Options

Rebel XT Observations

graflexTomgraflexTom Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
edited March 21, 2005 in Cameras
For many years I shot mostly with Nikons. I would shoot a Medium format here and there but found them to bulky for my Use. I even shot some landscapes with A graflex and Large 5x7 Kodak and media Cameras. I must admit Back in those days I HATED Cannon. The AE1 was the rage and I worked in a camera Shop where I had to fix them. I swore them off. Time is a cruel mistress and in Time I ended up shooting Wild life in Alaska with a 35mm and my partner was using a Rebel and had auto Focus. He was nailing the Shots I was missing.

So the first change took place I researched the Available auto Focus cameras on the market. Price, dependable service, and smart design were the Factors. Nikon lost the race. I bought my first Canon. Elan IIe awesome camera.

Now the time has come once again to give up a standard. The Film cost and developing issues are now forcing me to go digital. I shopped for a Long time Cost verse usability the weight of the quality of the image and the capture capabilities all measured again and again. I ordered my first Digital yesterday.

I found that Canon has put out a Light fully operational 8.0 mega pix camera called the Canon digital Rebel XT it is in the EOS line. I will receive it next week. Since it uses the Same lens I already own and the same speed light will work with it, I will be shooting soon. I look forward to posting here and entering the minimizing assignment on the site. I found this site while researching this buy.

I have already learned allot here. I look forward to learning much more.

:):

Comments

• Options
    BridgeCityBridgeCity Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2005
    oooo one of our first XT owners. I am very curious what you think of this camera. I have been playing with the XT vs. 20D in my head as a progression from the 300D. Can't wait to hear what you think of the XT!
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2005
    Update.

I ordered the Camera from B& H photo In NY. Thus far I am Unimpressed. It was to SHIP Friday and they Blew it. They could not "Confirm" the US ARMY address that I wanted it delevered to. They could not take a minute and call me on one of the Three phone numbers that were Listed in the Order. No they sent a email to the Non Work address and took the rest of the day off they do not return to work until Sunday morning. If this is the best they can do I am amazed they are still in Business.

The Address that was being shipped to is listed as a delivery address on the Credit Card I used to placed the order . I have never seen a Monkey Jerk operation like this.

I provide them Proof of the Address we will see if that corrects this. eek7.gif
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2005
    I'm sorry to hear that. There's nothing worse than paying and waiting on something and not getting it.

I had a very good experience with B&H. I ordered two lenses from them and they were shipped and arrived very quickly from the time the order was placed.
  • Options
    david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2005
    I've had very good success with B&H as well. They even got a shipment out for me the day they had a fire at their warehouse.
    I have heard that they tend to delay shipments in cases where the "ship to" is not the same as the "bill to". Seems they like to ensure everything is 100% OK before they go ahead.
    You are correct about them charging you in advance. When you order on-line you're told your card will be charged right away.
    And, yes, they are closed Saturday like 99% of the camera stores in NYC. For some reason they are nearly all Jewish owned companies. Many times I've been in the city on a Saturday and wished I could go browse.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2005
    graflex, good to have you here. Are your lenses the old FD glass, or the new EF stuff?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited March 11, 2005
    david_h wrote:
    I've had very good success with B&H as well. They even got a shipment out for me the day they had a fire at their warehouse.

And, yes, they are closed Saturday like 99% of the camera stores in NYC. For some reason they are nearly all Jewish owned companies. Many times I've been in the city on a Saturday and wished I could go browse.

B&H and Adorama are both closed late Friday afternoon and all day Saturday - It is their day of worship. I believe that Adorama is open Sunday though. Not sure about B&H, but both are quality merchants.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2005
    I will see what the do Sunday when they open and recieve the Email I sent them till them the Judges are out. I respect there time Off I wish when they had an Issue they would have contacted me. That is all.

As to the Lens question what is the difference? I will look.

rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    Nee7x7Nee7x7 Registered Users Posts: 459 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2005
    Hi Tom!
    graflexTom wrote:
    I will see what the do Sunday when they open and recieve the Email I sent them till them the Judges are out. I respect there time Off I wish when they had an Issue they would have contacted me. That is all.

As to the Lens question what is the difference? I will look.

rolleyes1.gif
    I think the problem may be that the XT is not available just yet. It is not due out until the 20th, so it may be that someone at B&H didn't think to check that the camera was brand new and not available to ship yet. B&H was taking pre-orders on the camera. Good luck...it's on my very short list of a potential new dslr cam purchase.

Best Wishes,
    ~Nee
    http://nee.smugmug.com[/COLOR]
    http://www.pbase.com/rdavis

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that you tried~
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2005
    I thought that was the case too. so I called them. They said they were in stock. I called three of the big companies and they all said they now have them in Stock. Even Kit claims they will have them soon. I asked if I ordered today when they would ship to me they said the next day.
  • Options
    Nee7x7Nee7x7 Registered Users Posts: 459 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2005
    graflexTom wrote:
    I thought that was the case too. so I called them. They said they were in stock. I called three of the big companies and they all said they now have them in Stock. Even Kit claims they will have them soon. I asked if I ordered today when they would ship to me they said the next day.
    Amazon.com still says their availability date is March 20th. Makes me wonder just how honest those other sites are being in their eagerness to grab potential customer's dollars. At the Photoshop Expo just this past Wednesday (March 9th) I was told by a Canon rep there that the release date for the XT was still a little uncertain, but that it "might be out next week at the earliest", (which would make B&H's promised Friday ship date fairly impossible to meet). But the rep did say it definitely would be shipped to resellers within the next 2 weeks (which would put it closer to the expected release date of March 20th).

BTW, I was not allowed to record photos from the XT on my own CF card because the rep stated that the XT at the Canon booth was only a "prototype". People were allowed to shoot and record photos with all the other Canon cameras already in the marketplace.

Be careful about ending up with a gray market camera, because they may be the one's that are available now (if, in fact there really are any available now...). This certainly makes me question B&H's integrity a bit. Will they refund your money if they're not willing to ship to your Military address?

Best of Luck! Please let us know what happens and what your impressions of your new camera are once it arrives. I'm on the bubble considering this one myself...so your evaluation will be really helpful.

Cheers!
    ~Nee :)
    http://nee.smugmug.com[/COLOR]
    http://www.pbase.com/rdavis

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that you tried~
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2005
    After several Phone calls and Emails I got david at B&H Photo He talked to me a couple of minutes and I ask what address they have I read to them what it should be. He was like no one ask you to verify the information before? I said no but it was in the Emails. He said it would ship today. I got the confirmation an hour later in the email. It was shipped UPS second day. So we will see.

Checked the web it is on the palne here.
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2005
    Ok so the UPS guy placed the unit in My hands this morning around 930. I read the manual. Went to Best buy to grab some Compact flash and guess What they had just placed the same Camera on the Shelf yes for only 100 dolarrs more I could have bought it at best buy That is more than the two memery cards Cost. So Soon I willbe submitting stuff here too.

I can not wait. I did not know the limitations on the Program settings would not work if I wanted to shoot RAW. only the basic and single Program.

So lets see what I can come up with.
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2005
    I ordered mine too
    Hi there,
    I ordered my Rebel XT from B&H on the 15th. Got an email on the 16th saying it has shipped. I did not get the supper fast shipping, just the regular. That still costs $17. So I should have it in a few days. I'm very excited. A real SLR at last. I have a Canon AE1 program (film camera) and a couple of great lenses. So I have been very frustrated with a P&S type for a long time now. I'm glad I waited though. I have learned a lot about digital cameras in the meanwhile. Now I need to figure out what kind of lenses to buy for this camera. I got the kit lens for now. Costs practically nothing, so nothing to lose. Can't be much of a lens though. I want to get a good versatile zoom. I want macro too. I want to shoot birds. I want to shoot portraits with good bg blur. What do I need?
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2005
    Ok The camera I like so far. I will have to spend time in the outdoors to see if it is love or not. Thus far I have hacked my way throught the Controls and Like the way it thinks for the most part. In the set modes I have one complaint. I should be able to select RAW as an option there as the secondary Like I can select JPEG as a Back up in the Manual setting area.

This would not have been imposible to do.
    Since I prefer to shoot most of the Time in Raw. I will spend less time in the other modes.

The other thing is I don't like that some lens are not transferable when you have thousand dollar glass that stinks.

More to follow