Options

Saturday's wedding.. a bunch of pics (but they are small!)

heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
edited April 9, 2008 in Weddings
This wedding was such a fun one. The couple were really unusual in that they didn't get all caught up in the wedding frufru and were totally (and I mean TOTALLY) in love with each other and at peace about their wedding and ultimately their marriage. It was one of those special things to witness- thier utter happiness and joy. I had to work extra hard not to let my own emotions carry me away and wreck the shot!
During the whole bridal prep, the bride alternately laughed and cried for the joy of the moment. When she put her dress on... when she put her lipstick on... when she hugged her family... They were all moments that were so special to her that she would be tearfully joyfull or outright giddy for joy.
Pretty fun stuff to catch.
273282901_x4XaX-M.jpg
2. I thought her hair with the lilley was so pretty.
Lilleys were extra important to these guys-
since the groom's last name is Lilley.
273304748_Gunee-M.jpg
273321735_wsMVs-M.jpg
274331150_8EvF6-M.jpg
273332025_qGhAf-M.jpg
6. I cranked up the exposure in post on this one on purpose.
I like the effect on this one.
274330432_p5Eag-M.jpg
7. Too much blur you think? I am back and forth about it.
274329070_23rrT-M.jpg
8. She really is a beauty.
273447414_Apuvg-M.jpg
9. And seconds after #8 she was weeping for joy...
273455139_uckGp-M.jpg
10. Geesh... I haven't even got to the ceremony yet.
I always schedule about 20 minutes for the bride to rest and relax before the ceremony. And give her the option to have a special parent there to spend some time with her. She chose her dad. They spent their time... you guessed it... alternately laughing and crying.
273519361_MEg4g-M.jpg273531873_TFKu5-M.jpg
11. Walking down the asile
273579528_mwNLp-M.jpg
12. Prayers during communion:
273734314_PnNgf-M.jpg
13. And then as a picture of how he plans to serve her in their marriage, he washed her feet during the cerimony. It was very sweet.
273738202_rFNDy-M.jpg273749467_56t9M-M.jpg
13. And then she played the piano and sang a song she had written just for him. And all the moms and grandmas and bridesmaids and guests all cried with the sweet beauty of the moment.
273755606_GRHs6-S.jpg
273758139_oiHHJ-M.jpg
14. Aaaaand they are married.
274332510_SBNxJ-M.jpg
15. Some quick portraits
273829911_5d4xa-M.jpg
16. Signing the marriage license
273863513_TcgxX-M.jpg
17. I always enjoy cake shots.
273910283_uZffH-M.jpg
18. Getting the garter with the teeth...
274069129_atPVZ-M.jpg
19. After the getaway, they agreed to meet me at a local park for some portraits. For an Alaskan wedding in March, it was the perfect weather if a little chilly. We were just glad most of the break up (muddy time in the spring) is over.
272489948_ueKuw-L.jpg
20. 274136387_a3Hgz-M.jpg
21. The "almost" kiss (courtesy of Scott Quier):D
274161144_Pxw23-M.jpg
22. This was my attempt at an interesting take on a ring shot. I didn't quite get them in focus enough, but still like the idea.
274167984_6K2uL-M.jpg
23. I am having a hard time picking which to share- they are all pretty darn good, if I don't say so myself. :wink
274182650_533Ge-M.jpg
24. I'll let this be the last, though.
274333770_kiiGc-M.jpg

Hope you all enjoyed looking. I had a lot of fun with these two. Sorry there are so many! But seriously... I had a hard time forcing the keepers print count down to 550 in the final gallery.

Of couse all comments and critiques will be cherished!

Comments

• Options
    just4funjust4fun Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited April 4, 2008
    I love them!
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,928 moderator
    edited April 4, 2008
    clap.gifclapclap.gifclap These are some of the best wedding shots I have seen in ages. Fantastic captures.
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2008
    Nice shots
    Wow, 550 keepers and your stuggling to cull any more? :D

How many did you take total?

