Options

Enough of the H.S. kids -- check out some real seniors!

1pocket1pocket Registered Users Posts: 298 Major grins
edited April 15, 2008 in People
Actually I definitely admire the fine work of our "senior photographers" in here, but this is a different sort of senior of course! I spent an afternoon at a local retirement/nursing home/assisted living facility, where my parents now live. (They missed the shoot because they had to attend a memorial service for an old friend -- pretty common in this circle of course.)

As for technique, it was pretty basic. I brought a softbox and a little kicker light (plus a gold reflector) for the basic flash set-up, and also hung a paper drop next to a large sliding glass door for a second set-up with natural light. In retrospect, I failed to separate several black outfits from the dark gray background. Another self-critique is that I failed to notice the reflector reflection in their glasses -- I was pretty careful about the mainlight reflecting in the glasses, but underestimated the reflector's presence -- oops.

I've been visiting my folks a lot lately, since my mother recently had hip surgery and they both need more and more attention. The biggest surprise for me has been how much I have enjoyed meeting all these other older folks over there. Really interesting people, that have great life stories, many of whom are still very, very active. I have met at least two retired photographers, and a third whose husband was (all former Leica owners).

Anyway, here is a sampling from the shoot.

There is a set of about 20 in a highlight gallery here:
Havenwood Selections

And of course more in the individual galleries if you really want to delve in. Please do if you have the energy, and I definitely welcome comments and criticism.

276332482_aooJS-M.jpg

278770522_JvaBF-L.jpg

278330350_ekzD6-L.jpg

277048237_yvtgZ-L.jpg

277768047_zwZVL-L.jpg

277070172_aaQuD-L.jpg

If you got this far, I guess I don't need to apologize for the bandwith of this post...
My humble gallery...
www.steveboothphotography.com

Pool/Billiards specific...
www.poolinaction.com

Comments

• Options
    ~Jan~~Jan~ Registered Users Posts: 966 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2008
    What a neat idea! Love it! The third one is great.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2008
    Really nice. #5 is awesome.
    #3 needs better light next time.
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Really nice. #5 is awesome.
    #3 needs better light next time.
    To separate her black outfit from the backdrop? or do you mean on the subject herself? The truth is, I do tend to underexpose slightly due to paranoia about blow-outs...
    My humble gallery...

www.poolinaction.com
  • Options
    ~Jan~~Jan~ Registered Users Posts: 966 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2008
    1pocket wrote:
    To separate her black outfit from the backdrop? or do you mean on the subject herself? The truth is, I do tend to underexpose slightly due to paranoia about blow-outs...

Maybe he means the yellowish light coming from the left? Was that a regular lamp?
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2008
    ~Jan~ wrote:
    Maybe he means the yellowish light coming from the left? Was that a regular lamp?
    A gold reflector. In retrospect I felt like the gold was too much, and tried to tone it down a bit in PP. I had all the room lights off, and did a manual white balance preset at the start -- for the flash set up.
    My humble gallery...

www.poolinaction.com
  • Options
    JimWJimW Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2008
    Steve,

Fantastic. I applaud this project, the concept is great. Often the most important and most difficult part of portraiture is to get people to open up and make an effort, to give something to the photographer. It's not easy, and you’ve done that beautifully, I think. These people are really into this, it seems. The expressions you got are wonderful, invite repeated viewing and make me want to know more.

Here are my technical suggestions, but they pale next to the success:

Color or b&w for the whole project, one or the other.
    More light in the eyes.
    More consistent camera angles. (In #2, IMO that great face is the main event, the sweater is the delightful side event, camera angle suggests the opposite.)
    Dark, dramatic background doesn’t seem to go with these characters. I prefer the middle gray paper drop, which would be an equalizer and allow them to provide the story without distraction.
    The reflector reflections are no problem at all.
    Kicker light from behind is providing some distracting hilites around the head.
    There are some hard edged clumpy looking shadows on the side of some of the heads.
    Composition in #2 and #4 in the gallery seem odd.

