Options

Warming photos for printing

BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
edited March 29, 2004 in Finishing School
At smugmug we use a pro lab by the name of EZ Prints to make prints, as does Nikon.net, Webshots, PrintRoom, etc.

Their strategy is to hit the colors accurately in the shots you submit.

Consumer labs like Ofoto, however, put your shots through a warming process to help fair-skinned caucasions look like Indiana Jones.

Both strategies will get you some enraged customers and some returns — us from some fair-skinned consumers who want to look less pink, and Ofoto from more serious amateurs and pros who say they didn't hit the color, or from asians who don't like to look yellow.

We are considering adding a feature at checkout with a show-me interface called something like "the tanning salon" that consumers could choose if they wished. For pros who are selling pics, that option would not appear as they would be allergic to it.

What's your reaction? Good idea or bad? Your answer may depend on what's meant by warming, but lets just assume it's like Ofoto's secret sauce that makes you look less pink and more tanned (making grass muddy in the process, and red sweaters look blah).

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2004
    My thoughts?

lol3.gif

Sounds like a nice option, but I'd show them a side by side comparison so they had no doubt about what they were ordering.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    DachDach Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited March 25, 2004
    Maybe I'm alone in this, but it seems that if I wanted to look a different shade than the original picture showed, I'd touch it up in Photoshop, then send it to the photolab to print exactly what I sent them. I think the idea of altering the picture in post-processing hearkens back to the olden days of film and chemicals and that great C41 smell. But, this is the 21st Century, and, just like if I took a flyer into Kinko's, I'd expect a photolab to print exactly what I sent them. If it comes out bad, it's my fault. Even my mom, who has minimal computer skills but a good eye for composition, knows how to use whatever software came with her camera to make the colors balance out right. So, I vote against the tanning booth :)
  • Options
    ahcrouchahcrouch Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited March 25, 2004
    The promise of un-"enhanced" colors was one of the main reasons I chose smugmug. Even though I'm no pro, I have a reasonably well-calibrated color process, and I want prints to come out as I've prepared them to come out. I've been pretty happy so far, though sometimes EZPrint's prints seem a bit strong on the reds compared to what I see on my screen.

That said, if the "tanning" option adds no extra steps in the ordering process--i.e., I can ignore it completely and not have to uncheck any boxes--I can imagine that some users would appreciate it.

Andy
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 29, 2004
    Hit the colors! If people want to look tanned, go outside! I'm not a pro by any means, but when I do prints down at my local Ritz, I make them reprint it if the colors are off even a bit.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Hit the colors! If people want to look tanned, go outside! I'm not a pro by any means, but when I do prints down at my local Ritz, I make them reprint it if the colors are off even a bit.

Agreed with the doc.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson