Options

Bugs - What's in your yard

Richard CabesaRichard Cabesa Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
edited March 30, 2004 in Wildlife
Humungus has got giant spiders in his shed. Can't top that for size but I've got bugs too. What's in your garden?

2842758-M.jpg

Happy Hunting

David

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2004
    Ain't gotta yard. Gonna hafta borrow someone else's.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2004
    Ok....the gauntlet is on the ground. I am about to go & get a photo of the "Uzi boys" If i dont post in the next few hours then you know i have been flanked & taken out.

0z national anthem kicks in at this moment

You mongrel richard....i have been avoiding this.
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2004
    Humungus wrote:

You mongrel richard....i have been avoiding this.
    rolleyes1.gif Watch out for the brown snakes while you're lookin fer bugs lol3.gif

David
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2004
    This could get real nasty lads...stay alert for one very hot extraction. I want 4 at that rise at Sou Sou West with minimi's...another 2 with RPG's on right flank & keep a voice clear for air support, we are going to need 'em.

Man what am i doing this for...who's the winner in this type of garbage ?

A salute is all that is required lads. Godspeed.
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2004
    So whats so scarey about these little fellas you may ask ? Well have you ever hung out of your bathroom window up 4 storys balancing a camera in one hand & holding on for grim life with the other ? Sweating as you creep the lens up to 3 inches knowing that at any second they are just gonna start into you like an uzi....no crap they will each sting you about 2 or 3 times & I have been chased by them for 100 yards. At least with a snake you only have one end to watch.

And do they hurt ? They are our hardest flying hitter over here.I give you the 'Paper Wasp" aka Honeycomb Wasp. Notice the dood top right on point ? He kept straightening out his legs & raising his body to show i was too close.

2844190-L.jpg
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2004
    Humungus wrote:
    So whats so scarey about these little fellas you may ask ? Well have you ever hung out of your bathroom window up 4 storys balancing a camera in one hand & holding on for grim life with the other ? Sweating as you creep the lens up to 3 inches knowing that at any second they are just gonna start into you like an uzi....no crap they will each sting you about 2 or 3 times & I have been chased by them for 100 yards. At least with a snake you only have one end to watch.

And do they hurt ? They are our hardest flying hitter over here.I give you the 'Paper Wasp" aka Honeycomb Wasp. Notice the dood top right on point ? He kept straightening out his legs & raising his body to show i was too close.

2844190-L.jpg
    I have no idea what the contest was, but you win! If they were out side by bathroom window, I'd be nailing the window shut, and buying a case of raid.
  • Options
    TJAmyTJAmy Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited March 13, 2004
    Hello, nice picture. I hope these are not the orange flowers from the other day!
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2004
    Humungus has got giant spiders in his shed. Can't top that for size but I've got bugs too. What's in your garden?

David

Here's one.

2735746-M.jpg
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2004
    TJAmy wrote:
    Hello, nice picture. I hope these are not the orange flowers from the other day!
    Nope only on the Hibiscus, only thing in the yard they seem to bother

David
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2004
    Humungus wrote:

2844190-L.jpg
    I'm skeeered
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Here's one.
    Fish whats up there with the focus...i would expect your experience & camera to get the lady bird clearer. No putting it on you but is the bug too small for the camera to focus on & thus uses the leaf ?
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2004
    Sam wrote:
    I'd be nailing the window shut, and buying a case of raid.
    I wont kill anything... wont even step on an ant. I am forever getting insects out of puddles on the way to work... Im a bit weird like that.
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2004
    Humungus wrote:
    Fish whats up there with the focus...i would expect your experience & camera to get the lady bird clearer. No putting it on you but is the bug too small for the camera to focus on & thus uses the leaf ?
    operator error. the ladybug was moving and I had the camera set on "one shot" AF, rather than AI Servo, so it nailed the leaf and not the bug. No second chance, cuz she flew off right after I snapped it. I'll take what I can get :)
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2004
    cool...just that your shots are always in focus.
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2004
    Another pest

2856192-M.jpg

David
  • Options
    SavannahManSavannahMan Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2004
    Almost walked into this one the other day.....it's a big as it looks...

2439023-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2004
    The roses are starting to bloom, and like clockwork, the little suckers are out in force.

3104513-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2004
    Almost walked into this one the other day.....it's a big as it looks...

2439023-M.jpg

OK, that's it. No trips to Oz, and no parties in SavannahMan's back yard. :yikes
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2004
    fish wrote:
    The roses are starting to bloom, and like clockwork, the little suckers are out in force.

That's a nice shot, fish. Do those suckers kill the rose?
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    That's a nice shot, fish. Do those suckers kill the rose?
    Aphids won't kill the plant, but if enough of them suck on a bud, it will open funky or not at all. I like to go out and squish 'em with my hands. See the very skinny white corpse in the middle? That's a dead one. Some of them have wings, but most don't. They just live to suck....suck to live. Reminds me of my sister.
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Aphids won't kill the plant, but if enough of them suck on a bud, it will open funky or not at all. I like to go out and squish 'em with my hands. See the very skinny white corpse in the middle? That's a dead one. Some of them have wings, but most don't. They just live to suck....suck to live. Reminds me of my sister.
    Thats why if you find a lady beatle...put it on the rose...they just looove aphids. Its their favorite
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2004
    My all time favorite bug shot:

3110422-M.jpg

My most exotic bug (St John, USVI, xmas 2003):

3110403-M.jpg

From a couple of summers ago:

3110404-M.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2004
    Bug & Flower
    Combining two of my favorite subjexts:

3141808-L.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2004
    I'll throw another on the stack

2851884-M.jpg
    David
  • Options
    XcellencXcellenc Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited March 29, 2004
    An emerging darner
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2004
    I'll throw another on the stack

David
    I think that's a molusk, not a bug.
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2004
    fish wrote:
    I think that's a molusk, not a bug.
    OK Cliff, haven't you got some mail you need to deliver? :smooch