Options

Thinking about going on a roadtrip across USA, tips?

ulrikftulrikft Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
edited April 25, 2008 in Journeys
Hey!

Me, my girlfriend and her sister are planning a trip across usa, approx 3 weeks is the time we are planning to spend..

so..

1) How much do we have to plan on using on an used car that will take us from Boston -> Miami -> Calif -> seattle ?

2) Is a trip like the one mentioned in question 1 too long for 3 weeks if one wants to relax, shop, take pictures, have fun, meet people?

3) If yes on 2, any alternative routes? (I suspect the amount of different answers on this will be quite like the amount of people answering)

4) Any special things to remember? Electricity? prices on gas? crossing state borders? driver license issues?

5) If I have a civilian license to carry guns in Norway, is it possible to rent/buy something in US (if we are going somewhere wildernessy with large predators, I would like to have something)

6) Anything else you want to add? :)

I'll make some more specific questions as the planning go on :)
-Ulrik

Canon EOS 30D, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 70-200 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, Tokina 12-24 f/4. Sigma 1.4 TC, Feisol 3401 Tripod + Feisol ballhead, Metz 58 AF-1 C, ebay triggers.

Comments

• Options
    edited March 28, 2008
    -Ulrik

Canon EOS 30D, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 70-200 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, Tokina 12-24 f/4. Sigma 1.4 TC, Feisol 3401 Tripod + Feisol ballhead, Metz 58 AF-1 C, ebay triggers.
  • Options
    aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2008
    2 years ago, my family and I did a 2 week driving trip out west. We flew to Las Vegas, and rented a minivan. Spent 3 nites in Vegas, then started driving. Covered 2400 miles by the time we reached Seattle. Mostly stayed 1 nite per stop, with 2 nites in Grand Canyon and 2 nites in Yosemite (though different lodge each nite).

These are my comments:
    • Try to limit driving to under 5 hrs in a day
    • Staying in a different place each day is tiring; lots of packing & unpacking (camping or hotels?)
    • If planning to visit any tourist attractions, try to make reservations in advance
    • Have some sort of road side assistance (rental company, AAA, insurance, etc...). Personally, I'd recommend using a rental car over buying a junker; if something happens to the rental, they can provide speedier replacement
    • Consider a GPS (especially one where you can plan the route on your computer and download to the GPS)
    • If you driving style is "spirited" consider investing in a radar/laser detector
    • Unless you're planning to camp in deep wilderness areas, I wouldn't be concerned about carrying a weapon.
    • State borders are no issue, but Passport needed if crossing into Canada or Mexico
    • Plan some laundry stops
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2008
    Do it! :D And take more time to do it, too. You won't regret putting life on hold a few more weeks to see the places you always wish you could.

You won't need a gun unless you want to go hunting. Instead, bring a camera. thumb.gif

