Options

Help a noob win a rally

Ritalin BoyRitalin Boy Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited April 16, 2008 in Cameras
Greetings,

I am a participant on Adv Rider a site with much in common and I need your help if you have a moment.

I ride a motorcycle in endurance events which are scavenger hunts on steroids. Short ones last 24 hours and the grand daddy of them all is the Iron Butt Rally, a 11 day rally that covers almost 11,000 miles.

To document that we visited specific locations we have been using the venerable Polaroid instant camera, however Polaroid has announced they will no longer make instant film.

The rallies are starting to allow digital and they have some requirements.

One is that the camera must be able to put the date and time on the image both on the screen and in any print out of the image. Minimum resolution is 3mp.

I have a nice Cannon Powershot but like many of the new digitals I looked it only adds the timestamp when shooting in postcard mode which also drops the file size down to under the minimum required.

I would love to find a compact digital camera that meets the following:
removable memory up to 1gb
AA or AAA batteries (I know that could be tough)
Rugged or even water resistant
6 mp or better
and the dreaded time / date stamp

The kicker is I have my first rally of the season this weekend so something I can find in a Wally-World, Target or similar is desired. I don't want to spend any more on instant film.

If you can help me out I would really appreciate it. The clerks in the box stores are useless and manufacturer's websites aren't a whole lot better when trying to confirm the datestamp feature.

Thanks,

Rob Nye
Bristol, RI
USA

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited April 15, 2008
    Wow, that's a tall order.

It looks like the Nikon Coolpix P50 has that feature and the P5100 might have it (I am trying to find out for sure.)

If you can find a Ricoh Caplio R6 or Ricoh GX100 they also seem to have the date/time stamp.

A few other cameras have something similar, but probably not exactly to the standards you described.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited April 15, 2008
    According to the PDF here:

http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/noprint/P5100noprint.pdf

Page 126, the P5100 does have a "Date Imprint" feature.

Note that this camera uses proprietary batteries.

P50 manual here, page 190:

http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/noprint/P50noprint.pdf

The P50 does use AA batteries.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Ritalin BoyRitalin Boy Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited April 16, 2008
    Greetings,

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

I found what I hope will work out ok. It is a Samsung S85. 8mp, AA batteries, SD card and will imprint the time and date on the image.