Hope you continue this great project. Congrats.

Jim

I don't want the cheese, I just want to get out of the trap.

http://www.jimwhitakerphotography.com/
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2008
    JimW wrote:
    Steve,

Fantastic. I applaud this project, the concept is great. Often the most important and most difficult part of portraiture is to get people to open up and make an effort, to give something to the photographer. It's not easy, and you’ve done that beautifully, I think. These people are really into this, it seems. The expressions you got are wonderful, invite repeated viewing and make me want to know more.

Here are my technical suggestions, but they pale next to the success:

Color or b&w for the whole project, one or the other.
    More light in the eyes.
    More consistent camera angles. (In #2, IMO that great face is the main event, the sweater is the delightful side event, camera angle suggests the opposite.)
    Dark, dramatic background doesn’t seem to go with these characters. I prefer the middle gray paper drop, which would be an equalizer and allow them to provide the story without distraction.
    The reflector reflections are no problem at all.
    Kicker light from behind is providing some distracting hilites around the head.
    There are some hard edged clumpy looking shadows on the side of some of the heads.
    Composition in #2 and #4 in the gallery seem odd.

Hope you continue this great project. Congrats.

Jim
    Well this is great advice, thank you, thank you!

These were done kind of as a combination public service, and effort to gain some experience. But I do have a "senior project" that will be coming up next winter in the photography certificate program I am enrolled in, and this experiment has given me the idea that something along these lines could become more of a project for that -- if my advisor likes the idea. Your suggestions about a consistent look definitely fit that.

In any case, I think DGrin will be seeing more, because I did have a great time...
    My humble gallery...

www.poolinaction.com
  • Options
    ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2008
    I think they are all great - and I bet the featured subjects think they are out of this world!

#3 is my favorite - maybe not technically - but what a pose. Its just super - and my guess is that no one but us goofy technitians would have any complaints. I'll bet she loves it!

I applaud you for doing this and think the photos are excellent!

Z

It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2008
    Thank you. She is 94... and one of the retired photographers.
    Zanotti wrote:
    I think they are all great - and I bet the featured subjects think they are out of this world!

#3 is my favorite - maybe not technically - but what a pose. Its just super - and my guess is that no one but us goofy technitians would have any complaints. I'll bet she loves it!

I applaud you for doing this and think the photos are excellent!

Z

My humble gallery...

www.poolinaction.com
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2008
    Bravo! Really nice set and the gallery is awesome viewed as a slideshow. I agree with JimW that they all look like they are "really into this." You captured some great expressions, they really opened up to you. When I look at these faces, I just know there are some interesting stories to be told! thumb.gif
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2008
    Gret project
    I think this is an awesome series. We tend to neglect that population but really, what a wonderful use of our skills as photographers! There is some real inspiration here regardless of a technical faux paux or two but that is how we learn is by making small adjustments after we start trying.

I really like this project and it gave me an idea to propose at a senior living facility that my husband and I regularly donate some support...I never thought of supporting it with photography. I am going to see if I can go there on Mother's Day.
    saurora wrote:
    Bravo! Really nice set and the gallery is awesome viewed as a slideshow. I agree with JimW that they all look like they are "really into this." You captured some great expressions, they really opened up to you. When I look at these faces, I just know there are some interesting stories to be told! thumb.gif
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2008
    #3 is my fave. Very nice set.
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2008
    saurora wrote:
    Thank you. And, yes, even just going through the shoot we were hearing little teasing bits of stories: a college prof that was involved in bringing SUNY into NYC (over the objections of CUNY); a Radcliffe grad; a woman who had planned to be a nun -- until she realized she liked men too much; a former Governor's Councilor; as well as the retired photographer I mentioned earlier. And that is just the tip of the iceburg!
    My humble gallery...

www.poolinaction.com