The first 10 shots all look abit hot for my taste, but the looks to be your style. So I'm not complaining :D

Coongrats on the sucessful wedding thumb.gif
  • Options
    Jeff_MiloJeff_Milo Registered Users Posts: 327 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2008
    All in All I really like them, while I will agree with SloYerRoll that with the exception of #6 the first ten could use some more contrast/darkening.

I think you did an outstanding job of capturing the moments of their day. One of my goals in shooting a wedding is capturing a shot that will take the B&G right back to remember exactally what they were thinking at that moment. I would say you have done that with several of these shots clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

7, 12, 14, 15 & 19 are my favorites, but 20 is a work of art - LOVE IT!!!
    Jeff Milo
    MILOStudios

www.milophotostudios.com
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2008
    UGH. You don't make it easy choosing a favorite!! Haha ... EXCELLENT JOB!! iloveyou.gif

I Love #3, 6, 12 is just gorgeous, 14 is a keeper (wish more couples would do such a "pose", 15 & 19 are beautiful ...., and I love #22 & 24. clap.gif

I think #4 would have maybe looked better horizontally (without the "industrial" looking stair)

BEAUTIFUL!!
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2008
    7 is great capture. My favorite
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2008
    Love the series - well done indeed.thumb.gif
  • Options
    ChasingFirefliesChasingFireflies Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited April 4, 2008
    Awesome job!!! bowdown.gif
  • Options
    cdonovancdonovan Registered Users Posts: 724 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2008
    Not much else to say that hasn't already been said, as I scrolled through I thought, oh, that's definitely my fav, then another great one would come along. It looks like one of those weddings, where things just click and end up being perfect! Congrats. You should be thrilled to show each and everyone of them!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2008
    That looks so great! clap.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2008
    :D Hey thanks everyone for your comments! I said I would cherish all of your comments and critiques and you can be sure that I am!
    That looks so great! clap.gif
    Thanks! I like clapping!
    Not much else to say that hasn't already been said, as I scrolled through I thought, oh, that's definitely my fav, then another great one would come along. It looks like one of those weddings, where things just click and end up being perfect! Congrats. You should be thrilled to show each and everyone of them!!!!!!!!
    Now that is a compliment!
    Thanks so much for it! I am truly thrilled!
    Awesome job!!! bowdown.gif
    Wow that is the first time anyone has ever used that smiley in reference to my work. :giggle Thanks!
    Love the series - well done indeed.thumb.gif
    It is neat to hear it from you! Thanks Scott!
    7 is great capture. My favorite
    Yup- that is a good one. She sure is a lovely lady!
    UGH. You don't make it easy choosing a favorite!! Haha ... EXCELLENT JOB!! iloveyou.gif
    My husband says laughingly says that I always try to make life difficult! Thanks for the really super nice compliment!
    I think you did an outstanding job of capturing the moments of their day. One of my goals in shooting a wedding is capturing a shot that will take the B&G right back to remember exactally what they were thinking at that moment. I would say you have done that with several of these shots clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

7, 12, 14, 15 & 19 are my favorites, but 20 is a work of art - LOVE IT!!!
    Work of Art? Holy smokes, that is a high compliment indeed!
    Thanks! And as to the look of the first few- you are right of course. I probably should have done that processing on a few rather than a bunch. I guess I just liked it and overdid it a bit.
    Wow, 550 keepers and your stuggling to cull any more? :D

How many did you take total?

The first 10 shots all look abit hot for my taste, but the looks to be your style. So I'm not complaining :D

Coongrats on the sucessful wedding thumb.gif
    I think I took around 1500 or so. It was around 12 gigs raw. And yes it is a bit hot. I just really like the look of the white vignette on the bridal portraits and perhaps overdid it. ne_nau.gif But I do like it.
    clap.gifclapclap.gifclap These are some of the best wedding shots I have seen in ages. Fantastic captures.
    Thanks Richard- I really was happy with them. I think the bride and groom will be too (If they ever decide to come back from their honeymoon! lol!)
    I love them!
    Thanks for that! I do appreciate the nice comment!

