Options

How can I drop www

domromerdomromer Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
edited April 10, 2008 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Went I first started browsing smugmug I saw an article that explained how to drop the www from your domain name. I can't seem to find it now, could someone point me in the right direction please.

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    It's all here:

http://www.smugmug.com/help/professional-accounts

Holler with any questions!
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2008
    Wow you guys are fast!!
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2008
    domromer wrote:
    Wow you guys are fast!!

I was reading the info on the link you gave me. I set up my domain through godaddy/smugmug does that mean It should already not need to have the www in front? I can type dustybootsphotography.com on my mac and it will go there. If I do it on my pc it won't find the website.

Your thoughts?
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2008
    domromer wrote:
    Your thoughts?
    Please follow the instructions, on the linked page I gave you - you gotta set up an A-record on Godaddy (easy peasy). Then dustybootsphotography.com will work.

wave.gif
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Please follow the instructions, on the linked page I gave you - you gotta set up an A-record on Godaddy (easy peasy). Then dustybootsphotography.com will work.

wave.gif
    OK I'm about to set up my acount so people can just type dustybootsphotography.com

I have a few questions.

I'm reading the wiki and the first steps it has you changing the c name alias, since I am just wanting to change an A name do I skip that step completely?

Next question. On the last step it has me going back to smug mug and entering in my custom host name.

On this step would I also just enter in dustybootsphotography.com and drop the www?
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2008
    domromer wrote:
    OK I'm about to set up my acount so people can just type dustybootsphotography.com

I have a few questions.

I'm reading the wiki and the first steps it has you changing the c name alias, since I am just wanting to change an A name do I skip that step completely?

Next question. On the last step it has me going back to smug mug and entering in my custom host name.

On this step would I also just enter in dustybootsphotography.com and drop the www?

1. set up CNAME Alias for www.dustybootsphotography.com to www.smugmug.com

2. set up A-record for dustybootsphotography.com to our IP Address.

3. put in your SmugMug Control Panel, domain field, www.dustybootsphotography.com

thumb.gif
  • Options
    purple6816purple6816 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited April 10, 2008
    A plug for my favorite DNS company is www.namenerd.com. They are inexpensive and responsive.

They also dont do what several companys do when you are searching for a name it all of of a sudden becomes unavailable and "for sale". You have to wait a week for it to release.

Name Nerd rocks and is less expensive then most.

I get nothing from them but, I use them for everything includeing my smugmug accounts.
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2008
    I think I got it. Is this How it should look?

Picture2-2.jpg
  • Options
    DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2008
    domromer wrote:
    I think I got it. Is this How it should look?
    Yup. That's right. Trick: change your "custom domain" in smugmug from www.yourdomain.com to yourdomain.com if you want to have the web address in the address bar without the www. :)

David
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2008
    Cool, thanks for ther tip. Once the changes take effect I'll do that.