Options

Going Under the Ice - 26img

coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
edited April 24, 2008 in Journeys
Taking SCUBA under the ice can be very dangerous, for obvious reasons. Typically, if a dive goes wrong, the way out is always up, but with a solid surface overhead, that's not so anymore. The water rescue team set up an ice dive Saturday for a few members to brush up on skills, and for one member's first ice dive. I didn't get to go under, unfortunately, but I did get some pictures from the surface. :D Enjoy!

Low visibility is often a problem in all sorts of dives, whether the surface is solid or not. In ice diving, if one were to somehow become untethered and disoriented, getting back to the one hole to open air can be quite a feat if it's not in sight. So before we cut the hole, we shovel out giant arrows pointing home. Hopefully a diver lost under the ice could spot these arrows overhead and find their way back to the surface.
icedive01.jpg

A few weeks back we tried doing an ice rescue class in Willow, and were faced with ice more than three feet thick. Hours of cutting got us a shallow hole which we accidentally filled with water, but we were able to train anyway. In this case, the ice was close to 20 inches thick, so our short chainsaw bars would barely cut it. We swapped our stihl out with a 25 inch bar, and managed to make a nice hole with a moderate amount of work.
icedive02.jpg

Most of these chunks are free-floating. Cliff, on the right, accidentally stepped across the line at one point. Nimble feet saved the chainsaw (which we borrowed from the fire department) from being the goal of a recovery effort. :rofl
icedive05.jpg

icedive06.jpg

Our dive chief (on the left) is rather handy with machinery. He built the claw we use to pull the ice chunks out. Some of these were a bit large, but we managed to clear the hole.
icedive08.jpg

Tools of the trade, slightly out of frame. :thumb
icedive09.jpg

Now we meet the divers. Casey is a firefighter, water rescue tech, and working his way back to the paramedic level he was at previously. This is his first dive under the ice.
icedive10.jpg

I haven't actually asked what Mike does for a living, but he casually comments on how "we used to do" dives under the ice, so I'm assuming he at least dove professionally at one point. :D
icedive12.jpg

Walt spent a long time on the state trooper dive team. You can tell by looking at him that he's got stories worth listening to.
icedive16.jpg

The rest of the group helped out in various other ways. Dick and myself were tenders, holding the ropes that connect our divers to the surface.
icedive14.jpg

My wife is the newest member of the water rescue team. She was instrumental in the delivery of hot chocolate to the divers. :D
icedive13.jpg

Jackson didn't actually want to get wet. At one point I pushed him in, but he launched himself off the lip of the hole and cleared the entire thing in the air. I got him later though. :rofl
icedive11.jpg

An ice dive takes hours of preparation from everyone involved. Here, Walt checks over his equipment, making sure it's all in working order. An interesting difference between winter and summer diving is that if you test your regulator on the surface during the winter by taking a few breaths, you run the risk of freezing it open, leaving it free-flowing without stopping. The same is true of the inflator valves on buoyancy compensators. A member of the team a few years back had a BC inflator valve freeze open on him, sticking him against the bottom of the ice with a bloated BC. :huh Getting your equipment under water before putting air through the valves helps prevent this.

icedive15.jpg

Of course another obvious difference between cold water and the crystal blue of the tropics is the necessity for drysuits. There is no water in Alaska that's not in the "cold water" category, outside of the occasional hot spring. :D
icedive17.jpg

At this point the serious work began, so I got less pictures, but I did manage to snag a few of the divers in the water. Here's Walt, with Dick tending.
icedive20.jpg

It may seem less glamorous, but the job of a tender is just as necessary as that of the diver. Neither one does much good without the other. The knot says Walt is thirty feet out into the black.
icedive21.jpg

A newly utilized piece of equipment for us is the full facemask, which makes the use of audio communications possible. Joe mans the radio, talking to walt on the other side of the ice. I'm not sure how they managed before, rope tugs simply can't communicate all the various issues that can come up on a dive like this. :scratch
icedive22.jpg

In a rescue operation, we'll always have three divers. One in the water, one ready to jump in, and one standing by ready, but not necessarily masked up. Each of these divers also needs a tender. This means we have to have a lot of responders to an emergency when the call goes out. :rofl
icedive23.jpg

Preparations for Casey to go in, the last diver of the day. Part of the tender's job is making sure the diver doesn't have to do any work, be it lifting his tank onto his back, putting his fins on, or checking out his gear. The diver has enough to worry about already, so the less load on him, the better.
icedive24.jpg

icedive25.jpg

Casey is almost ready. Walt will be the "90 percent diver" for this dive.
icedive26.jpg

When spring comes and things warm up, ice melts in vertical columns, eventually breaking down into what is called "candle ice". You can see the beginnings of it in the chunks we pulled out. Not quite enough to be unsafe, but it's almost the time of year for cars to start going through.
icedive27.jpg

Casey moves under the ice, with Jackson looking on intently.
icedive29.jpg

That's about all the excitement I have from a Saturday of diving, but here's a couple shots I saw and liked.

The ice claw sat on a cube for a couple hours, soaking up the sun's rays and melting itself deeper in. Things like this are interesting to me.
icedive30.jpg

This plane landed nearby, and I liked the feel of this shot.
icedive31.jpg

And of course, I did say I managed to get Jackson in the hole. :D :rofl A dog has a bit of trouble climbing out onto the ice, though, so here I am going in to save him. :rofl Shot by my wife, Tracy.
icedive32.jpg
John Borland
www.morffed.com

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2008
    WOW what a great series......I applaude your whole crew for all the work they do just to stay "tuned up" for a possible that you hope never happens.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    It is a great series, and some really good shots. Great work being done as well. But why did you push your dog into the water? Needed a reason to get wet yourself?

ann
  • Options
    BlackwoodBlackwood Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    I can't say I'd penetrate (ice, cave, wreck) with a single tank, but that's neither here nor there.

Awesome series. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    Really interesting!

Makes me feel safe to have all you guys just a stones throw away from my house... Man, you wouldn't have gotten me out on Wasilla lake right now for anything- so thanks for being so brave. I have been watching various people out there thinking they were all crazy, since I thought the ice was already bad. (It is starting to look like it is getting there, but you showed me that I was premature in my thinking! rolleyes1.gif)

Anyway, looks like quite the process and lots of work. How often does local FDepts have to do actual dives in life situations? I know on Big Lake they all drive on the ice like it is the highway with stopsigns and everything, but I have never heard of anyone going under...

I sure am glad you guys are prepared for it, though

Really great shots too! Like I said before.... interesting!clap.gif
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    Wow, buddy system to the extreme! I love the arrows dug out pointing to the hole. Not something I've ever thought about... Diving in Seattle was cold enough! Great shots.
    Chris
  • Options
    javierplumeyjavierplumey Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    Very cool. I didn't even think about what would happen if a underwater rescue needs to be done under ice. Thanks for sharing this with us.
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2008
    Anyway, looks like quite the process and lots of work. How often does local FDepts have to do actual dives in life situations? I know on Big Lake they all drive on the ice like it is the highway with stopsigns and everything, but I have never heard of anyone going under...

Not all that often really, but when it DOES happen, they need somebody trained for that particular type of rescue or they're in a really bad spot. Heck, they're already in a really bad spot, since our service area is the size of West Virginia, and we have 20-some responders. eek7.gif We've had a couple false calls already this spring for cars through the ice, but they were all from passers-by who didn't stop to confirm, and they were all just ice fishermen having a good time. The ice is on its way out though, so we'll see how things go in the next few weeks!

Ann: Jackson (the dog) belongs to Joe. He was having a good old time all day playing around with the bubbles coming up through chainsaw holes and such. We threw him in because he was so curious already, running around the hole looking in, biting the floating ice, and such. He wasn't bothered much. :D I did have to give him a boost to get out though.

Thanks everybody for your comments! I always appreciate any feedback and replies! thumb.gif
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    tisuntisun Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    What a great series of photos and a very interesting journey. I love the ice claw shot.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited April 18, 2008
    Aga and Viking. What a combination. You need to try the whole "divator"
    system. Those 4000 psi doubles are sweet. Plus it's a whole lot easier to
    work with them vs. their AL 80 (same capacity, just higher pressure).
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    What a wonderful series. I enjoyed it thumb.gif
  • Options
    Majik ImajeMajik Imaje Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    Did you know ?? that you can cut ice much faster if you use SAND ?

In the arctic; sand is used to cut through gigantic holes in the ice, if a whale is hiding (dead) under that ice.

I have just never figured out how they know the exact spot to "cut" !

The Inupiaq people claim they can smell through 10 feet of ice @ sub zero temps, I find that statement to be most bizarre.!!

Great photographs, great series of something unique and different !!

5 stars !!
    A blog of ICE
    ALL PHOTOS
    NEW ARCTIC FORUM

working around the clock to restore lost 'forum' & all photos
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2008
    Did you know ?? that you can cut ice much faster if you use SAND ?

In the arctic; sand is used to cut through gigantic holes in the ice, if a whale is hiding (dead) under that ice.

I have just never figured out how they know the exact spot to "cut" !

The Inupiaq people claim they can smell through 10 feet of ice @ sub zero temps, I find that statement to be most bizarre.!!

Great photographs, great series of something unique and different !!

5 stars !!

I've never heard of using sand to cut ice, but it's very abrasive so I can see how that would work. I'd love to see it done.
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2008
    Well to tell the truth . .. ..
    I don't know if it would work, where you live, only because, you do not have 24 hour sunlight. The process is simple, it has nothing to do with abrasion, or such, I even imagine that something "black" might work as well , I do not know, but the technology behind this is very simple.

We just wait,.. .. the sun does all the work, it heats that sand up, and it sinks, & sinks, and sinks, as long as the sun is on that sand ( up here 24/ 7)
    It keeps doing deeper and deeper !!
    The Inupiaq way.. .. is to wait ! watch, look !!
    A blog of ICE
    ALL PHOTOS
    NEW ARCTIC FORUM

• Options
    edited April 20, 2008
    I don't know if it would work, where you live, only because, you do not have 24 hour sunlight. The process is simple, it has nothing to do with abrasion, or such, I even imagine that something "black" might work as well , I do not know, but the technology behind this is very simple.

We just wait,.. .. the sun does all the work, it heats that sand up, and it sinks, & sinks, and sinks, as long as the sun is on that sand ( up here 24/ 7)

I never thought of letting the sand just sit there and let the heat from the sun melt away at the ice. My thought was more in the sand used as an abrasive rub like sandpaper attached to something.

Sun....24 hrs of sun in the winter would be marvelous :D Winter can be so dreary. How cold does it get there when you do this method of cutting through the ice?
  • Options
    BlackwoodBlackwood Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    You need to try the whole "divator"
    system.

At that point I'd just go to closed circuit. It's the way of the future :D
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2008
    The sand concept would certainly take a lot of the work out of it. rolleyes1.gif We build up a bit of sweat working with chainsaws in those drysuits. Hows fast does that work MAJIK? And do you just lay out a blanket of it, or do you melt a border and pull out the ice chunks? Very interesting concept.

Thanks a bunch for the comments everyone!
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008

24/7 in the summer, right?
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2008
    In Wasilla you do not have the same 24 hour sunlight at the same time we do. It does not occur until Mid June in your area.

In Point Hope we have it @ mid May

In Barrow they have it sooner, end of April

a blanket of sand is too much work... edges, and cross them like hopskotch.

Sweating is very dangerous, in the arctic at very sub zero temps.. this has to be avoided at all costs.! (different topic, different thread).
    A blog of ICE
    ALL PHOTOS
    NEW ARCTIC FORUM

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited April 24, 2008
    Blackwood wrote:
    At that point I'd just go to closed circuit. It's the way of the future :D
    True. But the AGA system is good for all types of rescue work.
    Including firefighting.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?