Here is one of my favorites that I forgot to put in:
    273358651_L8qeL-M.jpg

And my first try on cross processing. What do you think? I am still...uncertain if I like it. I just keep having prospective brides ask about it and need to figure it out.
    274328673_drm2m-M.jpg

Thanks again everybody for the encouragement! Makes me glad that I decided to do this. Who'd have thunk that I could make an income at something I love so much!?
  • Options
    DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2008
    Excellent series!!! Great captures, lighting, composition, PP. Wow! Inspiring.
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2008
    DavidS wrote:

Wow - those are excellent. I can totally see the bride's personality in those images. Boy would I be proud to have that wedding in my portfolio! Great shot on that bridge.

Wasilla is a pretty place to visit. I wouldn't expect a wedding from there to have such style since jeans and boots seem to be everyday wear. Where were the Iditerod Dogs? (just kidding!)
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2008
    Lots of emotional moments well captured. Nice.
  • Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2008
  • Options
    kwaichikwaichi Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited April 5, 2008
    Those are all really good. Great job!!!
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2008
    These are all top notch. Thanks for sharing. I think your processing looks great.....and you did a nice job with the cross process as well.

Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    BriShayBriShay Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

I am soo impressed! They tell such a story i got teary eyed looking at them! I need to learn from you :)bowdown.gif
    Shayna
    I'm a Nikon Girl:tuesday
    www.BriShayPhotography.com
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2008
    Fantastic series!!!!

#12 is really something special.clap.gif
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2008
    DavidS wrote:
    Thanks David!

Fantastic series!!!!

Yep- I think they will love that one too!
    I am soo impressed! They tell such a story i got teary eyed looking at them! I need to learn from you :)bowdown.gif
    You got teary eyed!? Aaaaw. . . You should have been there- it was tough not to get all worked up while avoiding camera shake. Learn away!
    These are all top notch. Thanks for sharing. I think your processing looks great.....and you did a nice job with the cross process as well.

Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks Jeff! I always admire your work so much so it means a lot coming from you. THANKS!
    Those are all really good. Great job!!!
    I always do my best, so it is nice to hear that I got somewhere! Thanks for the nice comment!
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    That is a lot of clappy guys! Thanks!
    Lots of emotional moments well captured. Nice.
    Thanks! It was all right there in front of me and all I had to do was look for it!
    Wow - those are excellent. I can totally see the bride's personality in those images. Boy would I be proud to have that wedding in my portfolio! Great shot on that bridge.

Wasilla is a pretty place to visit. I wouldn't expect a wedding from there to have such style since jeans and boots seem to be everyday wear. Where were the Iditerod Dogs? (just kidding!)
    You cracked me up! But you were not far from the truth!! It may have looked fancy in the pictures, but I have to confess that probably 2/3 of the guests were wearing their... you guessed it... jeans and boots. I actually have a bride that booked me for her wedding in 2009 and is planning on wearing jeans instead of a wedding dress. (of course she is going to be married at a gold claim with no "facilities" but go figure!) We are what we are! And what we Alaskans are is "comfortable" and happy! .... as I sit here in my jeans and slippers... Laughing.gif.
    Thanks for the compliment! It is always good to hear from you warm people in CA.

And two more for the road. On the first I thought about creating some personalized graphiti.... Still not sure on whether or not to do it, or even how to spell graphiti!
    274164294_4hEoN-M.jpg274174388_Q6RJD-M.jpg

Aaaah. I love romance.
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2008

And two more for the road. On the first I thought about creating some personalized graphiti.... Still not sure on weather or not to do it, or even how to spell graphiti!
    274164294_4hEoN-M.jpg
    Aaaah. I love romance.
    Or how to spell whether :D

This next to last photo is wonderful!
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2008
    Mitchell wrote:
    Fantastic series!!!!

Really enjoyed looking through these.
    4, 7, 15, 18, 19 and WoW on 20! thumb.gifthumb.gif
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2008
    Heather...these a simply WONDERFUL! My how you've captured emotion, feel, elegance and way cool looks! What a great variety you have here. Beautiful work! clap.gifclapclap.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552