Options

Check out the 20D Price!!!

thollawathollawa Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
edited March 21, 2005 in Cameras
Check out the price on this 20D. I'm going to call them just to see what they say!!!

http://www.infinitiphoto.com/viewitem.php?IndexID=5172
Canon 50D | 24-70 2.8L USM | 70-200 2.8L IS USM
ToodHollawayPhotography.com

Comments

• Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2005
    I haven't checked any reviews, but I'd be careful!

Have a look here for some good advice
  • Options
    3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2005
    no no
    There is a HUGE scam being played out of Brooklyn New York. Notice there are Many Many websites with those addresses.....

Make sure you check www.resellerratings.com first.

Then call them. If they answer and they are Asian... hang up!!!

I just ordered my 20D yesterday from PCNation.com. It was a WONDERFUL buying experience. No hastle, no pressure... quick and done.

kc7dji
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2005
    I definitely need to do more checking on this vendor.

I just called them twice. The first guy said they were out of stock on the Canon 20D and would not have them back in stock for two weeks.

Called back and spoke to someone else. He stated they had the Canon 20D in stock. The price he quoted was $799 USD with full US warranty....

Looks like it is too good to be true...I'll do some additional checking and see what I can find out. I'll let you know...

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2005
    thollawa wrote:
    Check out the price on this 20D. I'm going to call them just to see what they say!!!

I hope you read this thread, thollawa. This company seems to fit a bad profile. For example, beyond reslller ratings, how many legitimate certificates do you see on their site? None. Just secure transaction software certificates, which is something completely different. Me, I'd steer clear.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    I hope you read this thread, thollawa. This company seems to fit a bad profile. For example, beyond reslller ratings, how many legitimate certificates do you see on their site? None. Just secure transaction software certificates, which is something completely different. Me, I'd steer clear.
    Very true...CNET has not listing of them...And resellerratings.com has no reviews of them. Their address list Brooklyn as their home.

Some things are just too good to be true...

Sorry to waste everyones time...

-Todd
  • Options
    3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2005
    website
    Also notice if you find a New York firm that the Hours of operation list Saturday as being closed but they are open on Sunday. That's the SAME scam group.. they have many names.
  • Options
    JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2005
    kc7dji wrote:
    Also notice if you find a New York firm that the Hours of operation list Saturday as being closed but they are open on Sunday. That's the SAME scam group.. they have many names.
    eek7.gif Are you saying that every place like Adorama and B&H are scams?

James.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2005
    thollawa wrote:

you can view their store here

:puke
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2005
    What is it with Brooklyn?
    Why are there so many scammers in one borough?

Amazing link, Andy, BTW. Those storefronts are amazing.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2005
    After searching for a long time trying to get a cheap Canon i learnt that anything like this is a scam. I can smell this from here.

Be VERY carefull that you only gamble what you can afford to lose. No-one in biz leaves money on the table like this...
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2005
    You would think the NY BBB or some other organization would do something about these "businesses"???
  • Options
    graflexTomgraflexTom Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited March 21, 2005
    Might I suggest Pricescan.com to see where the market on a Camera is before you buy. It helps top look around.
  • Options
    david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2005
    kc7dji wrote:
    As it happens, nearly all the camera stores in NYC are Jewish owned companies and are closed Saturdays.

There certainly are a lot of these scam oriented business there though. I tend to stick to B&H and have never had a problem. Adorama and J&R are good as well. I'm sure the folks who live in the city could name a few more.

In general, if a deal seems too good to be true it certainly is.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2005
    okay LISTEN UP!
    I've done the research.

DO NOT BUY FROM:

Digital Liquidators

J&K Cameras

Broadway Photo

A&M Photo World

They are part of the Brooklyn Scammer group, and I'm sure there are more popping up as these become notoriously shady...

You can tell them by their VERY similar advertisements in various if not all photo magazines:

~ They all have different 800 numbers, but DON'T BE FOOLED! If you look closer, they all have the same local area code, and even the same three digits AFTER that, area code 718 and next three digits 338.

~ They all say "se habla espanol!" or a similar phrase, along with other very similar things like "Government and School PO's accepted" and "we specialize in overnight delivery!"

~ They all have a VERY similar "small print" blurb at the bottom that begins with "Policy:" and ends with some form of "enjoy your order!"

~ They all have absolutely wacko prices, for instance right now on http://www.digitalliquidators.com/ you can by a Nikon D70 for dirt cheap at $599.00, and yet for some reason their GENERIC 1 gig CF card runs a WHOPPING $599.99!!! (yes, a 1 gig CF card listed at ninety nine cents MORE than a D70 body. Time to close that browser window, my friend...)

The first sign that you need to BAIL OUT (or even lock your credit card) is that once you purchase from any of the Brooklyn Scammers, they'll email you an order confirmation but they'll say YOU MUST CALL THEM to "verify" the order. If you call, their slimeballs--I mean salespeople, will try to convince you that the "Kit" only comes with a 30 minute battery, and would you like the re-chargeable long life battery? Everybody knows that manufacturers LIST what comes "in the box" with their cameras, for example the Nikon D70 is shipped to ALL LEGITIMATE RETAILERS with a battery, charger, strap, etc etc.

People report that if they refuse to buy anything extra, and they just want, for example, their Fuji S3pro for $1200, (WOW!) ...the sales rep quickly informs them that it's on backorder and they'll put you on the list, then they hang up, never to contact you again of course.

I was almost duped by one of these companies; luckily I needed the camera ASAP, so when their "2-3 day express delivery" hadn't even been processed yet after three days, I (with much force) canceled the order by phone. A day later they then attempted to charge my credit card.

I think I still have the gray hairs...

Thank you all for your time. I'd try harder to blow the horn about these guys, cause I'm sure there are tons of poor people out there getting reamed, but I always feel as if I'm coming off like a total jerk when I post a post this dramatic and negative.

Safe to say that your "infinity photo" might be one of these scammers?
    -matt-
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2005
    To back up Matthew's feelings here are their ratings under their old name

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller2684.html
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2005
    I've done the research.

DO NOT BUY FROM:

Digital Liquidators

J&K Cameras

Broadway Photo

A&M Photo World

They are part of the Brooklyn Scammer group, and I'm sure there are more popping up as these become notoriously shady...

You can tell them by their VERY similar advertisements in various if not all photo magazines:

~ They all have different 800 numbers, but DON'T BE FOOLED! If you look closer, they all have the same local area code, and even the same three digits AFTER that, area code 718 and next three digits 338.

~ They all say "se habla espanol!" or a similar phrase, along with other very similar things like "Government and School PO's accepted" and "we specialize in overnight delivery!"

~ They all have a VERY similar "small print" blurb at the bottom that begins with "Policy:" and ends with some form of "enjoy your order!"

~ They all have absolutely wacko prices, for instance right now on http://www.digitalliquidators.com/ you can by a Nikon D70 for dirt cheap at $599.00, and yet for some reason their GENERIC 1 gig CF card runs a WHOPPING $599.99!!! (yes, a 1 gig CF card listed at ninety nine cents MORE than a D70 body. Time to close that browser window, my friend...)

The first sign that you need to BAIL OUT (or even lock your credit card) is that once you purchase from any of the Brooklyn Scammers, they'll email you an order confirmation but they'll say YOU MUST CALL THEM to "verify" the order. If you call, their slimeballs--I mean salespeople, will try to convince you that the "Kit" only comes with a 30 minute battery, and would you like the re-chargeable long life battery? Everybody knows that manufacturers LIST what comes "in the box" with their cameras, for example the Nikon D70 is shipped to ALL LEGITIMATE RETAILERS with a battery, charger, strap, etc etc.

People report that if they refuse to buy anything extra, and they just want, for example, their Fuji S3pro for $1200, (WOW!) ...the sales rep quickly informs them that it's on backorder and they'll put you on the list, then they hang up, never to contact you again of course.

I was almost duped by one of these companies; luckily I needed the camera ASAP, so when their "2-3 day express delivery" hadn't even been processed yet after three days, I (with much force) canceled the order by phone. A day later they then attempted to charge my credit card.

I think I still have the gray hairs...

Thank you all for your time. I'd try harder to blow the horn about these guys, cause I'm sure there are tons of poor people out there getting reamed, but I always feel as if I'm coming off like a total jerk when I post a post this dramatic and negative.

Safe to say that your "infinity photo" might be one of these scammers?
    -matt-
    Great post, matt. That should be added to the "where to buy" thread.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson