Options

Busy Days of Play

coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
edited March 21, 2005 in Sports
So after yesterday's snow wrestling, we headed out today and got in some toprope solo aid practice. Let me know what you think of this photo, cause lately I haven't been impressed with much of my own stuff, and I'm wondering if it's just me, or what.:rofl
John Borland
www.morffed.com

Comments

• Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2005
    Coldclimb I really like your posts because it lets me experience a pursuit that I wish I took up when I was younger. Now I just do not have the time and now being ...ahem gravitationaly challenged due to excess mass:lol4 I jist do not see it happening.

What are you looking for in your pictures? Are you looking for them to be like the once that grace magazines of outdoor pursuits?

Are they to be momentos used for reflection and reminicing with climbing partners?

Do you want them to be journalistic(telling a story)

Or do you want them to be artistic?

Now I look at the photo you posted . It looks like the person is enjoying themselves and it is a great capture in that essence that you caught the joy they feel in this activity.
    The angle of the shot is interesting as well.

Please take this with a grain of salt because my photograhic talents are...very much in the beginners stage.

The exposure looks tough, the white of the helmet looks a bit blown out and the greens of the plants look harsh. The sunlight here gave a unwanted shadow on your subjects face.It almost looks like the tree below your subject is more in focus than the climber.ne_nau.gif

Composition wise I find my eye drawn to the anchor point for the climber.

The rock looks like it had some nice color to it maybe some post work could bring it out?

In your Dgrin profile it states you are using a Fuji700?
    The nice thing about small cameras like these is being able to take shots from angles that are impossibe with dslrs. Use that to your advantage.

All in all it's not a bad photo. I just picked on some of the technical aspects.
    Some post work and cropping would most definitely be in order.
    Especially as A (stand alone) photo.
    It would fare better in a series of photos that tell a full and complete story.

Take in mind these are my opinions and as I have stated before I am a photographic neanderthal and you can feel free to tell me to stick my opinions where the sun does not shine and I will take no offence.eek7.gifrolleyes1.gif

I hope this is what you were looking for when you said this
    coldclimb wrote:
    Let me know what you think of this photo, cause lately I haven't been impressed with much of my own stuff, and I'm wondering if it's just me, or what.
    Oh yes please keep posting I like climbing pictures a lot

Cheers,

Tim
  • Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2005
    I did a little post work on the shot.
  • Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2005
    Yeah I think I like the closer crop better, thanks! At the time, I was trying to fit that spruce tree in, since it was cool and green, but I see now that it's better to ignore it. Makes the pic much better.
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited March 21, 2005
    Shakey, I like the crop. You've maintained a but of the ground. Enough to
    get a feel for height.

I'm a huge fan of the climbing shots. But they're tough. From a lighting
    and angle perspective--and especially if the subject is your belay partner :)

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?