Bring a tent and make use of 4-wheeler trails, riverbeds, gravel pits, and dirt roads in the woods. You'll save tons compared to hotels, and have great memories every night. Hotel rooms are all the same.
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    Brett MickelsonBrett Mickelson Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2008
    My girlfriend and I just returned from spending seven months on a U.S. road trip. Check roadtrip.brettmickelson.com for our blog, which has photos, a map of our route, and blog posts from every day. I will go through your questions.
    ulrikft wrote:
    1) How much do we have to plan on using on an used car that will take us from Boston -> Miami -> Calif -> seattle ?
    What? Your question doesn't make sense. In any case, I would STRONGLY suggest going across the north side of the country. Boston > Toronto? > Chicago > Minneapolis > Badlands National Park > Western SD > Devil's Tower > Jackson/Yellowstone/Tetons > Seattle > Rainier/St. Helens > Portland > OR coast > Crater Lake > CA coast.
    ulrikft wrote:
    2) Is a trip like the one mentioned in question 1 too long for 3 weeks if one wants to relax, shop, take pictures, have fun, meet people?
    3 weeks is too short for any road trip, in my opinion, but it can be done.
    ulrikft wrote:
    3) If yes on 2, any alternative routes? (I suspect the amount of different answers on this will be quite like the amount of people answering)
    Check my answer to #1. 3 weeks would still be tight for that, but it's a much better route, depending on the time of year.
    ulrikft wrote:
    4) Any special things to remember? Electricity? prices on gas? crossing state borders? driver license issues?
    Will you have a laptop? If so, use hotels for free wifi. Sleep in the car in WalMart parking lots for free, otherwise get a Woodalls campground directory for cheap places to sleep. No problems crossing state borders, but make sure your license won't expire while you're on the trip.
    ulrikft wrote:
    5) If I have a civilian license to carry guns in Norway, is it possible to rent/buy something in US (if we are going somewhere wildernessy with large predators, I would like to have something)
    Not going to happen. Even if you could "rent" a gun somewhere, you would never be able to carry it across state lines. You also won't have to deal with large predators anywhere in the U.S. if you follow your southern route. The only place you would ever really see a large predator (grizzly bear) would be Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming, which I HIGHLY reccomend you see, but you can buy "bear spray" to repel them. Truthfully, if you aren't in the backcountry, you won't have to worry much about it.
    ulrikft wrote:
    Not really...when you settle on a route, I can offer a LOT more advice.
  • Options
    jthomasjthomas Registered Users Posts: 454 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2008
    ulrikft wrote:
    That route should be doable in three weeks, but you won't have long to spend in any one location. And you'll miss a lot of spectacular scenery in northern New Mexico and Arizona.

Finally, I wouldn't want to do that route in midsummer because of the heat.
  • Options
    timk519timk519 Registered Users Posts: 831 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2008
    jthomas wrote:
    Finally, I wouldn't want to do that route in midsummer because of the heat.
    Particularly going through Phoenix / Yuma...
    • Save $5 off your first year's SmugMug image hosting with coupon code hccesQbqNBJbc
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2008
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2008
    I agree with some of the others that already posted. If you are only in the US for 3 weeks you may want to re-think your plan. Though you can get across the US in that time frame you will miss many many sites and not have much time to meet people.

Here are my thoughts on your questions
    DO NOT do a used car! Rent a mini van- it will give you more space and still give you pretty good gas mileage with are both a premium when taking a road trip. A rental car will also give you the security in case of car trouble or an accident. Pay for the insurance on this tripdeal.gif .
    YES-too much to see in a limited time especially since you are coming such a long ways. I would suggest 1 of the following 3-

East Coast- You could still start in Miami and head North along the East Coast all the way up to NY or even Maine. The distance is significantly less- which will allow more time in each location you choose.
    Civil War sites all throughout the area
    Beautiful Beaches along the Carolina's- take a trip to Hilton Head Island
    Washington DC- easily spend a week here with all of the monuments and museums
    New York- several more days- take in a Yankee game- the stadium will be torn down next year
    Boston- more history - another ball game-
    Maine- lobster of course-

Southwest-
    Fly into Texas- Arizona- Vegas- or California
    Las Vegas- must see if you have never been- allow a few days
    Grand Canyon-
    Lake Powell
    Sedona
    Monument Valley
    Painted Desert and Petrified Forest
    Hundreds of different indian ruins to choose from
    Santa Fe New Mexico
    Alamogordo New Mexico- White Sands National Monument
    Carlsbad Caverns- New Mexico
    Arches National Monument
    Pikes Peak- Colorado Springs Colorado
    Denver
    Aspen/Vail

and on and on and on:D

North West Coast-
    Fly into California or Seattle-
    San Francisco- Alcatraz- the bridge-
    Redwoods National Park
    Yellowstone
    Crater Lake
    Oregon Coast
    Portland
    Seattle
    Much more to add.

