Options

30-bit display for any gamut you want

sanakasanaka Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
edited April 19, 2008 in Digital Darkroom
HP and Dreamworks have created a cool-sounding LCD monitor. A billion colors!

Here's the very non-substantive article.

Anyone know more about this?

Peace,
Sanaka
WooHooo! New dSLR!:barb : Canon XSi / 450D
Kit lens for now: 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS

Comments

• Options
    i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    Doesn't CS3 only support 16-bit color? What are they using to get to 30-bits?

I want to try one of these:
    http://www.viewsonic.com/professional/
    Full NTSC color gamut in a 2ms package. :D
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2008
    Maybe it's more a matter of which 16-bits you want to display. 30 bits would let you have Adobe RGB or NTSC or whatever, with headroom to spare.

Well I think you should try that Viewsonic. At $455 MSRP, that really makes me wonder why I just spent $800 on a NEC 2090UXi ne_nau.gifscratchne_nau.gif Let us know if you buy one!

Peace,
    Sanaka
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    sanaka wrote:
    HP and Dreamworks have created a cool-sounding LCD monitor. A billion colors!

CS3 supports 16 bits per channel. That HP display is 10 bits per channel. My NEC 2090 Uxi has 12-bit color look-up tables, but those extra tones are only used to make sure any color or gamma corrections still produce smooth gradients without banding artifacs. The amount of actual tones displayed at any time is the usual 8 bits per channel 16,7 million. I'd wager that the HP display does the same thing.

The widest gamut reachable depends on the backlight and color filters. The amount of color tones depends on the lcd part and the electronics driving it.

HP's display is less groound breaking as it might first seem. We will see what it can actually do when someone measures it's performance.

As per the Viewsonic, 2ms response times suggest a tn-film lcd panel. (Besides anything at 10ms or below is perfactly acceptable) Wouldn't buy one of those either without seeing the measuments as tn panels are notorious for inaccurate color. Also 106% is too much for an accurate gamut, and would require more than 8-bit look-up tables to correct properly - Viewsonic does not state as having this.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    sanaka wrote:
    30-bit display for any gamut you want

The number of bits has almost nothing to do with the size of the gamut, it only tells you how many steps you have in your gamut. You can have 32-bit sRGB but it won't look any better.
    pyry wrote:
    The widest gamut reachable depends on the backlight and color filters. The amount of color tones depends on the lcd part and the electronics driving it.

Yup, if that display has a higher gamut, it's not going to be because of the bits alone, it's going to be because of the LED backlight and hardware, as the better LED monitors are demonstrating now.
    pyry wrote:

The "30-bit" monitor really means 10 bits per channel. Photoshop Extended supports 32 bits per channel. But you have to use a special viewing mode to extract the tones you want to actually use from the image.
  • Options
    NewsyNewsy Registered Users Posts: 605 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2008

That "professional series" *cough* Viewsonic 22" uses a "TN" panel. It would be a shame to drive a CS3 image to that monitor, pretty much a waste of time and $$$ imho.

.... I just checked out some of the other so-called "professional" VP series monitors from Viewsonic. I'm not impressed at all.

• Options
    edited April 19, 2008
    I wrote:
    makes me wonder why I just spent $800 on a NEC 2090UXi
    Now I remember!:

pyry wrote:
    2ms response times suggest a tn-film lcd panel...and would require more than 8-bit look-up tables to correct properly - Viewsonic does not state as having this.
    Peace,
    Sanaka
  • Options
    i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    But the viewsonic is almost half the price... If this was my sole means of income I would spare no expense, but I can get 2 of the viewsonics for almost the same price...

I'm a student, therefore on a tight budget.:D
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler