Options

Engagement Portraits at Eastern University

BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
edited April 22, 2008 in Weddings
Julie & Tim are Eastern Grads, I'm shooting their wedding in October.

282851647_PUKrT-L.jpg

282857349_en4es-L.jpg

282913591_8dH7e-L.jpg

282935063_svfc7-L.jpg

One of those days that I could have used someone holding a reflector or a shade. Everywhere I wanted to shoot suffered from kind of mottled light from the 3:00 sun and trees not being filled out. I think I got some good stuff and minimized the racoon eyes with a good amount of off camera and some on camera fill.

C&C welcome.

Comments

• Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    I think I got some good stuff and minimized the racoon eyes with a good amount of off camera and some on camera fill.

Yes you did a very nice job. And what a location!

Great job!
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    Location looks amazing.

I think #3 is the best of these. thumb.gif

He is squinting in the 1st one
    #2 would be great but the angle of the noses is a little off so she is partially blocked.
    #4 is great except for their hands. Should have had her put her hand on top of his to show the ring rather than have them inter linked.

See if you can remove the person in the background of #3 too.

Great work on the lighting thoughthumb.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    Lovely couple and nicely shot. On #3, (just my preferrence) I'd clone the lady coming down the steps...that setting is too beautiful with the mood of the couple for some stranger walking in on it...Laughing.gif. On #1...since their feet are cut off anyway....maybe a tighter crop would give it a new feel?
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2008
    anwmn1 wrote:
    Location looks amazing.

I think #3 is the best of these. thumb.gif

He is squinting in the 1st one
    #2 would be great but the angle of the noses is a little off so she is partially blocked.
    #4 is great except for their hands. Should have had her put her hand on top of his to show the ring rather than have them inter linked.

See if you can remove the person in the background of #3 too.

Great work on the lighting thoughthumb.gif

282905891_ASRgs-L.jpg

This is actually my fav from that spot with the trees, but I figured I'd post the happy tilt one. On the hands, I usually pose hands for the ring, and I did in other shots, but toward the end of the session I always backoff and just let them do what they do, and this was it. His hands are thick and the interlace exaggerates that and I'm not fond of her arm behind him, but they were really done with me posing them.

Thanks for the comments.
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:
    Lovely couple and nicely shot. On #3, (just my preferrence) I'd clone the lady coming down the steps...that setting is too beautiful with the mood of the couple for some stranger walking in on it...Laughing.gif. On #1...since their feet are cut off anyway....maybe a tighter crop would give it a new feel?

Yeah the crop was intended for 4/5 which gives a little roof and ends at the knees, but I always upload the full 2/3 and then crop when they order. Since 2 people mentioned the person I'll clone her.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    I liked this one the best, but it seemed a little flat so I tweaked some. I hope you don't mind.

Sam
  • Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    Nice shots. On the last two I'd like to see a little more separation from the background. Maybe open up the lens a bit?
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    Nice shots. On the last two I'd like to see a little more separation from the background. Maybe open up the lens a bit?

How does that Stone's song go??? "You can't always get what you want."

I could have opened up to f3.5 on the first if I wanted to shoot on FP shutter, ambient light was metering at f5.6 1/250 I was at 4.5 (within easily correctable raw lattitude) and I was backed up almost to the point that my feet were wet. On the second I probably stopped down that much to ensure that I was hitting them with flash only rather than risking the ambient/flash mix and getting raccoon eyes. So what could fix both of these problems? a 2 stop ND filter, chances of me carrying around and actually using one of them? nill. Chance of me investing in a flash system that can do wireless FP shutter? Possible now that radio poppers are shipping.

Thanks for the comments,

Jason