Options

Practice, practice, practice

joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
edited April 15, 2008 in People
I was working on some shots out on the golf course with my daughter today. CC wecome.

279784985_fPLJc-M.jpg

279785166_F5FtR-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2008
    Josh, good for you getting out practicing! The first is not a great pose as the composition is flat with uninteresting lines and form. The light shadows on her face don't help matters but had this been taken from a different angle it may have worked.

The second needs a better composition as she is dead center frame. Using a reflective source on camera right would lessen the shadows a tad. Those laying down shots actually can look really cool if you get a bit closer and zoom in little. I've found laying down shots are tricky at best and takes many angles and focal lengths to get one that really stands out.

Looks like she's having fun and obviously you are too! Keep shooting..whoohoo.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:
    The second needs a better composition as she is dead center frame. Using a reflective source on camera right would lessen the shadows a tad. Those laying down shots actually can look really cool if you get a bit closer and zoom in little. I've found laying down shots are tricky at best and takes many angles and focal lengths to get one that really stands out.

Looks like she's having fun and obviously you are too! Keep shooting..whoohoo.

I just got a reflector. i will give that a shot next time out. Thanks for the comments. it helps. I am learning.
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    As a reflector hater (only because I'm lazy - they do amazing jobs!), I'd say work on placing her properly and you'll be ahead of the game....

Try to think of any light source and place your subject so that 2/3 of their face is lit by it. Not half, not 1/3, but 2/3 or slightly more. You'll get much more flattering shadows. It's sometimes hard with a really bright like (like the sun!) because it can blind people, but play around with lighting them and you should have good results.

One way that I like to check my light to see how it looks (after the shots are done) is to convert to B&W. Even a quickie job gives you a better idea of the shadows since you're not looking at color as much. I think if you convert these to B&W, you'll see how distracting the shadows can be.....

In the first shot, if she'd stayed there and you moved to your left and she followed with her face, you'd see her whole face light up - and sparkles would show up in her eyes. You'd have had a really fun, fresh shot. So close! And a CUTE shot so definitely try again!

For the second shot, once again, I'd have moved to the left, but I'd have had her positioned the same way - she'd need to rotate if you wanted that pose. (I love it!) Get down *really* low - so you're shooting STRAIGHT at her face, in this case, and you'll get a more flattering angle. Personally, I love shots like this with a longer lens maybe 150-200mm. Or, if you're using something shorter, I'd use a larger aperture (maybe f/2.8) so that things behind her get a little softer and less distracting.

Cropping is the easy part. Definitely remember the rule of thirds...

You have a VERY cute subject and you are *really* close to having some great shots! Can't wait to see what else you come up with!
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2008
    As a reflector hater (only because I'm lazy - they do amazing jobs!), I'd say work on placing her properly and you'll be ahead of the game....

Try to think of any light source and place your subject so that 2/3 of their face is lit by it. Not half, not 1/3, but 2/3 or slightly more. You'll get much more flattering shadows. It's sometimes hard with a really bright like (like the sun!) because it can blind people, but play around with lighting them and you should have good results.

One way that I like to check my light to see how it looks (after the shots are done) is to convert to B&W. Even a quickie job gives you a better idea of the shadows since you're not looking at color as much. I think if you convert these to B&W, you'll see how distracting the shadows can be.....

In the first shot, if she'd stayed there and you moved to your left and she followed with her face, you'd see her whole face light up - and sparkles would show up in her eyes. You'd have had a really fun, fresh shot. So close! And a CUTE shot so definitely try again!

For the second shot, once again, I'd have moved to the left, but I'd have had her positioned the same way - she'd need to rotate if you wanted that pose. (I love it!) Get down *really* low - so you're shooting STRAIGHT at her face, in this case, and you'll get a more flattering angle. Personally, I love shots like this with a longer lens maybe 150-200mm. Or, if you're using something shorter, I'd use a larger aperture (maybe f/2.8) so that things behind her get a little softer and less distracting.

Cropping is the easy part. Definitely remember the rule of thirds...

You have a VERY cute subject and you are *really* close to having some great shots! Can't wait to see what else you come up with!

Thanks for taking the time I will definitely remember the rule of 2/3 light. the subject is my daugher, who is a good sport to spend too much time getting her picture taken. the glass is a new 1.8 85mm BUT, on the first day out I just put the camera on P and let it do its thing. it was stopped down alot; I don't remeber on this shot, but I will definitely put it on about 2.8 next time.