Options

Proofing for EZ Prints from iMac with simple workflow

euchretobineuchretobin Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
edited April 17, 2008 in Finishing School
With this set of Mac software, can I successfully proof an image for printing at EZ Prints?

D70s -> DXO Optics -> PS Elements 4.0 if needed (rare) -> iPhoto (basic tweaks here sometimes)

Run on a pretty new Intel iMac with the 24" monitor. Most shots are taken in jpeg format, some RAW. sRGB color space on the camera.

Research on color profiles and proofing, including the excellent dgrin articles, have left me somewhat numb with too much information and uncertainty as to whether this setup can properly use the monitor's and EZ Print's color profiles to proof an image. And if they can, I'm not sure how to do it.

The monitor's "iMac" profile is, as we know, bright. As suggested in one article, I can switch it to "sRGB". Now I'm in the same color space as the photo, and EZ Prints, right? I'm already lost here...

Then, from what I can tell, none of my software supports proofing with a color profile such as the one from EZ Prints. If that's true, am I out of luck on trying to proof an image?

Test prints have come back darker than the monitor, as expected based on information in the articles about color profiles and the iMac. Rather than guess on how much to lighten for the final prints (to frame), I'd like to do it "right". Thanks for any help!

Paul
http://euchre.smugmug.com
Photos by Paul: http://euchre.smugmug.com
Nikon digital plus Canon FD for nostalgia :thumb

Comments

• Options
    jhmjcmjhmjcm Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited April 17, 2008
    I don't believe any of the software in your workflow supports soft proofing. As far as I am aware, only Photoshop in the Adobe product range (not Elements) supports that.

Before you even attempt soft-proofing, you will need to calibrate your monitor. There are several articles here on monitor calibration here that go into this in detail; however, the basic gist is that you will need a hardware device (such as a Colorvision Spyder) that reads the colors your monitor produces and creates a custom profile for your monitor. Once you calibrate your monitor, you take the output of the calibration software and use that monitor profile at the OS level.

The profile you download for SmugMug (the EZPrints profile) is then installed in the directory that Photoshop uses for soft proofing profiles. Once you are satisfied with your adjustments in PS, you can turn on the soft proof view and make any final adjustments based upon your output destination. You do not assign this profile to the file or convert to this profile; that should remain the recommended profile (usually sRGB).

Luminosity is a "gotcha" in monitor profiling. Most of the lower to mid-range calibration packages blithely ignore luminosity level. Only the high-end packages measure luminosity output. While not absolutely necessary if you're satisfied with the results of "eyeballing" the luminosity, it does help. Bear in mind, most Macs have extremely bright monitors and even setting the display brightness to its lowest level may still produce prints that are too dark without proper calibration. I use a utility called "Shades" that lowers the brightness beyond that which is possible using OS X's brightness controls.
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2008
    Its highly questionable if its worthwhile soft proofing for this output since they don't accept anything outside of sRGB right? If you can't soft proof, then pick a rendering intent, then edit based on that profile and intent, what's the point?
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    euchretobineuchretobin Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited April 17, 2008
    Isn't it that, by having calibrated the monitor and soft proofed (after final edits) with the EZ prints, profile, you'll now see what the final print will look like when they're done? Hence no need to embed the profile with the image?

Thanks for the suggestions. It's disappointing that I'd have to spend so much for CS3 in order to get soft proofing. Maybe I'm overthinking this and can do reasonably well without the soft proof, relying on some monitor adjustment to the SmugMug calibration prints...

Undoubtedly CS3 would provide many other benefits, over time.

Paul
    Photos by Paul: http://euchre.smugmug.com
    Nikon digital plus Canon FD for nostalgia :thumb
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2008
    Isn't it that, by having calibrated the monitor and soft proofed (after final edits) with the EZ prints, profile, you'll now see what the final print will look like when they're done? Hence no need to embed the profile with the image?

Not if you can't apply the rendering intent and certainly not if the lab doesn't apply that EXACT profile and the printer conditions are exactly based on how that profile was built.

And why not just LET the user apply the profile (and edits) and simply send the RGB values to the printer? That's what everyone else does when they control the process (and I'll add, lots of other labs).
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/