Options

Morocco photo trip

retroretro Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
Going to Morocco in July, I know it's HOT!!
First Marrakesh, and i hope to get some good shots on Jamaa el Fna.
Then probably the mountains with small villages and waterfalls, Sahara desert...maybe Fez..
Would really appreciate advice from someone familiar with the country.

Comments

• Options
    Zeus1Zeus1 Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited March 26, 2008
    I visited Morocco about 10 years ago. First week organized bus tour of the 4 main cities. For me personally, only Marrakech and Fez were worth the trouble. Second week, jeep safari with a personal driver into the rural countryside south-southwest of Marrakech. Lots of beautiful scenery, quaint villages.
    People friendly but aloof. Most of the times they refused politely to be photographed, especially the women.
    Expect a bit of harassment to buy pottery in the smaller villages.
    Watch out for "fake" guides in the larger towns. They will steer You to a shop and try to persuade You to buy rugs and more pottery. Stay calm and polite, say "Inshallah" and walk away....

Morocco is beautiful. Of all the northern African countries we visited it is the most "westernized" and the most friendly to tourists.

Friends of mine visited the town of Essaouira on the coast, found it enchanting and something special.
  • Options
    retroretro Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2008
    Thanks Zeus1! Sounds promising..can't wait.
    Did you visit the desert? We will probably rent a car and go for the Sahara desert after the atlas mountains.
    Really looking forward to the beautiful sand dunes with abstract patterns..;)
    Zeus1 wrote:
    I visited Morocco about 10 years ago. First week organized bus tour of the 4 main cities. For me personally, only Marrakech and Fez were worth the trouble. Second week, jeep safari with a personal driver into the rural countryside south-southwest of Marrakech. Lots of beautiful scenery, quaint villages.
    People friendly but aloof. Most of the times they refused politely to be photographed, especially the women.
    Expect a bit of harassment to buy pottery in the smaller villages.
    Watch out for "fake" guides in the larger towns. They will steer You to a shop and try to persuade You to buy rugs and more pottery. Stay calm and polite, say "Inshallah" and walk away....

Morocco is beautiful. Of all the northern African countries we visited it is the most "westernized" and the most friendly to tourists.

Friends of mine visited the town of Essaouira on the coast, found it enchanting and something special.
  • Options
    Zeus1Zeus1 Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited April 7, 2008
    retro wrote:
    Thanks Zeus1! Sounds promising..can't wait.
    Did you visit the desert? We will probably rent a car and go for the Sahara desert after the atlas mountains.
    Really looking forward to the beautiful sand dunes with abstract patterns..;)

Self-driving in Morocco....I would not think of it: apparently if You are involved in a car accident You end up in the local jail until all paperwork is delt with. Don't know if this is true, but that is what we were told 10 years ago when we made our trip. We hired a jeep with local driver from a Belgian tour organizer living and working in Marrakech (did all this through our local tour organizer in Belgium some months before leaving). This local chauffeur followed a standard route to the southwest of Marrakech over local pistes (mostly "roads" without road covering, just rocks and sand). If i remember coorectly, we went as far as Ouarzazate, which is the beginning of the desert. We saw sand dunes, but did not drive through them. Did the usual stuff like camel riding, visiting and sleeping in a local tent camp etc. We also visited a small oasis with village, hidden in a deep valley. Entertained by the local chieftain with mint tea etc. Afterwards not so friendly encounter with the local women who were angry because we did not leave money on the table.

I would advise You to make some enquiries in self-driving a car in that region. A jeep with local driver is not too expensive and quite a luxury: they speak the local lingo and French and can help with unforeseen problems (e.g. one day we came to our restaurant for the midday meal....but they were closed, expected us another day.....the local driver found us some found in a local souck.