Options

Photoshop PDF

shinyobjectshinyobject Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited April 14, 2008 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I have recently joined Smugmug and I was thinking about putting together some posters to sell. I printed a sample through the printing partner Smugmug uses (I forget who off the top of my head) and it came out ok, but the text wasn't as sharp as I'd like. I expected that. It's not horrible, but the print of my Epson R2400 is certainly crisper.

Recently I learned about Photoshop PDFs and immediately their application to posters came to mind. A Photoshop PDF retains the vector info so text and other vector objects print out as crisp as possible, but the file is still a regular PDF and viewable in Acrobat Reader. So, I was wondering, do you think Smugmug will ever support this format? Seems like a natural fit. I see Smugmug as the high-end gallery/printing site and it seems like a lot of members would like this functionality.

Thanks.

Pete

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2006
    I have recently joined Smugmug and I was thinking about putting together some posters to sell. I printed a sample through the printing partner Smugmug uses (I forget who off the top of my head) and it came out ok, but the text wasn't as sharp as I'd like. I expected that. It's not horrible, but the print of my Epson R2400 is certainly crisper.

Recently I learned about Photoshop PDFs and immediately their application to posters came to mind. A Photoshop PDF retains the vector info so text and other vector objects print out as crisp as possible, but the file is still a regular PDF and viewable in Acrobat Reader. So, I was wondering, do you think Smugmug will ever support this format? Seems like a natural fit. I see Smugmug as the high-end gallery/printing site and it seems like a lot of members would like this functionality.

Thanks.

Pete
    Hi Shiny,

We'd love to, but there are no plans as of now. There are plenty of tricks you can apply in Photoshop to get the text to print better, and we can help. Make a post in Finishing School and be sure to post an example image and links. We'll be happy to help!
  • Options
    shinyobjectshinyobject Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited August 31, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Shiny,

We'd love to, but there are no plans as of now. There are plenty of tricks you can apply in Photoshop to get the text to print better, and we can help. Make a post in Finishing School and be sure to post an example image and links. We'll be happy to help!

Thanks for the lightning fast response, Andy! I'm pretty good with Photoshop, but once I get something together I'll post an example and see if anyone has any suggestions. It was just something I came across and it sounded like a perfect fit for SmugMug, and something that could be a competitive advantage without a whole lot of work.

Thanks again!

Pete
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2008
    Hello, wondering if you support printing registered pdf's at all yet?
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2008
    evoryware wrote:
    Hello, wondering if you support printing registered pdf's at all yet?
    JPGs only, sorry :(