Options

metadata embbed in image

lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
edited April 9, 2008 in Dgrin Forum Support
I'm sure this is written somewhere but I'm darned if I can find it... do search engines read information embedded within the image information? or only alt text and text within the web document. I think not but I'm not sure.
Thanks
:)

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited April 9, 2008
    lynnma wrote:
    I'm sure this is written somewhere but I'm darned if I can find it... do search engines read information embedded within the image information? or only alt text and text within the web document. I think not but I'm not sure.
    Thanks
    :)

Just the text, not in the image.
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    Just the text, not in the image.
    Thanks Richard... so what your saying is.. that all that info within the image such as, date taken, description etc camera info etc is all really to indentify the photographer, etc right?headscratch.gif not for any key word function. Sorry to be dense, just need to be certain. :)
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited April 9, 2008
    lynnma wrote:
    Thanks Richard... so what your saying is.. that all that info within the image such as, date taken, description etc camera info etc is all really to indentify the photographer, etc right?headscratch.gif not for any key word function. Sorry to be dense, just need to be certain. :)

Metadata (in the image file) can be read and processed by special programs, but the programs that search engines like Google use do not look in the image files. On the other hand, Smugmug does extract some of the metadata (basic EXIF, IPTC keywords and description if you have added these in post) and makes it available in your galleries. Google can then pick up the keywords just as if you had typed them directly into your Smugmug galleries. Other programs, like Lightroom and a variety of catalog managers can also pick up keywords from within image files and allow you to search for pics that way. If you put your keywords in the image you may avoid having to do data entry more than once.