Options

A Warning: Firefox + Vista = You Will Never See Your Videos

Brett MickelsonBrett Mickelson Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
edited April 11, 2008 in Video
There is, from what I can tell, an unfixable error with Firefox, Quicktime and Windows Vista. Firefox has always had issues with QuickTime, but they have been remedied by changing some of the MIME Settings for QuickTime. In Vista, the menu no longer exists (just sends you to a filetype association screen). I've done a lot of looking around and people have the same problem, but nothing seems to resolve it.

Just a heads up.

Comments

• Options
    GwagDesignsGwagDesigns Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2008
    strange, i can see quicktime videos on smugmug just fine, but other websites i get the error you are talking about
    [7D] - [30D] - [GF1] - 70-200f4L | Sigma 10-20 | Sigma 105 | Sigma 18-50
    www.GwagDesigns.com | Twitter | Facebook | Flickr

• Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    It works fine for me.ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    DI-JoeDI-Joe Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    There is, from what I can tell, an unfixable error with Firefox, Quicktime and Windows Vista. Firefox has always had issues with QuickTime, but they have been remedied by changing some of the MIME Settings for QuickTime. In Vista, the menu no longer exists (just sends you to a filetype association screen). I've done a lot of looking around and people have the same problem, but nothing seems to resolve it.

Just a heads up.

That's because it's not in firefox anymore. it's handled by Vista itself. Check out Control Panel> Default Programs.

It now handles protocols as well as filetypes at the system level.

I'm running Vista Ultimate x64 with Firefox 3b5. All quicktime plays fine for me.
    Modus Imagery
    Moving away from photography and into cinema. PM me if you have questions about DSLR workflow or production questions.
    Film Reel: http://vimeo.com/19955876