See above-

Outlets are 110 so they may be different than what you are use to. If you are going to camp or sleep in the car buy a power converter at an auto parts store. Plugs into the cigarette lighter of the car and then you can charge your cell phone- camera batteries- laptop- etc.
    GPS device is a great idea but also pick up a US Road Atlas and the DeLorme Atlas and Gazetteer for each state you are seeing (has topo maps- scenic routes- unique natural land features- etc)
    Bring a first aid kit, lots of water, and lots of sunblock
    Stay away from this. There is no issue going across state lines but there is different rules on carrying and concealment. Also ALL NATIONAL PARKS state a gun cannot be loadeddeal.gif . Have a walking stick- mini air horn- bear spray or mace if you are concerned about animals or people.
    Large animal attacks are very rare in the US and are usually caused from being provoked or coming across cubs. Be more concerned about poisonous snakes and spiders. Have a rattlesnake bite kit with you in your first aid kit.

Have a great time and look forward to a very lengthy journey thread.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    JovesJoves Registered Users Posts: 200 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2008
    No you wont be able to carry or rent a firearm, even here in Az. We are an open sidearm state which menas we can wear one just about anywhere. You have to check it at a bar and, cant carry one into Government buildings, banks, National Parks and, most of the Indian Reservations.
    Three weeks is a fair amount of time but, I see you plan on a southern route. There are alot of things in the mid section of the country too. And when you hit Arizona most of the good stuff is in the north. I know because I live in the north. In my area you could easily spend a weeks poking around and, not get bored. With in striking distance from y town is Sedona,Grand Canyon, Northern Painted Desert, Monument Valley, Wupatki Ruin, Montazumas Castle and, other great nontourist areas I go to. You can email me if you want when you get in the area and, I can give you some suggestions or, directions.
    I shoot therefore Iam.
    http://joves.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2008
    Thank you all for your amazing answers :D I have a lot of food for thought now, You all got me thinking about heat, not driving trough the desert in the south and trying a more northbound route. The reason why I want to do a coast-to-coast thing is that flight prices from norway->usa is _way_ cheaper when you choose to do coast towns like LA, San Diego, Boston, NY and Miami, don't ask me why.

I have been working 14 hour shifts this weekend and today was full up too, but I'll try to write a more thought out answer later tonight or tomorrow: again, thank you a bunch all of you, you all got me thinking :)
    -Ulrik

• Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2008
    heres my view on it...
    ive been to Europe...if i were to go back and only had three weeks i would stay in three different areas for a week each....give or take a day or two...
    they would be places ive seen in photos and would find a great desire to photograph myself.

so, what do you desire? riding in a car everyday?
    not me. id get somewhere and explore it with my feet...

i would narrow it down to east coast or west coast.

im partial to the west:
    spend a week in california (im thinking Redwoods & San francisco), a week (or just three or so days)in northwest nevada(sierras), and a week in southern utah.(zion, grand canyon,etc...)
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2008
    also, after a big hike the money you save on gas can go toward a nice room with a big hottub:D
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    tgelstontgelston Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited April 25, 2008
    Pick a few areas
    I can totally understand the urge to make a cross-country trip. I have done it twice, many many years ago and the longest was 2 months and it was still too short, we spent lots of days driving.

My advice. Pick one or two spots within a few days drive and spend some time at those spots. Folks above have given some good advice. Summer - desert southwest is going to be really HOT. The pacific Northwest is beautiful in the summer as are places like Yellowstone, Glacier NP. East Coast of Maine and new England area too.

try to hit the more popular places mid-week. In the summer most popular places are going to be very busy but mid-week will be a little bit less.

Don't worry about animal attacks - so rare. If you do plan to do some serious hiking in bear country you can bring bear spray- recently shown to be more effective at stopping a bear than a gun or you can just wear a bear bell or sing and you don't need to worry.

Have fun - take lots of pics. I second or third the vote for a GPS - that could also let you geocode your pics and have a map w/ the photos of your travels.