Options

Lens or flash?

JavaLoverJavaLover Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
edited April 24, 2008 in Accessories
Ok, I'm really new to digital. My hubby got me a 40D for Christmas. I've been playing around and trying to read everything I can. I was all set to figure out what lens I wanted, then I had a thought, should I get a flash first. Money does not grow on trees and I'll have to piece together my kit. So should I just really work with the lens that came with the camera (28-135mm) and get a flash or for go the flash for now and figure out what lens I want? :scratch

Thanks in advance for the advice. :bow
Canon 40D, stock lens and now a Canon 55mm-250mm f/4-5.6 IS.
tfarley.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    I would get a flash...
    As I understand your posting - you already have the 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens. That lens, while perhaps not quite in the category of the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS or the 24-70mm f/2.8L lenses; is a very good performer. I used this lens for several years and still have it.

Frankly, I think the performance of my copy is excellent and I really like its focal length.

Some folks pan this lens because the 28mm side is not quite wide enough for all around shooting. Perhaps it isn't but, it matches up very nicely with a wide angle lens as a shooting duo. I shot for a long while with the 28-135mm lens teamed up with a Canon 20mm f/2.8. This lens combination really served me fairly well. I liked it because both lenses fit in a Tamrac Zoom 19 holster case and both lenses used "relatively" inexpensive 72mm filters.

However, the 20mm was not "quite" as wide as I wanted. I really liked the combination of the 28-135mm lens with the Tokina 12-24mm f/4 ATX.

In fact, I purchased a 24-70mm f/2.8L to team up with the 12-24mm Tokina but really liked teaming the Tokina with the 28-135mm better because I liked the extra length at the long end and the 28-135mm was a lot lighter than the 24-70mm. The 12-135mm focal range was really great.

I finally reduced my use of the 28-135mm lens only, after I teamed up the Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens with the 70-200mm f/4L. However, other than using this combination (which is superb in all rspects); I really liked the 12-24mm with the 28-135mm.

The 12-24mm Tokina could be a good choice for a future lens purchase. It is not overly expensive at about $500, including lens hood and its build and image quality is superb.

Keeping your 28-135mm and getting a flash will open a myriad of possibilities. Flash can be used creatively, so that you don't have the "deer cought in the headlights" look of straight on flash.

I would recommend a 430ex which is a darn nice unit. Not quite as powerful as the 580ex (series) but, quite a bit less expensive and plenty adequate for the majority of uses. If you get a flash, also purchase or fabricate a diffuser to asist you in bouncing.

The ultimate way to use a single flash is on a bracket (off the camera) along with a difuser. However, bouncing a hotshoe mounted flash with a diffuser will give you some very good results and may be all that you need or want.

Finally, if money is really tight; there are other alternatives to the 430ex or 580ex Series flashes. The Sigma 500 or 530 DG Super flashes are recommended by a lot of photographers. I have no experience with the Sigmas and can only echo the statements of other posters on this and other forums.

I do, however,have extensive experience with the previous Canon flash models; the 550ex and 420ex. I own both of these flashes and make do very well with them, thank you. Since they are discontinued, they are only available on he used market. But, if you can locate a used unit of either of these types in good condition - it is a budget way to break into flash photography.

You can probably get a used 420ex flash for somewhere around a hundred or a hundred and twenty-five dollars.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,903 moderator
    edited April 21, 2008
    If you tend to shoot a lot indoors, like events and family gatherings, then an external flash is a great idea.

If it we me, yes, I would get at least one flash before any additional glass. If you want a very reasonable and still valuable lens, the Canon EF 50mm, f1.8 is a great value and would work well in your kit in addition to the 28-135mm lens.

The flash will enhance the operation of any lens indoors if it has a focus assist light, so I recommend a flash with that feature.

The Canon 430EX and 580EX II are great as is the Sigma 500 DG Super.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    I agree with the others. Get the flash if you need to add to your kit. Then spend some time learning the lens & body you have. Over time you will find for yourself what lens you are lacking and can make and educated decision on what to add. That said, the Tokina 12-24/4 and Canon 50/1.8 are both fantastic lenses and good values (I have both mwink.gif).
  • Options
    tgelstontgelston Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    Hmmm
    I didn't see any indoor pics in your gallery. . . But a question, do you have kids? I do and an external flash was my second purchase, after the Sigma 17-50 lens. The Flash is great. I got the 430EX and love it. Flash can be useful outside as well.

If you are not sure what type of shooting you are going to do, you should probably stick with the lens you have - very nice with a great walk-around range and look at buying something down the road when you have a better idea of what you like to shoot.

isn't photography fun?

Hope this was helpful
    --Tobias
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    One thing I highly reccomend if you are going with flash is that you get something that can do manual (430ex or higher) I got the 420ex, and while I really like it I am starting to find times when I wished that I could switch it to manual and not have to rely on the TTL operation of the flash. This becomes even more important if you ever want to be able to fire it remotley from say behind your subject facing back towards the camera. From my uinderstanding this really would not work if you aren't able to set the flash manually.
  • Options
    JavaLoverJavaLover Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    Thanks for all the advice. iloveyou.gif

I think I will look into the flash. Thank you for advice on that too!

I do have kids (teens) and shoot a lot of family stuff, but haven't done any that I would put into a gallery. I seem to either want to shoot really close or stuff that's far away. headscratch.gif

Yes photography is fun! So much to do and so little time.

Thanks again!
    Canon 40D, stock lens and now a Canon 55mm-250mm f/4-5.6 IS.
    tfarley.smugmug.com