Options

Trip to Berlin

JeroenJeroen Registered Users Posts: 447 Major grins
edited April 11, 2008 in Journeys
Berlin is big. Very big. We had a great time since it is also a very interesting city with a lot to see and we were in good company with just the two of us :D Berlin is most certainly a place to come back to.

Thursday morning we left from Amsterdam CS and after a 6 hours train journey we arrived in Berlin.

1. The view from the hotel.

IMG_7450.jpg

Friday.

2. We wanted to take the subway to the Reichstag, but a very friendly old man adviced us to take the bus. I still am very thankfull to that man, we used the bus for almost all our transport during our visit.

Here is the Subway station we didn't take.

IMG_7454.jpg

3. The 45 minutes queue for the Reichstag. We were searched by some very unpolite German ex-Stasi's who refused to speak English to the tourists. Glad we also speak German. They became even more unfriendly when they found a knife in my wife's purse... Every woman should have her protection? Right? And something to butter a sandwich with? Right?

IMG_7460.jpg

4. My love on top of the Reichstag. Now that I have seen this building, I refuse to believe that Marinus van der Lubbe set this chunck of bricks on fire just on his own. It is just too big for that.

IMG_7471.jpg

5. The dome was closed for cleaning.

IMG_7472.jpg

6. Some German lady with her strange dog.

IMG_7487.jpg

7. Wurst. That means sausage.

IMG_7490.jpg

8. Brandenburger Tor.

IMG_7494.jpg

9. A place to stop for a while and to think of what to do next. (Shoppiiing!!!)

IMG_7497.jpg

10. Berlinian pedestrian crossing light activation button. Good word for scrabble.

IMG_7514.jpg

11. The Berlin Dom. On the left are the remains of the Palace of the Republic.
It feels like the Berlinians are ashamed of their DDR history. I believe they'll regret demolishing this in a couple of years. But you'll probably have to be German to fully understand.

IMG_7517.jpg

12. The DDR museum.

IMG_7534.jpg

Saturday.

13. The Gedächtniskirche.

IMG_7561.jpg

14. And by then we had seen enough people. So this is my lovely wife in the Botanical Gardens. Although the main dome was closed, they are very much worth visiting.

IMG_7607.jpg

15. Space Ship Earth.

IMG_7603.jpg

Sunday.

Our train left early afternoon so we had a whole morning to visit the Berlin Zoo.

16. Some monkees.

IMG_7629.jpg

17. A very depressed looking panda bear. They also have a very famous polar bear that looked even less impressive so I didn't shoot a picture of it.

IMG_7638.jpg

18. Roar... The zoo looked a bit old fashioned. And the animals rather bored.

IMG_7645.jpg

19. 45 minutes early for our train to leave. We sat 1st class back to Amsterdam. I'll do that again next time. More leg space and you won't have to get up to get a beer since they will bring it to you :D

IMG_7698.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Andrew GouldAndrew Gould Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    A really good selection from your trip, giving a taste of the place to viewers. The care which you take in selecting, framing and processing your shots is quite evident.
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    I'd love to get back there for photographs all mine are from the '70's when I was there in the service. The Botanical Gardens was a favorite and well as around K'u Dam and the Zoo Bahn Hof.

I was stationed in the ol SS quarters in Lichtefelde. MAny fond memories of most of (West) Berlin.
    I really like you series of photos, both the old and the new.
    Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    I like # 8, 13. There looks to be alot of interesting buildings and places to photograph.

~Eia~