Options

Windmill, Lethbridge. My first RAW

Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
edited March 23, 2005 in Landscapes
Hi
We were in Lethbridge 10 days ago for soccer provincials. Went to Head Smashed In PP between games Saturday, and drove the long way around back to town through the foothills. Lethbridge and area is an incredibly windy locale - only wind free 18% of the time, and most of the time has strong winds. So wind generated electricity is a natural for there.

This is the first ever conversion from RAW. I changed white balance, and EC. Then, on the resulting jpg, I played with curves, levels and saturation a bit.

How did I do?

I shot both RAW and jpg so here is the original jpg:

18031192-M-1.jpg

and here is the processed version:
18031195-M.jpg

ann

Comments

• Options
    Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2005
    Definitely the second one. the colors kinda pop and that attracts me more than the first one.Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
  • Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2005
    Wow the Raw one has a lot of punch! you sure made a grey dull day look good.

*note to self: self get a bigger cf card and start shooting raw

When I go to Lethbridge Alberta I usually say I am going to LA it just sounds cooler:):

Tim
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2005
    Shakey wrote:

When I go to Lethbridge Alberta I usually say I am going to LA it just sounds cooler:):

Tim
    You mean your not already ? Mate i swear your shots were raw.

Ann im about to start also...am really lost but will stumble into as i do everything.

I was even wondering if any of the more experienced RAW shooters would like to do a post with some basic info in it..ie ..maybe list 5 basic things that need doing to get the shots to jump. I know everyone is different but just maybe 5 basic things that a RAW shooter would generally do to a normally flat shot.

Bueller...bueller ???
  • Options
    windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2005
    that 2nd one really stands out!!! - RAW for now on!
    which RAW converter did you use?

troy
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Hi
    We were in Lethbridge 10 days ago for soccer provincials. Went to Head Smashed In PP between games Saturday, and drove the long way around back to town through the foothills. Lethbridge and area is an incredibly windy locale - only wind free 18% of the time, and most of the time has strong winds. So wind generated electricity is a natural for there.

This is the first ever conversion from RAW. I changed white balance, and EC. Then, on the resulting jpg, I played with curves, levels and saturation a bit.

How did I do?

I shot both RAW and jpg so here is the original jpg:

18031192-M-1.jpg

and here is the processed version:
    18031195-M.jpg

ann
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2005
    Hey Ann,

You done good there.thumb.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2005
    Eric&Susan wrote:
    Definitely the second one. the colors kinda pop and that attracts me more than the first one.Eric
    Thanks, Eric
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2005
    Shakey wrote:

Tim
    Hey Tim

Thanks! I am storage challenged too. Had to finish up a bunch of soccer pics to clear room for these! I have 2 x 1 gig cards and it would seem like there is room for about 70 RAW shots on a gig.

Up here, we refer to Leduc as LA! :D

ann
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Ann im about to start also...am really lost but will stumble into as i do everything.

I was even wondering if any of the more experienced RAW shooters would like to do a post with some basic info in it..ie ..maybe list 5 basic things that need doing to get the shots to jump. I know everyone is different but just maybe 5 basic things that a RAW shooter would generally do to a normally flat shot.

Bueller...bueller ???
    Hey, gus, thats a good idea. However, if my RAW converter is the norm, there are only 3 steps to deal with - sharpening, white balance, and EC. Then everything else takes place on the jpg. But it is soooo slick!

ann
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2005
    windoze wrote:
    that 2nd one really stands out!!! - RAW for now on!
    which RAW converter did you use?

troy
    Hi Troy
    Thanks!
    I use PSP 9. I intended to download the free corel RAW program, but when I DL'd these and tried opening them, PSP worked. The convertor seems very simple - don't know if that is the norm, but it seems to do the job easily.

Test will be this week when I try converting, processing and then stitching a pano I took.

ann
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    Hey Ann,

You done good there.thumb.gif
    Hello, Harry

Thank You!:):

ann