File Size Too Large

oldmanoldman Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
edited May 21, 2004 in SmugMug Support
I tried uploading a jpg file, 1.03 mb but get message that file was too large. Any suggestions on how to fix this?
Thanks

Comments

• fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2004
    oldman wrote:
    I tried uploading a jpg file, 1.03 mb but get message that file was too large. Any suggestions on how to fix this?
    Thanks
    Hi oldman!

Here's a helpful file from smugmug. If you want to attach a file, it can't be any larger than 117kb (or so). If you upload to a photo hosting site and direct-link the image into your post, there's no size limit (except practical).

Good luck!

fish
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • oldmanoldman Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited March 31, 2004
    Got It!
    OK, finally got it right with Photoshop.
    1. Load image into Photoshop
    2. Image -> Image Size
    3. Set to 400 Pixels wide, 300 high
    4. File -> SaveAs -> name it -> quality to 2

Filesize is now 68kb
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2004
    oldman wrote:
    OK, finally got it right with Photoshop.
    1. Load image into Photoshop
    2. Image -> Image Size
    3. Set to 400 Pixels wide, 300 high
    4. File -> SaveAs -> name it -> quality to 2

Filesize is now 68kb
    Hi oldman,
    If you have photoshop you should also be able to "save for the web" in which case you can resize your optimized picture, see your original and also see the file size change as you take the quality of the picture up or down. At the end of your resizing given the option to save as "gif" or "jpg" use jpg. Then you can see what you are ending up with, make your picture as large or as small as you want and see the result that eveyone else will see (or mostly).
    Hope thats helpful and not confusing.:D
    Lynn
  • oldmanoldman Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited March 31, 2004
    Thanks, I also found a "optimize for file size" which let's you choose the file size. Didn't work though but probably cockpit error.
  • snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2004
    How do I direct-link to smugmug?
    Hey guys -
    I just uploaded some pics the hard way. My pictures are so small that I can't see the detail. In photoshop is says they are some 328K or so and they upload as 98K. By trial and error I've been making the file sizes a little bit bigger and bigger, but I see lots of much bigger pics in other peoples posts. I need to find out how to direct-link to my smugmug account. There's no size limit, you say? And how do I link to several pics in one post like I see on the site. I think I actually read something about direct-linking, but I can't find it now. Please, Baldy, we need more info in the help section. I've been searching all over.
    Thanks,
    Susan
    bowdown.gif
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    Hey guys -
    I just uploaded some pics the hard way. My pictures are so small that I can't see the detail. In photoshop is says they are some 328K or so and they upload as 98K. By trial and error I've been making the file sizes a little bit bigger and bigger, but I see lots of much bigger pics in other peoples posts. I need to find out how to direct-link to my smugmug account. There's no size limit, you say? And how do I link to several pics in one post like I see on the site. I think I actually read something about direct-linking, but I can't find it now. Please, Baldy, we need more info in the help section. I've been searching all over.
    Thanks,
    Susan
    bowdown.gif

Ahem. That would be one of the stickies at the top of this forum :D

Click here to learn how to post endless lovely photos in one massively long post.

Nigritude Ultramarine
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au