Options

All Aboard

jsmileyjsmiley Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
edited April 24, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
The Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad runs from Chama in Northern New Mexico to Antonito Colorado.
Just after this shot was taken the train derailed, stranding us at 10,000 ft for 4 hrs. No one was hurt; the engine just jumped the track .
Train.jpg
The trip was halted at the halfway point. They brought in a different train which took us to a drop off point close to the road. Then we were returned to the starting point by bus.
It was an eight hour trip that took 12 hours.

Comments

• Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    jsmiley wrote:
    The Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad runs from Chama in Northern New Mexico to Antonito Colorado.
    Just after this shot was taken the train derailed, stranding us at 10,000 ft for 4 hrs. No one was hurt; the engine just jumped the track .

The trip was halted at the halfway point. They brought in a different train which took us to a drop off point close to the road. Then we were returned to the starting point by bus.
    It was an eight hour trip that took 12 hours.

Glad no one got hurt as a result of the train be derailed eek7.gif
    Would have been scarey to be in the next cabin to the engin when that happened.

What an adventure the day turned out to be,
    made for quite a long day for all of you.

Did you take any shots of the derailment??

This shot will be a talking piece for your family for many many years to come......thanks for sharing your story with this image thumb.gif

....Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    15524779-Ti.gif pretty much mirror Skippy's comments. Its a cool shot. thumb.gif
    Just visited the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad site. I'd love to do a ride
    like this. In open cars too. How was that? :D Michael
    Michael
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2008
    Skippy wrote:
    Glad no one got hurt as a result of the train be derailed eek7.gif
    Would have been scarey to be in the next cabin to the engin when that happened.

What an adventure the day turned out to be,
    made for quite a long day for all of you.

Did you take any shots of the derailment??

This shot will be a talking piece for your family for many many years to come......thanks for sharing your story with this image thumb.gif

....Skippy :D
    Thanks for looking Skippy.
    For some reason they did not want us to photograph their derailment. Bad PR
    I guess. Actually all that happened was that the rails spread out letting the engine drop down. All in all not a bad trip.

Probably the only point of concern was an elderly lady that was on bottle oxygen. They definitely did not want her to run out. The air is thin at 10,000 feet.
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2008
    DaddyO wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif pretty much mirror Skippy's comments. Its a cool shot. thumb.gif
    Just visited the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad site. I'd love to do a ride
    like this. In open cars too. How was that? :D Michael

Thanks Michael

The last car was an open car with sides. That's where we spent all of our time a good 360 view.

We were supposed to have lunch around 11 o'clock at the halfway point we were a little late.
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    jsmiley wrote:
    Thanks Michael

The last car was an open car with sides. That's where we spent all of our time a good 360 view.

We were supposed to have lunch around 11 o'clock at the halfway point we were a little late.
    Appreciate the info John. Looks like you did the ride mid summer or so. Fairly
    warm even at 10,000 feet? I can understand them not wanting you to take
    photos of the "derailment". Plus their concerns with passengers they must have
    had their hands full. By your account they did a great job taking care
    of things. Michael
    Michael
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    Oh my....it derailed....that would have scared me.