Options

Found: Sigma 70-200mm 2.8

PBS_KidsPBS_Kids Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
edited April 17, 2008 in House of Canon
As the title says, I'm looking to buy a good copy of this lens at a decent price.

I'm new here, but have feedback at POTN under the S/N LucyRoberts.

Comments

• Options
    Beau ArnoldBeau Arnold Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited April 12, 2008
    I have one a non dg but it's not going to be cheap. It is dead on sharp at 70 and 200 wide open. I had not even thought about selling it but I just picked up a 120-300 so the shorty has been in the Domke bag. PM me for more details.
  • Options
    kbbrunerkbbruner Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited April 13, 2008
    PBS_Kids wrote:
    As the title says, I'm looking to buy a good copy of this lens at a decent price.

I'm new here, but have feedback at POTN under the S/N LucyRoberts.

I have one for sale.

Sigma 70-200MM F/2.8 EX DG Macro APO HSM - $700

This is a great lens that we used for the entire first season of wedding photography and my husband used it in our second season when I upgraded to the Canon 70-200mm IS. Great lens, nice and sharp! Comes with lens hood and the original box!
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2008
    OK, I'm getting confused. Are there 2 different versions of this lens? I've been seeing this lens going for %50 to $625, now this is the second $700 tag I've been offered.

I'm not questioning you, I'm just questioning my own knowledge. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2008
    PBS_Kids wrote:
    OK, I'm getting confused. Are there 2 different versions of this lens? I've been seeing this lens going for %50 to $625, now this is the second $700 tag I've been offered.

I'm not questioning you, I'm just questioning my own knowledge. ne_nau.gif

There is a non-macro version, though I'm fairly certain they don't make that one anymore. I own the non-macro version of this lens, but can't sell it to you since the only reason I'd sell it is if I was buying the canon with is version... and will need lots more money before that's a possibility! :) good luck getting your hands on one, they're great lenses
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2008
    Thanks for clearing that up for me! Then I guess I am looking for the
    cheaper version! :D
  • Options
    NateWagnerNateWagner Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2008
    I'm pretty sure there are actually 3 different versions. 1 is the DG macro, one is DG (without the macro) and one is no dg no macro. That last one will be the cheapest and should be around 500 (at least that's what I've been seeing it go for on ebay). the one with the DG no macro is more towards the 600 range, and the DG Macro is closer to the 700 range.
    Thanks,
    -Nate

Equipment
    Canon Stuff (and third party stuff as well)
    Tampa Bay Wedding Photography
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2008
    NateWagner wrote:
    I'm pretty sure there are actually 3 different versions. 1 is the DG macro, one is DG (without the macro) and one is no dg no macro. That last one will be the cheapest and should be around 500 (at least that's what I've been seeing it go for on ebay). the one with the DG no macro is more towards the 600 range, and the DG Macro is closer to the 700 range.

Laughing.gif! OK, I suppose I am looking for the mid-range then. :)
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2008
    NateWagner wrote:

The NON DG version is usually noted as the 70-200 (sometimes 210) APO F2.8.....The oldest version being the 70-210 will still bring around $500 if in good condition....mine a Minolta mount gets serviced regularly to make sure there is no dirt inside to gall the focusing componets and to make sure it stays properly lubricated since I do use it in very adverse weather conditions {Ks wind, rain and windy rain and windy snow}....it is also a non macro lens but still very sharp at both ends of its spectrum.........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Michel SourisMichel Souris Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited April 14, 2008
    There are actually 4 versions of the lens now . . . the pre-DG, the DG, and 2 newer macro versions. The newest macro was probably introduced because of complaints that the first macro version was not as sharp as the earlier versions, non DG and DG.

Art Scott wrote:
    The NON DG version is usually noted as the 70-200 (sometimes 210) APO F2.8.....The oldest version being the 70-210 will still bring around $500 if in good condition....mine a Minolta mount gets serviced regularly to make sure there is no dirt inside to gall the focusing componets and to make sure it stays properly lubricated since I do use it in very adverse weather conditions {Ks wind, rain and windy rain and windy snow}....it is also a non macro lens but still very sharp at both ends of its spectrum.........
    Canon 50D, Box Brownie, Canon 17-85mm IS, Canon 70-200mm F2.8L, Sigma 10-20mm F4, Canon 50mm F1.4, Canon 50mm F1.8 Mk I, Canon 430EX II
  • Options
    thejohnremusthejohnremus Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited April 14, 2008
    holy crap... I didn't realize there were so many versions of this lense now. I've had mine for a couple years and LOVE it. Although I'm ready to finally upgrade to a Canon... I've upgraded everything else, including going to the Mark III... but have hung onto this for a while... it's close to that time though
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2008
    holy crap... I didn't realize there were so many versions of this lense now. I've had mine for a couple years and LOVE it. Although I'm ready to finally upgrade to a Canon... I've upgraded everything else, including going to the Mark III... but have hung onto this for a while... it's close to that time though

Is it time yet? :D
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2008
    I bought my non dg version 3 years back and I would not sell it for less than 700 period. It's razr sharp heres a jpeg at 200 2.8 handheld straight out of the body btw
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2008
    I just ended up getting the new version from B&H.

Thanks for all the info everyone!
  • Options
    PineapplePhotoPineapplePhoto Registered Users Posts: 474 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2008
    Have you looked at the NEW Tamron 70-200 f2.8? mwink.gifhttp://www.dpreview.com/news/0802/08020701tamron70200.asp

It looks promising and it is cheaper than Sigma's... we just ordered 5 at work :D
    Body: Canon 1D Mark II N | Canon 30D w/BG-E2 Flash: Canon 580EX II | Quantum T4d | Strobes & Monolights
    Glass: Sigma 70-200 f2.8 | Sigma 20 f1.8 | Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM
  • Options
    NateWagnerNateWagner Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2008
    of course there is always the problem that the Tamron has not actually been released yet, at least in the US.
    Thanks,
    -Nate

Equipment
    Canon Stuff (and third party stuff as well)
    Tampa Bay Wedding Photography
  • Options
    PineapplePhotoPineapplePhoto Registered Users Posts: 474 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2008
    NateWagner wrote:
    of course there is always the problem that the Tamron has not actually been released yet, at least in the US.

You can still get your hands on it. Like I said we just ordered five. :D
    Body: Canon 1D Mark II N | Canon 30D w/BG-E2 Flash: Canon 580EX II | Quantum T4d | Strobes & Monolights
    Glass: Sigma 70-200 f2.8 | Sigma 20 f1.8 | Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM
  • Options
    keith204keith204 Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited April 17, 2008
    Have you looked at the NEW Tamron 70-200 f2.8? mwink.gifhttp://www.dpreview.com/news/0802/08020701tamron70200.asp

It looks promising and it is cheaper than Sigma's... we just ordered 5 at work :D

Slow AF, that's gonna be the downfall of this lens.
    Keith Kelly - Bolivar, MO

Canon 40D, Canon 20D
    Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM
    Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM
    Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM
    Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 HSM
    Lensbaby 2.0

http://www.w3Bolivar.com
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2008
    keith204 wrote:
    Slow AF, that's gonna be the downfall of this lens.

Might be ok on a tripod in the studio but if the af can not keep up with the body for sports then noway. I have shot the white lens even the famed Nikon and my non dg on a 1d keeps up. The Nikon on the new D3 was not any quicker but wow that shutter on the D3 is loud. Sorry to get off topic just comparing.
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2008
    Well, my lens came in this morning. The weather is icky, so I was barely able to get a few test shots outside. With what I've seen so far, I'm totally impressed. Tack sharp and spot on. I'll put it through the paces on Saturday and see if I'm still happy.

I've tried a Tamron or 2 and was not happy with the colors and contrast at all. Could have just been my copies, but not something I felt like gambling with.