion, "There goes the neighborhood", by Joe Walsh 1981 :ivar
  • Options
    DoorbieDoorbie Banned Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited August 13, 2010
    Give a bad review for them on any rating sites
  • Options
    asprinasprin Banned Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited August 13, 2010
    seems every site has some problem
  • Options
    DoorbieDoorbie Banned Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited August 23, 2010
    we should be carefull, but will also go on on ebay, actually, most of us will.
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2010
    When buying things on ebay, common sense is of an essence.

I'm sure you paid ~10-40$ for it.. Now, a healthy common sense would show that if the product was a real wide angle, many photogs would jump on it, thus driving the cost up. or it would be grabbed immediately.

The way i see it, adapters can be called a lens as well.. loosely used term.. but still.
    I do not see how it is sellers fault for one not doing a research before buying things.. BTW, those little, crappy adapters can help you get some ok images..
    I have used those myself, and had success using them...
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    edited September 30, 2010
    You've missed my point...
    I was told to send the lens back for a refund. I sent the lens back as requested but never got a refund.
  • Options
    jchinjchin Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2010
    captain78 wrote: »
    You've missed my point...
    I was told to send the lens back for a refund. I sent the lens back as requested but never got a refund.

Did you pay with a credit card? File a dispute through them. You can show them proof of return shipment, it shouldn't be a problem getting a credit.
    Johnny J. Chin ~ J. Chin Photography
    FacebookFlickrSmugMug
    SmugMug referral coupon code: ix3uDyfBU6xXs
    (use this for a discount off your SmugMug subscription)